JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And none of the local news stations are covering these fires. Just the Eagle Creek wildfire...

VERY STRANGE.

And because the terrain between here n' Multnomah Falls is so steep and hard to get to I don't see this fire stopping anytime soon. They should've been hammering that fire in the early stages. If this fire can jump the Columbia it won't have any problems jumping over the Sandy. Controlled burns won't work, even if they're as wide as the Columbia River. The fire will jump right over it.

Don't wait until the fire is at your doorstep or for when the smoke is so thick you can't breathe. Look at the Chetco Bar fire, it has been burning since July 12th, 143,000 acres last I heard. No serious measures have been taken to stop it. There should be plane after plane hitting these wildfires. For some reason that is not happening.

They're downplaying this. I don't believe they can contain the Eagle Creek fire because of the terrain and lack of air response.

Last Edited:
Welcome to the new normal - very dry and hot summers, combined with even more stupid people, especially on holidays and lightning (it seems most of these fires were caused by lightning) and you get a conflagration.

I predict another winter like last one, wet and cold with wind, but it might be normal or near normal. But summers are definitely trending towards hot and dry.

Climate change, regardless of cause, is a fact, and we will have to adapt to deal with it. So is population growth.

Time to look at what other folks are needing now and step up. I sent out an email today to acquaintances in the fire area (I'm lazy and basically copy-pasted it with a few changes) Basic version was: "I saw that the damned fire just jumped the river. The freeway is closed, etc, etc. If if gets bad for you and you need a place to evacuate to, you all, all dogs included, are welcome to stay with us. Fenced backyard, the dogs will sort out who's who so no worries about that."

Could get crowded if we don't get some rain and folks relatives happen to be out of town or just not answering the phone:)

BTW, as long as we are talking about fireproof homes. Folks were making fun of a Vietnamese architect in Oakland for building a home out of thick concrete. Until the Oakland fire occurred that is.

The after fire photo below:

th?id=OIP.TyHbDaad_YaYdvi3Z3mGjgEsCl&pid=15.jpg

I was up in the Goat Rocks wilderness, hiking up to the top of Old Snowy when the Eagle Creek fire restarted. Last Saturday, just before heading down to Houston.
At 10:30, there was no fire. At 13:00, a good pillar of smoke was rising. What gets me, is if this is "lightening", where the F were the clouds? I guess you don't need clouds for ligntening?

I've got friends from SE Portland and Camas coming by with their essentials to camp out on my property. My house is small but I have a ton of land. If I had livestock fence I'd be offering to house displaced animals as well.

I'm trying to figure out why authorities have not called on every able bodied man available to help with these fires.
Visibility in Boise and the treasure valley is sub three miles.
Unbelievable, really.

I'm trying to figure out why authorities have not called on every able bodied man available to help with these fires.
Visibility in Boise and the treasure valley is sub three miles.
Unbelievable, really.
Because just like shooting at a public range like Brown's Camp, 3/4 of "every able bodied man" is more a threat to you and your life than the fire. @Ura-Ki , you can weigh in here please, but firefighting is akin to mountain climbing or submarines. The noobs, the idiots, and the no-common-sensers are the ones who will kill you.

Interesting, I thought it had more to do with the forest services new motto " let it burn".

Hadn't thought of anyone actually giving a chit.
No idiots, smart.

Not sure what is being asked here, but I can answer some of it. Why are we not seeing more boots on the ground? You have to remember there are only a certain number of people that are able to fight this type of fire, there is only a certain number of trucks capable of supporting those actions, and with as many fires burning through out the West, resources are spread very thin. Add in the different agencies who have to hold until other agencies request action. My self, I have yet to be called up for any of these fires, part of the problem here is they haven't released the funds from the state's and the feds by declaring a state of emergency, so they are also hambstringing the folks that are fighting these fires by not bringing in the out side professional hot shots. I would fly home and grab both trucks and all other gear and be back to or. In 36 hours and on the fires with a full team ready to go, but until the gov'ness asks for Fed assistance, I would be sitting there and not helping any One! There are about 100 hot shot companies like mine all over the west, and only California has asked for help so far, Montana just asked for help, and if the call goes out, I might end up there instead of here:(:(:(

Not sure what is being asked here, but I can answer some of it. Why are we not seeing more boots on the ground? You have to remember there are only a certain number of people that are able to fight this type of fire, there is only a certain number of trucks capable of supporting those actions, and with as many fires burning through out the West, resources are spread very thin. Add in the different agencies who have to hold until other agencies request action. My self, I have yet to be called up for any of these fires, part of the problem here is they haven't released the funds from the state's and the feds by declaring a state of emergency, so they are also hambstringing the folks that are fighting these fires by not bringing in the out side professional hot shots. I would fly home and grab both trucks and all other gear and be back to or. In 36 hours and on the fires with a full team ready to go, but until the gov'ness asks for Fed assistance, I would be sitting there and not helping any One! There are about 100 hot shot companies like mine all over the west, and only California has asked for help so far, Montana just asked for help, and if the call goes out, I might end up there instead of here:(:(:(

If you get called be safe brother.

should Sacrifice the Gov to the angry fire gods to appease them.. if that dont work, we can toss the house and senate as well.

images.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews