JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Same poll also states more people like the NRA than Pres. Obama. It looks groan worthy until you realize who conducted the poll, how, and who commissioned it:

Polling done by: <broken link removed> .
A firm that specializes in conducting polling for Democratic Party candidates and progressive causes. Surprising (or not) they've conducted similar gun control polls with similar results in other spots around the country.
They were also caught last year <broken link removed> .
The Public Policy Polling does sound very high tech if you read their " <broken link removed> " page. From their own description they sound capable of polling juuuuust the right demographic their customer may want. And they can do it many times as it costs so little to conduct.

The poll appears to be hosted/commissioned by: Center for American Progress Action Fund.
Just follow the link to the poll from the <broken link removed>. The Oregonian was at least thoughtful enough to copy and re-host the report so as to leave no trace.
Per Wikipedia "The Center for American Progress is a left wing public policy research and advocacy organization. Its website states that the organization is "dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action".[2] The Center presents a liberal[3]viewpoint on economic issues. It has its headquarters in Washington, D.C.[4]. Its President and chief executive officer is Neera Tanden, who worked for the Obama and Clinton administrations and for Hillary Clinton's campaigns.[5] "

The old Oregon poll quote of "81%" was completed almost one year ago to the day (just weeks after Newton) So I guess someone thought it needed a refresh. Funny thing is background checks ranked 3rd as most important to poll respondents at the time. Support in general for gun control has fallen since then.
(numbers are FAV OPP DK)
A. Improving the mental health system to identify and treat potential assailants ...................................................91.....6.....3
B. Providing schools with financial help for security measures, such as doors with card locks and security cameras ...........84....12....4
C. Requiring background checks for all gun sales, including sales between individuals ........................................... ...81....16....3

A relevant rank as it is obvious that if Oregon has a problem it's mental health/suicide. Not so much criminal behavior (unless you live in a high crime area). <broken link removed> (81% of firearm fatalities). And just a little more on historical <broken link removed> .

As for the new poll, just look at the first question about background checks:
Do you support or oppose requiring a criminal background check of every person who wants to buy a firearm? In other words, should a criminal be allowed to buy a firearm with no restrictions.
The rest of the poll is more of the same, along with polling on how you might support representatives who would allow criminals to buy any weapon they wanted, or so I believe the poll try's to imply.

So Oregon representatives; Why work so hard on a bill (SB 1551) that won't address the obvious problem (mental health) much less gun-violence (a next to none existing problem in most of Oregon) that even more Oregonian voters wanted addressed than background checks? What's been done about making schools safer? Stop playing politics and fix something that actually needs fixing!

And finally, I wonder what this poll would look like if it were conducted in Oregon?

Not a great title to put more of the net :(

As far as Polls, 99% of them all are BS and the anti gun ones are fixed and fully twisted to the lefts viewpoint.
No value can be put on them in the least.

Not a great title to put more of the net :(
On the contrary, if it can be clearly busted as biased, misleading and unreliable I would think we would want to lead people to the information. It was very late for me last night when I posted and had that opinion, so I am open to counter thoughts. :)

The problem with polls is that people tend to believe the ones that comport with their beliefs. Of course they can be constructed to prove anything the testers want to, but that doesn't automatically make them all worthless. The problem isn't with polling per se, but with the human tendency toward "confirmation bias."

To get back to the point, F2F sales in Oregon pose a potential risk, and it makes sense to at least have the discussion about it. In WA there's a proposal for exceptions to the universal background-check requirement: selling to an immediate family member or to someone with a CPL. I don't like the idea of universal background checks but I can see the logic of it, and if those two exceptions were in place, there wouldn't be any added burden or cost to me.

They only polled 750 people out of the around 3.899 million that live in Oregon. I guess they think it is fair that 750 people get to decide what Oregon thinks about background checks, this poll is such BS!!!!!!!!

This very question -
"Do you support or oppose requiring a criminal background check of every person who wants to buy a firearm? In other words, should a criminal be allowed to buy a firearm with no restrictions." completely negates the survey....

You can get any response you wish simply by asking the right questions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top