Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

75 yr old ... vrs. snake... vrs. .38

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rusobr2, Sep 13, 2011.

1. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

reported by NYT.....

VOLUSIA, Fla. -- A 75-year-old Florida man was recovering Saturday after accidentally shooting himself while trying to shoot a snake.

Police responded to a report of a man with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a home in Volusia, Fla., about 17 miles south of Daytona Beach, at around 4 p.m. Thursday, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

When officers arrived on the scene they found 75-year-old Garrett Bauernschmidt suffering from gunshot wounds to two fingers on his left hand.

His caretaker told police that she had come home to find a large water moccasin snake near the front door. Bauernschmidt got a .38 caliber handgun, fired one shot at the snake and missed. The gun discharged a second time as he manipulated the safety, injuring him. No one else was injured in the incident, and the snake got away.

Don't blame me! A water mocassin escaped after a Florida man tried to shoot it, but instead blew off part of his own hand. Bauernschmidt was treated at the scene, then taken to a local hospital. A family member on Saturday told the News-Journal that he was fine but declined further comment

maybe this is why he has a caretaker...go figure

steven

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

3. Bellehood

Bellehood Bellevue, WA Member

"manipulated the safety..." on a .38 ... not the first time I've read an article claiming to use a "safety" on a revolver, and the first one was in the magazine "Special Weapons" so I guess I can't really blame this guy

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

For all most of the media know about firearms it could have been a bazooka.

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

They didn't call it a Glock which is surprising.

6. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

Might have been a .380