JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We could even get more specific like retro classic movie match. You can use any long gun and handgun as long as it was used in that movie. Obvious we would be very liberal about exact models, makes and copies. It would be a little work but the real difficult part would be finding a range willing to do it.

It would be a little work but the real difficult part would be finding a range willing to do it.
some of the past SASS annual matches have been themed after a particular Western movie. It was always a hoot seeing how that was worked in to the regular firing line details. Extra scenery, sometimes lines to repeat; various scenarios with a given attempt to roughly mimic, ah yes. :D

Custer Sportsmens club has a 2 gun match similar to what is going on here that we run every month it's called Practical Rifle it's held on the second Sun of each month. It requires the most vetting of a shooter to be able to shoot of any of our disciplines. You can mix and match any pistol or rifle. I shoot Classic Battle Rifle division quite often with a SA 45 and an M1a Scout or M1 carbine.

Andy your wish is granted we have guys shoot 12 ga. with slugs and 45's quite often. Nothing further out than 120 yds.. Can you do it?? :D These guys are!

The problem with what is being proposed in this OP scenario is the inherent safety issues! Doubtful any club would sign on to someone competing with a shoulder rig. (It breaks the 180 plane massively).

That being said we are having a zombie match later this year that will be run in the practical rifle discipline. It's a fund raiser for the Toys for Tots organization. We are the top or one of the top donors locally usually around 12K$ for that match and donations. The discipline chair is awesome and no doubt the match will have some kind of theme! I will try to keep everyone updated here better on our matches. We have something going on every weekend day of the month.

Greg

Custer Sportsmens club has a 2 gun match similar to what is going on here that we run every month it's called Practical Rifle it's held on the second Sun of each month. It requires the most vetting of a shooter to be able to shoot of any of our disciplines. You can mix and match any pistol or rifle. I shoot Classic Battle Rifle division quite often with a SA 45 and an M1a Scout or M1 carbine.

Andy your wish is granted we have guys shoot 12 ga. with slugs and 45's quite often. Nothing further out than 120 yds.. Can you do it?? :D These guys are!

The problem with what is being proposed in this OP scenario is the inherent safety issues! Doubtful any club would sign on to someone competing with a shoulder rig. (It breaks the 180 plane massively).

That being said we are having a zombie match later this year that will be run in the practical rifle discipline. It's a fund raiser for the Toys for Tots organization. We are the top or one of the top donors locally usually around 12K$ for that match and donations. The discipline chair is awesome and no doubt the match will have some kind of theme! I will try to keep everyone updated here better on our matches. We have something going on every weekend day of the month.

Greg

We can work on safety details, im just wanting to see if a range would be interested in hosting.

Gotcha, we are up at the very north end of Western Washington about 15 min. from the Canadian Border. Not sure if that fits your parameters or not. We have limited days available for extra matches but where I was going with my diatribe above was the possibility of incorporating it with something we have going that is very similar to what you're envisioning. We are always open to hearing new ideas I'm on the board there.
My apologies if you feel that I hijacked the thread!

Just talked to @Cerberus Group and it looks like we might have a range. I will start working theme and range design, I am thinking 70's and 80's action movies/ TV show. Any firearm found within that area or copy of a firearm found in that area would be good. As far as optics I think it will mostly be iron sights unless you have an optic made durring that time frame or a copy of one made durring that time frame. An example being if someone has a Steyr Aug and they want to run it that would be ok. Basically any gun that was made or designed in that time frame. Still working out the points system but Im thinking well mainly shoot steel. Heres some ideas for divisons.

Dirty Harry/ Police academy
-Rife: many make, model or design from the 70's and 80's that was used by Law enforcement. Think M1 carbines, M16 clones (retro rifles), Mini 14 exc.
-Handgun revolver: any revolver from the time frame bigger than a .38 special, speed loaders are allowed
-no optics or red dots

Commando
-Rifle many make, model or design from the 70's and 80's with a magazine limit of 30 rounds. Think M1 carbines, M16 clones (retro rifles), Mini 14, Fal, G3, AK 47, AK 74
-Handgun: Any handgun with a magazine limit of 15 rounds or less as long as the design was before 1989. Think M10's, M11's, Beretta 92's, CZ 75, 1911
-No optics or red dots

Drug Lord
-Rifle: Any rifle from the time frame with no magazine limit as long as the design was before 1989 Think Ak's, M16 clones (retro rifles), Fal, G3, Ak 47, Ak 74
-Handgun: Any handgun with no magazine limit as long as the design was before 1989. Think M10's, M11's, Beretta 92's, CZ 75, 1911
-Any sight does as long as it was created or is a copy of something created in the 70's and 80's

Im sure their will be plenty of "can I shoot this..." This is just a general idea and is definitely going to change. The point of this is to have fun. If you want to dress up as a Character from Miami Vice or Magnum Pi you can do it. If you want to dress up as a Character from Red Dawn, First Blood, or Die Hard you can do it. Or if you want to get your Scarface, Deer hunter, Deathwish or the countless other movies you can. Its all about imagination and creativity and to get a break from how the usual shooting match is constructed.

Let me know your thoughts and if anyone else wants to help that would be great

I will be in trial May 20-June 1stish, and then July 8-15ish, can we please schedule it for early June?

I am glad to help plan. Where can I rent a Ferrari 308 Magnum car? We can have a photo booth for donations to a charity (Project Childsafe, pro 2A...)

I know I am stepping on Steve's shoes, but a few ideas for brainstorming:

Invite the sheriffs who are speaking up for our rights.

Designate someone who is proficient with a camera to take photos (safely).

Invite a couple manufacturers to bring demo guns/silencers.

Invite local media to come watch and learn about gun safety.

Had a good talk with @Savage Jav , and got some preliminary items discussed and a short range list of things to look at. Been doing classes here for over a year, so nothing earth shattering on my end.

He will be coming up and checking out my facilities...should have the second pit installed this month sometime...waiting for the ground to dry a bit.

First and foremost is safety, which will be strictly watched. I have a crew of instructors, range people and medics, so those parts are covered.

As for shoulder holsters, if there's a way to make it work safely, we will make it work. May have to designate the 2nd pit for that, but we will figure it out.

I will take care of the range details, you folks can get together and figure out how you want it to be presented...such as some of the ideas that @Savage Jav suggested.

Maybe if right handed shoulder holster shooters are on far left of pit with RSO to their right, nobody would get flagged. Dry (unloaded) demonstration to RSO's satisfaction before being allowed to draw and fire from holster.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top