JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will be in trial May 20-June 1stish, and then July 8-15ish, can we please schedule it for early June?

I am glad to help plan. Where can I rent a Ferrari 308 Magnum car? We can have a photo booth for donations to a charity (Project Childsafe, pro 2A...)

I know I am stepping on Steve's shoes, but a few ideas for brainstorming:

Invite the sheriffs who are speaking up for our rights.

Designate someone who is proficient with a camera to take photos (safely).

Invite a couple manufacturers to bring demo guns/silencers.

Invite local media to come watch and learn about gun safety.

Not stepping on my toes any...am happy to accommodate whatever I can.

I have a friend that does photography and has a drone for video.

Since most everyone by now knows my Sheriff, Bob Songer...the one that started opposing 1639, I will ask to have him make an appearance.

I also have a friend that reps for Surefire, Springfield, Trijicon and a few others, will see if he can attend and have items to show and test.

I'm thinking June or first week of July, I wound be around for a few months after September. I'll have to think about the shoulder holster. Obviously safety is a paramount but I don't think most guys would want to draw an empty gun from a shoulder holster and reload. Maybe some kind of condition 3 but we'll have to think about it. For now let's work on drawing up interest in it. Does us no good to plan if no one wants to come or don't show up.

I've got some ideas on the shoulder holster thing that would work, with safety in place.

One person at a time in the 2nd pit with an RSO while that's going on...but whatever the group decides is ok with me.

re: shoulder holsters
I competed in SASS for several seasons with a then-period-correct shoulder holster while following the range safety rules. The basic design worked very well (for example) "Rt handed" shooter, facing downrange, to rotate body to the right so the muzzle was always pointed downrange during the drawn. Under the watchful eyes of all manner of observers, this was adjudged to be a safe/legal/practical solution. These were a simpler 'Jackass Holster Co.' design that essentially was a leather bucket that required drawing upward a few inches while dropping the right elbow downward as the muzzle elevated from the holster (pointed downrange of course); Short barrels & slow draws probably helped.

What DIDN'T work, was the 70s style large frame vertical holster with the heavy spring clip closing the grip-side of the pistol, due to some part of the shooter generally being swept in the process of unlimbering the weapon.

Just for consideration of the stage/holster designs.

This is definitely something I am interested in trying, being retro you could also incorporate retro paper targets for some stage scoring. Could also include stages from the older pistol matches such as the following, commonly shot in Australia but I believe to be a derivative of an old FBI course of fire

Course of Fire.
First Series.

The first series is shot at 50 yards from the targets.
6 shots target 4 - prone (lying down).
6 shots target 3 - sitting or kneeling.
6 shots target 2 - right side of barricade.
6 shots target 1 - left side of barricade in 165 seconds
Score and Patch.

Next courses of fire shot at 25, 10 and 7 yards can be seen at the following link under service and service unrestricted at the top of the match list, includes weak hand and unsighted (below shoulder height) courses of fire as well
Match Descriptions.

This match also give me an exuse to go out and buy some more interesting and unique firearms from that era that wouldnt be shot commonly in matches anymore... Maybe its time to buy that 357 Coonan.

This is definitely something I am interested in trying, being retro you could also incorporate retro paper targets for some stage scoring. Could also include stages from the older pistol matches such as the following, commonly shot in Australia but I believe to be a derivative of an old FBI course of fire

Course of Fire.
First Series.

The first series is shot at 50 yards from the targets.
6 shots target 4 - prone (lying down).
6 shots target 3 - sitting or kneeling.
6 shots target 2 - right side of barricade.
6 shots target 1 - left side of barricade in 165 seconds
Score and Patch.

Next courses of fire shot at 25, 10 and 7 yards can be seen at the following link under service and service unrestricted at the top of the match list, includes weak hand and unsighted (below shoulder height) courses of fire as well
Match Descriptions.

This match also give me an exuse to go out and buy some more interesting and unique firearms from that era that wouldnt be shot commonly in matches anymore... Maybe its time to buy that 357 Coonan.

Thats a possibility for a stage but say at 15 yards qnd pistol only. I was thinking of getting inspiration from movies or TV shows kinda like some of the matches they do at Inrange TV. Im a big fan of their keeping it practical but creative. I do also prefer steel targets as opposed to paper. I definitely want to lean towards more movement and physical challenges, nothing too crazy but keep it practical.

Also if anyone wants to do bring out NFA iteams please do. Full auto, sbr's and supressors. The range is about 200 yards long maximum so even your sub guns can be effective. And I plan to base the stages around being completed with an iron sighted AK 47

And a 9mm although i'm thinking well make it two hits for semi autos and 1 hit for the people running wheel guns. Let me now your thoughts

Last Edited:
My '76 GCNM was designed to run 185's slow enough that if you didn't like where it was going to hit, you'd run downrange and adjust the trajectory before it got to the target.

My own 78 GCNM :eek:didn't like anything but 230 RN. :confused: Over or under, fail to feed/slide issues. 230s.....zero problems.

Thats a possibility for a stage but say at 15 yards qnd pistol only. I was thinking of getting inspiration from movies or TV shows kinda like some of the matches they do at Inrange TV. Im a big fan of their keeping it practical but creative. I do also prefer steel targets as opposed to paper. I definitely want to lean towards more movement and physical challenges, nothing too crazy but keep it practical.

Either way sounds great to me!

Im thinking 4 stages. 3 long gun/handgun and 1 handgun only stage. One stage with some intermediate distances (100m or so), 1 stage close range (50ish M), 1 stage cqb (under 50m) and the pistol stage. Not too sure on round count but I imagine the CQB stage being a little higher count but nothing that wont be able to be done with 30 rounds of rifle and 3 handgun reloads. My thinking is most guys will run extra mag or two in a back pocket if they don't have a magazine holster.

Miami Vice villain? Can do! :s0112:

gangsta.jpg

This is too cool! My wife HATES Miami Vice (she lived there during the show run) and my son gave me the entire series on DVD for Christmas. I'm so there with my 5904, Colt SP1 triangle fore end and police 870.

I can feel it coming in the air tonight...

So is someone actually actively working on getting this together, or is it still in the "sounds like a great idea to me" realm? I'm very interested, and willing to offer what support I can to get things rolling. Would also probably be able to show up a day or two before the event to help with setup. Couple of things come to mind in the way of details.

First, how do we sign up, and what sort of fee would there be? At the very least, Cerberus Group should be able to recover any costs.

Second, what sort of lodging is available in the area, both hotel/motels and campgrounds? It's far enough for me that I'd probably tow my travel trailer down, assuming there's a campground, or even an available parking lot, somewhere reasonably close. Cheaper than a motel, more comfortable, and no bed bugs :eek:!

Last, for now, how do you come up with a theme? I have a couple of guns appropriate to the time frame, but not sure they'd go together. For example, I have a Ruger Mini 14 and a folding stock for it, so an obvious A-Team possibility, but my only age appropriate handgun is a Sig P220, and I don't remember the A-Team handguns at all. And no, I'm probably not going to buy a new gun just for this event o_O. Guess that's all for now, later.

Dave

Actually, Hannibal carried a Smith, stainless 639 I believe. Spoiler alert, I just looked it up :D. Air Wolf, huh? Great show, and what could have been a great actor, if Jan-Michael hadn't turned into such a prima donna punk. Got Uzi ;)?

First, how do we sign up, and what sort of fee would there be? At the very least, Cerberus Group should be able to recover any costs.

Second, what sort of lodging is available in the area, both hotel/motels and campgrounds? It's far enough for me that I'd probably tow my travel trailer down, assuming there's a campground, or even an available parking lot, somewhere reasonably close. Cheaper than a motel, more comfortable, and no bed bugs :eek:!

Dave

Once a date is set, I will add the event on my website and people can sign up there.

The fee will be no more than 10.00 per person.

There is local lodging in town, and camping on the range property. Local lodging information is on my website , at the bottom of each web page.

Actually, Hannibal carried a Smith, stainless 639 I believe. Spoiler alert, I just looked it up :D. Air Wolf, huh? Great show, and what could have been a great actor, if Jan-Michael hadn't turned into such a prima donna punk. Got Uzi ;)?

Shouldn't speak ill of the recently departed or so they say...
Jan-Michael Vincent obituary
It is my understanding he had a major inferiority complex and he always thought he was doing an awful job and that people were laughing at him. Probably why he was heavy into drugs and alcohol.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads