JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking into getting either of the caliber rifles for the primary purpose of hunting with. Which do you guys think would be better for hunting big game with 7mm vs 300wm. I have heard different things about both calibers, so i would like to get some opinions and advise on the calibers.

thanks

JP

It comes down to if you reload and the availability of components.I think the 300 wins here.
I think the 300 has a tinsy bit more energy,but that's about it.Not enough to make a difference and since most guns come in both calibers,you can't worry about which one do you shoot better.

Chuck Hawks has an answer for everything
Rifle Ballistics Table - Improved

At the moment i have no way to reload my ammo i want to get into that but that's would be in the near future. So reloading aside you think they are very comparable with the 300wm only having a little more power?

Any north American game. I was primarily thinking deer/elk maybe some moose since my family knows some guides. I hunt in the Cascades a lot and also the Coastal range during coastal elk season. So i need an accurate round that can be used for some distance shots as well as closer shots that will not damage the meat.

they dont make a rifle that doesnt leave a hemotoma!

:s0114: haha okay you got me there. I meant not cause to much bloodshot meat, but yet be usable to deer/elk.
I know shot placement is key but i was wanting to get your guy's opinion on the rounds which would do better.

JP

Need more info. Where are you hunting? How far can you comfortably shoot? What are you hunting? "Big game" means many things to many people.

What do these things matter when both calibers are WAY more than needed for all North American game?
I don't get why people ask these type questions. He asked about how the 2 compare. So given hunting the same or ANY game at any difference,how do you think they compare?
Simple question.
The rest doesn't really matter does it? He didn't ask if he should buy a different caliber,like so many want to suggest on here.

So again,weather you will reload or not,both calibers are more than adequate for any North American game. Over kill for a 100# blacktail under 200 yards,but fine if you place the shot right.
As far as reloading goes,neither caliber is one you will want to shoot weekly (yeah some do) so you won't go through tons of ammo.

Really,just find the best deal on either one in the nicest rifle you can afford. Just put a good Leopold 3-9 or 3.5-14 VXIII on it.
Some like the synthetic and stainless for our weather around here.
I prefer wood and blue or stainless.Or a aftermarket synthetic stock.

Good luck
Just about the 2 calibers above.

What do these things matter when both calibers are WAY more than needed for all North American game?
I don't get why people ask these type questions. He asked about how the 2 compare. So given hunting the same or ANY game at any difference,how do you think they compare?
Simple question.
The rest doesn't really matter does it? He didn't ask if he should buy a different caliber,like so many want to suggest on here.

So again,weather you will reload or not,both calibers are more than adequate for any North American game. Over kill for a 100# blacktail under 200 yards,but fine if you place the shot right.
As far as reloading goes,neither caliber is one you will want to shoot weekly (yeah some do) so you won't go through tons of ammo.

Really,just find the best deal on either one in the nicest rifle you can afford. Just put a good Leopold 3-9 or 3.5-14 VXIII on it.
Some like the synthetic and stainless for our weather around here.
I prefer wood and blue or stainless.Or a aftermarket synthetic stock.

Good luck
Just about the 2 calibers above.

He said nothing about North American game in his original post and did make mention of Moose, so I asked a question to clarify. Frankly for what he wants to do I fully agree with you. He'd be better suited with a. 308, 7mm-08 or. 30-06. 6.5x55 Swede would be up there as well.

First find someone with a 7mm mag or a 300 win mag and take it to a range and shoot it 5 times. After that decide. Both are depending on how loaded Brutal when it comes to recoil.

I work one of our gun clubs sight in benches during our month long sight in service in Sept. And rarely do I see a shooter that will put 10 rounds through either no matter how the things shoot on paper. And they tend to induce flinching more then almost any other caliber commonly brought out.

Unless you planning on reloading for other calibers you will never shoot enough 7mm mag or 300 win mag to justify the cost of the equipment. Sitting at a bench and shooting 20+ rounds of either just won't happen.

IMHO

I recently purchased a 7mm Mag and was surprised how managable the recoil was, I bench shot it with only the recoil pad on the factory stock, could have shot the entire box of shells without developing a flinch. It's all in the stock design. I've had 30-06's that have kicked the crap out of me.

Tell me more; what rifle did you buy? Mine gives me a headache after 6 rds!
I recently purchased a 7mm Mag and was surprised how managable the recoil was, I bench shot it with only the recoil pad on the factory stock, could have shot the entire box of shells without developing a flinch. It's all in the stock design. I've had 30-06's that have kicked the crap out of me.

Both will get the job done no problem, I like the .30 over the 7mm because there are more factory loads out there to choose from. A wider range of bullet weights and designs to choose from.

I reload but not for my 300WM I found a factory load that gives me a ragged hole grouping. I won't be able to reload a round better than that, and I would spend a bunch of money trying to figure out that load.

I did extensive research between the 2 about 20 years ago. Went thru several reloading manuals, talked to lots of people. "Point blank range" and energy was the main criteria I used for my research. After about 6-8 months of research I determined that the 7mm Mag with 175 grain bullets gave the best performance for what I was looking for.

I went next door to the gun store and bought a Winchester Featherweight in .300 WM. Why? Cuz they had it on the shelf and I liked the way it felt. Fit me perfectly! Have shot it lots of times. Very accurate. Harvested a really nice buck with it in Montana a couple of years later.

What do I hunt with now? My Browning A Bolt .270 that I got about 5 years before the .300. Why? I dunno.... bullets are cheaper? I'm still shooting boxes I bought 10 years ago.

Moral to my story is just buy what you like. In fact... you should buy both!

U
I did extensive research between the 2 about 20 years ago. Went thru several reloading manuals, talked to lots of people. "Point blank range" and energy was the main criteria I used for my research. After about 6-8 months of research I determined that the 7mm Mag with 175 grain bullets gave the best performance for what I was looking for.

I went next door to the gun store and bought a Winchester Featherweight in .300 WM. Why? Cuz they had it on the shelf and I liked the way it felt. Fit me perfectly! Have shot it lots of times. Very accurate. Harvested a really nice buck with it in Montana a couple of years later.

What do I hunt with now? My Browning A Bolt .270 that I got about 5 years before the .300. Why? I dunno.... bullets are cheaper? I'm still shooting boxes I bought 10 years ago.

Moral to my story is just buy what you like. In fact... you should buy both!

I do plan on owning both eventually. I was just asking about them now bc I have to choose soon as I am looking at both of them to replace my main hunting rifle .303 British I wanted more range and more oomph and if I get one now I can practice a while before next season and get good with it so I can make a accurate humane kill shots.
At this point in time I am leaning more toward the 7mm because I found one at a good price.

Jp

Unless you're going to practice at longer ranges, what the cartridge is capable of is a non-issue.

That .303 will kill anything you've mentioned at reasonable (250-ish and less) yards.

The 7mm will kick less in a like rifle than the 300. The 7mm has great BC bullets, especially when you get into some of the heavier bullets.

The 300WM will kick more, deliver a heavier bullet with not much more drop and will carry more energy. (roughly speaking)

I will (probably) ruffle feathers a little, but I'd pick a 30-06 over a 7mm. Oh wait, I've been doing that for years!:s0114:

After killing Elk at distance with a 7mm mag. I opted for a .300 Wby mag. Fact is: .300's hit alot harder at 300 plus yds, but they both kill with good shot placement(spotter reqd). For deer, I went to a 6.5 mm., I think 7mm mags are bit much for that size game.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top