JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
which included a 97-year-old veteran...

Mass parachute drop marks Battle of Arnhem

While I was visiting Oosterbeek Cemetery a few years ago, i chanced on a maroon-beret-wearing old soldier visiting his brother, who had died on the fifth day of the hand-to-hand battle in the town. Both were medics, and both had jumped about ten minutes apart, but had only briefly encountered each other in the mayhem that followed.

His brother had died whilst giving aid to a German soldier.

It was that kind of fight, sometimes.

I just finished reading 'A Screaming Eagle in Holland, The Road to Arnhem' for about the 5th time. Field Marshall Montgomery 'Monty' and his tanker corp commander General Horrocks left those paratroopers hanging in the wind there @ Arnhem. ( no pun intended). Operation Market Garden called for speed, daring and down to the minute timetable ... none of that was in Monty's tool kit.

I just finished reading 'A Screaming Eagle in Holland, The Road to Arnhem' for about the 5th time. Field Marshall Montgomery 'Monty' and his tanker corp commander General Horrocks left those paratroopers hanging in the wind there @ Arnhem. ( no pun intended). Operation Market Garden called for speed, daring and down to the minute timetable ... none of that was in Monty's tool kit.
Patton would have been the guy for that job.

Or Rommel. Sadly, he fought on the wrong side. My late Uncle Micky, who had also been on the losing side, worshipped him. as an aside, he noted that Montgomery was not overly respected by the Wehrmacht, in spite of what appeared to be great successes in Africa, based mostly on other generals' stamina and determination. His nick-name for Monty was General Wartensee - a German pun, of all things, meaning General Wait and See.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads