Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

75 yr old ... vrs. snake... vrs. .38

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rusobr2, Sep 13, 2011.

1. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

reported by NYT.....

VOLUSIA, Fla. -- A 75-year-old Florida man was recovering Saturday after accidentally shooting himself while trying to shoot a snake.

Police responded to a report of a man with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a home in Volusia, Fla., about 17 miles south of Daytona Beach, at around 4 p.m. Thursday, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

When officers arrived on the scene they found 75-year-old Garrett Bauernschmidt suffering from gunshot wounds to two fingers on his left hand.

His caretaker told police that she had come home to find a large water moccasin snake near the front door. Bauernschmidt got a .38 caliber handgun, fired one shot at the snake and missed. The gun discharged a second time as he manipulated the safety, injuring him. No one else was injured in the incident, and the snake got away.

Don't blame me! A water mocassin escaped after a Florida man tried to shoot it, but instead blew off part of his own hand. Bauernschmidt was treated at the scene, then taken to a local hospital. A family member on Saturday told the News-Journal that he was fine but declined further comment

maybe this is why he has a caretaker...go figure

steven

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

3. Bellehood

Bellehood Bellevue, WA Member

"manipulated the safety..." on a .38 ... not the first time I've read an article claiming to use a "safety" on a revolver, and the first one was in the magazine "Special Weapons" so I guess I can't really blame this guy

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

For all most of the media know about firearms it could have been a bazooka.

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

They didn't call it a Glock which is surprising.

6. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

Might have been a .380