JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have never been satisfied with GORE TEX head gear (your mileage may vary), so I have been searching for a local Portland made product OTTER WAX with no luck, so, I defaulted to good old, Peoples Republic of Seattle, Filson Oil Finish Wax.

After working into the seams and surface and hitting with a hair dryer on HIGH, first test was great. Not noisy, after a one hour in the rain walk, minimal inside moisture, mainly on the rear main vertical seam. After a second coat, with obvious extra attention to all seams, I am satisfied with the results.

Now on to the flashlight reflection tests in darkness. If anyone owning a GEN III Night Vision Device tries this, please post the results?

MultiCam_Boonie_Filson_Finish.jpg

Just me and I am a mindless old fool but that would not be my choice of headgear or dress if it were a SHTF. I tend toward a chameleon approach that let's you wear what you need in clothing but doesn't stand out sending a message. Not being critical mind you but we all look at people and profile them. It's better to not stand out.

I guess if you have a plan that you will live in the woods it will work out for you:D

No, this is just a practical piece of dog walking kit. Working in downtown Portland, it's chameleon wear 7x24x365. My 30 year old truck looks like it was resurrected from a wrecking yard and runs like a sewing machine. My laptop pack blends right in. I seriously doubt you could pick me out of the crowd. Now, at 4:30 AM when I am walking the dogs, I am completely alone (except for two rottweilers).

I walk the dog too, he is a good boy.:D Long walks help the body and gives the mind an uncluttered time to think. Since I only have one dog I carry an umbrella for rain. It has many uses from concealment to a weapon yet looks as normal as sunshine. I wear a Filson wool hat on the cold days and it looks normal for my age. I blend in just fine.

I have a brown Filson Tin Cloth Hat with the wool lining and fold down ear flaps. It does shed the water just fine.

I find it too hot to wear except when the temps get down below the teens at least, which is almost never here.

I need to get an unlined one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads