JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had this rifle for a few years that I've been working on and just found out after firing it that it's not the 7x57 that I had thought it was all these years. The cases come out all bigger then they went into it and after careful measuring I discovered it was a Ackley Improved version of it. So I'm a little bummed out because I don't have dies. Anyone out there have any dies for this dinosaur from the 60's. Rumor has it that Mr PO Ackley himself may have barreled my gun but the original owner at the time has long since passed into the hunting grounds of the sky. So it's hard to know for sure. At any rate I desperately need a set of dies. If anyone has a set in the bottom of their drawer I would love to purchase them from you. Also I need Reloading data if you have any.

Redding's catalogue lists the improved cartridge as well as CH4D.com

Other than that and unless someone here has a set, keep your eye out on gunbroker and such, they do come up once in awhile.

I have a 257 Roberts AI and it is a great shooter!

I was looking at the Redding catalog yesterday thought I saw a set of 7x57 AI dies. I doubled checked and sure enough they have a Full length resize die set (#80427) for $138 and a deluxe die set (#84427) for $217.50 on page 12 if you download the 2012 catalog.

I don't claim to know anything about the caliber you are using but just passing along info in case it will help you out. Good luck with the loading data.

Last Edited:
Try contacting the component company's. I have talked to Alliant, Hodgon and Hornady in the past and they all promptly provided me with information that was not published in the normal places. All the guys i talked to were very knowledgeable and friendly. It might be possible to compare a similar cartridge close in case capacity and go up from there. BUT that is some uncharted wildcat stuff and you would have to do some serious research prior to popping caps. Someone with Quick-Load might be able to give a starting load based on your measurements and components. Go easy and good luck, wildcats are pretty cool have fun

Graf&Sons has them in stock, $77.99, depending on which "improved" cartridge your rifle is chambered for.

Graf & Sons - 7mmx57 Imp

If it is indeed an "Ackley" chambering it is probably the 40 degree shoulder version, but it would be best to double check it, And call Grafs to make sure they are the right ones.

The dies are Redding and they are most likely as good as it gets.

Some people will tell you Ackley'ed chamberings use the max load for the standard cartridge as the starting load for the improved version.
I was not that brave.
I started the handloads for my 6.5x57 Ackley halfway between the min and max for the standard, and worked up in 1/2grain increments.
Or, you could look around on ebay or Amazon for a copy of the old "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" by P.O. Ackley. Data for it may be in there.
Good luck.

I've had this rifle for a few years that I've been working on and just found out after firing it that it's not the 7x57 that I had thought it was all these years. The cases come out all bigger then they went into it and after careful measuring I discovered it was a Ackley Improved version of it. So I'm a little bummed out because I don't have dies. Anyone out there have any dies for this dinosaur from the 60's. Rumor has it that Mr PO Ackley himself may have barreled my gun but the original owner at the time has long since passed into the hunting grounds of the sky. So it's hard to know for sure. At any rate I desperately need a set of dies. If anyone has a set in the bottom of their drawer I would love to purchase them from you. Also I need Reloading data if you have any.
those dies are readily avilable on e-bay, browells, craigs list, RCBS web page and many other places. I almost bought some on e-bay about a month ago on e-bay. I wish I had they were cheep. If you use a 140 grain bullet with IMR 3031 you will get 3124 fps. Look it up on Hogdn Reloading page. Just google it. Just fire form your factory ammo to get brass to reload. Amazon and e-bay have the ackley reloading manuels. There three of them in print with black covers. These are reprents and very reasonably priced. The originals have different covers and are very expensive. Welcome to the world of wildcat cartridges.

those dies are readily avilable on e-bay, browells, craigs list, RCBS web page and many other places. I almost bought some on e-bay about a month ago on e-bay. I wish I had they were cheep. If you use a 140 grain bullet with IMR 3031 you will get 3124 fps. Look it up on Hogdn Reloading page. Just google it. Just fire form your factory ammo to get brass to reload. Amazon and e-bay have the ackley reloading manuels. There three of them in print with black covers. These are reprents and very reasonably priced. The originals have different covers and are very expensive. Welcome to the world of wildcat cartridges.
Also, pick up a copy of the handloaders manuel of cartridge conversions and wildcat cartridges volume 2. I'm sorry load info was not on Hodgdon it is on load data.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top