JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK I finally got some time to shoot my 7mag with a chrono. I was pleasantly surprised with the max speed. I did make one mistake. I didn't have the chrono set up correctly when I shot my Money charge(I had only 3 rounds of this), so I got no results for that one. That charge is 62.6gr RL22. I did get 9 shots at 63gr RL22. I shot offhand at a target 75 yards away. It was sunny with wind and 30 degrees at around 600' elevation.

9 shots. Fully preped Remmington brass. 162gr ELDx. 63gr RL22. CCI250 primer. COAL 3.396 Rem 700 24" barrel. 30F. 600' elevation.

Average speed 2886
High 2905
Low 2859
Extreme spread 46
Standard deviation 14.7

I'm pretty happy with that. I did think the spread would be a little better with all of the attention to detail I take with my brass with this rifle. I wonder what the velocity would be with my "money" charge? only .4 of a grain difference. And how does this data apply at a higher elevation, say, 5000'?

I'll be the guy who you didn't ask for his opinion but he offers it anyway.

Your velocities aren't any better than a .30-06. I shoot the 162 ELDX out of two 7mm Rem Mags using Reloader 26. 69 grains (start low and work up) gives me 3100 fps and .6" groups. Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer, ES in single digits and I don't pay attention to SD.

For me, if I'm gonna shoot a magnum I want a magnum.

I get 2800 fps from my 7mm-08 Rem using Big Game with 150 ELDX.

P

Pharm. Not gonna lie. I would like 3000fps, and agree that if you shoot a Mag you should get Mag performance, but the groups open up after 63 grains of RL22. I am just happy velocities are above 2850. Others have reported 2650-2750 with similar charge weights. I am going to try RL23 next and if I could ever locate the elusive RL26 try it too.

Pharm. Not gonna lie. I would like 3000fps, and agree that if you shoot a Mag you should get Mag performance, but the groups open up after 63 grains of RL22. I am just happy velocities are above 2850. Others have reported 2650-2750 with similar charge weights. I am going to try RL23 next and if I could ever locate the elusive RL26 try it too.

I would definitely try another powder, you should be able to get more speed than that accurately I would imagine.

I'm with Pharm on this one. I've tried RL22 in a couple 7mm mags and wasn't happy with it. Even though it's a popular powder for the cartridge. After talking to our friend Bobin, he convinced me to try RL25 in one of my 7mm rem mags and what a pleasant surprise, same accuracy as RL22, but found my 3,050 fps I was looking for..... OP, you may also want to try some RL25, if you can't find any 26. Good luck with it. The 7mm mag is one of my favorites.
I'll be the guy who you didn't ask for his opinion but he offers it anyway.

Your velocities aren't any better than a .30-06. I shoot the 162 ELDX out of two 7mm Rem Mags using Reloader 26. 69 grains (start low and work up) gives me 3100 fps and .6" groups. Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer, ES in single digits and I don't pay attention to SD.

For me, if I'm gonna shoot a magnum I want a magnum.

I get 2800 fps from my 7mm-08 Rem using Big Game with 150 ELDX.

P

I'm okay with a lie every now and then. Reloader 26 is fairly available. Heck, Cabelas in Springfield even had some, and they're a clothing store.

P

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top