JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been shooting my Browning Hells canyon more and more, because it is just plain fun. It has the lighter fluted barrel and I am shooting a 150 grain at 3000ish feet per second. I know that there are a ton of variables, I am just trying to get a general idea of what the barrel life will be.

When cleaning I have been doing a deep clean with a copper solvent every 100ish rounds, and just oil and a snake in between. I never let the barrel get overly hot (I am shooting three round springs with rest between strings and I am not doing fast strings, and only shoot factory ammo.

If anyone thinks this thread would be better else where that is fine just thought that the competition guys may have higher round counts than the average person.

I guess i should add the gun (bench, bags, and what not) gets dime sized groups at 100 yards. When should I see that open up to 1.5 or great.. when will it double in size. I did some sleuthing and saw most folks say in the 2K range, but that is in the sniper/target/comp world with, I am assuming, a heavy profile barrel.

just looking to get an idea about barrel length on a 7mm, figured I would beat all the questions and the "depends" with some extra information.

• More powder in a narrower caliber = less barrel life
  • Hotter loads = less barrel life
If you reload, find a suite spot that will get you accuracy, and barely enough velocity to satifsy long range capability to maximize your shooting joy. Speed means hotter loads, and is a barrel killer.

That said, you should get at least 1500 rounds.

I just hit 260, when I first got the gun I was on a budget and doing just enough to go shooting. I am starting to do a lot more reloading and also can afford more ammo. It sounds like a 100 or so rounds a year to stay comfortable with the gun, and get something a little different for high volume shooting.

After dialing my hunting rifles in with handloads they like, I limit the shooting of them to preserve barrel life. Muscle memory and shooting skills can be maintained by shooting a cheaper gun in a cheaper to shoot cartridge. My current favorite for cheap trigger time is an Ar I built in 7.62x39. Very economical to feed and the thing is surprisingly accurate.

In my experience when shooting fast stepping caliber rifles...the most damage to barrel life occurs when continuing to shoot after the barrel gets hot....what is too hot...?
I think "too hot" depends on the rifle , the load used and how fast you shoot and the area in which you are shooting in.

Since you state that you are not shooting fast shot strings...I wouldn't be overly worried.
Andy

My rifle came with a nice cushy pad and a vey effective brake, I have shot 40 in a day and not even a little sore at the end. I will say that when one forgets hearing protection, that is painful.