JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've only been rolling my own since Dec 2011. I'm nowhere near an expert that's for sure. Still learning. What issues did you have with HP38/231? Other than they were REAL scarce for 4-5 years.
With HP-38 I've had some inconsistent ignition (clear differences in report and recoil including a couple squibs) in cold weather and the accuracy seems to come apart a bit when it's below ~ 40°. I haven't been able to put my finger on the exact issue but it seems to be a developing pattern with mid range .38 loads (I'm suspecting lower pressure loads + cold temps). I need to mess with it this winter and see If I can iron it out with a primer change or something. So far it only happens in cold weather though. And only with .38 special, my mid-range .357 mag loads with HP-38 seem to work fine.

Yes I actually found some red dot the other day. I used to use it for trap. It's next on the workup list. I'm thinking it will perform similar to 700x. I really liked red dot for those 1oz trap loads.

Red Dot does have similar performance and weights in pistol loads, but all the "dots" are very dirty powders. Never cared too much in my shotgun loads until I found 700X, which is very clean and smooth performance. I have had the same problems loading 700X at 3.6gr as you.

Still have some 700X. But Red Dot really messes up my revolver and my Ruger SR9c. I bought a 4lb can of it when powders were so scarce, then afterwards bought a bunch of Titegroup, which meters well. Now I think I have enough powder to last thru the next century.

Last Edited:
Red Dot does have similar performance and weights in pistol loads, but all the "dots" are very dirty powders. Never cared too much in my shotgun loads until I found 700X, which is very clean and smooth performance. I have had the same problems loading 700X at 3.6gr as you.

Still have some 700X. But Red Dot really messes up my revolver and my Ruger SR9c. I bought a 4lb can of it when powders were so scarce, then afterwards bought a bunch of Titegroup, which meters well. Now I think I have enough powder to last thru the next century.
Yes the 700x is working so well and it's so cheap I'm actually considering just putting up with it. I'm going to acquire a colt detective special in the next couple weeks and if the 700x works as well in that snubby it's going to be hard to just let it go.

Some years ago they rejiggered the recipe for all the "dots" and Unique so they'll burn cleaner. I didn't even mind the older batches, even when doing 1000 shot "strings" because of the accuracy and cartridge fill ratio, which I consider a safety feature. And the warmer you load them, the cleaner it burns.. up to the point of being extremely clean.
And you can load everthang from .25acp to 30-06 etc. (published data) with especially Red Dot.

Pray tell, what wasn't scarce for 4-5 years? :eek:
So glad we seem to be on the other side of that availability curve right now.
I fear we only have another 3 years reprieve then it may be worse than ever. California even put the idea of an ammo registration in the mix... how long before that gets traction up here? Stock up while it's still on the shelf!

Some years ago they rejiggered the recipe for all the "dots" and Unique so they'll burn cleaner. I didn't even mind the older batches, even when doing 1000 shot "strings" because of the accuracy and cartridge fill ratio, which I consider a safety feature. And the warmer you load them, the cleaner it burns.. up to the point of being extremely clean.
And you can load everthang from .25acp to 30-06 etc. (published data) with especially Red Dot.
I like filling the case as close to the projectile as I can when the load maxes out. This little experiment has been a way for me to get my head around standard deviation and what it really means practically as much as about 700x and it's metering properties. My goal here is to get a SD of 0.1. While 0.1119 may seem really close to my goal of 0.1 if you look at the outliers in that string on both the high and low end it really isn't close enough to just roll with, especially if I was loading at a max charge for a true .38 special pistol not rated for +p or .357 mag. It's taught me something about getting too far from the average even if it's only a few charges. If I was just planning on dropping all of these in my N frame model 27 it would be perfectly safe fliers being the worst threat here. However, not sure I feel the same about shooting that string as is in an older .38 not at least +p rated. The devil's in the details no?

>75# and counting. Thousands of rounds in each caliber..... All I'm looking to need is primers right now....

Hmm. I've a quantity of Tula small pistol I've had since 2013. Still in original box, plastic wrapped, kept properly. Make you a good deal? ;)

I like filling the case as close to the projectile as I can when the load maxes out. This little experiment has been a way for me to get my head around standard deviation and what it really means practically as much as about 700x and it's metering properties. My goal here is to get a SD of 0.1. While 0.1119 may seem really close to my goal of 0.1 if you look at the outliers in that string on both the high and low end it really isn't close enough to just roll with, especially if I was loading at a max charge for a true .38 special pistol not rated for +p or .357 mag. It's taught me something about getting too far from the average even if it's only a few charges. If I was just planning on dropping all of these in my N frame model 27 it would be perfectly safe fliers being the worst threat here. However, not sure I feel the same about shooting that string as is in an older .38 not at least +p rated. The devil's in the details no?
True. And if your measure only throws x within an unacceptable range for a that gun, the remaining variable is pretty much the bullet.. ie lighter bullets are less likely to stretch your precious (giggity). Lee makes a sweet .358/105 SWC that no one should be without.

True. And if your measure only throws x within an unacceptable range for a that gun, the remaining variable is pretty much the bullet.. ie lighter bullets are less likely to stretch your precious (giggity). Lee makes a sweet .358/105 SWC that no one should be without.
Yes I'll probably pick up that 105 soon. I'm headimg to the range soon to try out those powder coated 125s and 158s I been working on.

Yes I'll probably pick up that 105 soon. I'm headimg to the range soon to try out those powder coated 125s and 158s I been working on.
It's a wonderful bullet. Stingy, accurate and makes full-size holes. Long time. If you want a "lighter" bullet on two counts (it's lighter and is generally seated longer than a/the 105), the Lee 102rn works for a heap a stuff too, of course.
But get the 105.

These 2 attached pics are an example of why I'm on the fence about giving up 700x. Second target is N-320 same other components. My Model 66 especially just loves it. This load has potential for longer ranges I think if I can track down the reason for that flyer.

20170813_213442.jpg 20170813_213508.jpg

Do you have all factory springs in that 66? I never change/lighten the springs in my revolvers, lest it's an actual PPC gun.. and then you'd generally use Federal primers in those, since they are the softest.

These 2 attached pics are an example of why I'm on the fence about giving up 700x. Second target is N-320 same other components. My Model 66 especially just loves it. This load has potential for longer ranges I think if I can track down the reason for that flyer.

View attachment 383666 View attachment 383667
If folks are willing to get a scale so expensive it has a lease option Pricing :: Prometheus Tool Corp for a small increase in accuracy... dealing with a pain in the a$$ powder seems sufferable.

if im making plinker rounds which the majority of my pistol loads are, i dont mind .2 or .3gr varience either way. 700x is perfect for that. especially because its cheap

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top