JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
reported by NYT.....

VOLUSIA, Fla. -- A 75-year-old Florida man was recovering Saturday after accidentally shooting himself while trying to shoot a snake.

Police responded to a report of a man with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a home in Volusia, Fla., about 17 miles south of Daytona Beach, at around 4 p.m. Thursday, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

When officers arrived on the scene they found 75-year-old Garrett Bauernschmidt suffering from gunshot wounds to two fingers on his left hand.

His caretaker told police that she had come home to find a large water moccasin snake near the front door. Bauernschmidt got a .38 caliber handgun, fired one shot at the snake and missed. The gun discharged a second time as he manipulated the safety, injuring him. No one else was injured in the incident, and the snake got away.

Don't blame me! A water mocassin escaped after a Florida man tried to shoot it, but instead blew off part of his own hand. Bauernschmidt was treated at the scene, then taken to a local hospital. A family member on Saturday told the News-Journal that he was fine but declined further comment

maybe this is why he has a caretaker...go figure

steven

"manipulated the safety..." on a .38 ... not the first time I've read an article claiming to use a "safety" on a revolver, and the first one was in the magazine "Special Weapons" so I guess I can't really blame this guy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top