JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody know if 7.7x58 factory loaded ammo is available at a retailer in Salem/Portland/Eugene?

It's expensive, and I'd rather not pay for shipping. I don't reload, and don't plan to. I already very lucky the boss lady lets me spend as much time as I do shooting.

Does anybody know if 7.7x58 factory loaded ammo is available at a retailer in Salem/Portland/Eugene?

It's expensive, and I'd rather not pay for shipping. I don't reload, and don't plan to. I already very lucky the boss lady lets me spend as much time as I do shooting.
Keith's sporting goods might have some. I ran in to this problem when I bought my bubba'd type 99. I called around and Keith's was the only place that had the ammo in stock but that was a few years ago and the ammo was higher end stuff around $30 a box. I couldn't pay that so I bought brass and dies to reload.

Last Edited:
I-feel-you-pain-BUT.jpg

Actually, IMHO..
Now...would be a good time to expand your horizons. Rrrrright..... start by re-loading for those "exotic calibers." I've always found that buying "factory ammo" was prohibitive for me to get into a particular caliber. Unless surplus was cheap enough, I'd usually steer away. My ammo expense was always on my mind when making a purchase of a rifle.

The last time it was with 7.62 x 54r. Then only recently, I've added 8mm Mauser. Both of which..... I've added dies for. But haven't started actually reloading for.

LOL...I'm NOT much of an Arisaka fan. But I once dreamed about owning/shooting an Italian Carcano. OMG!?!?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I've always been a fan of the 8mm Mauser (which is of no help to you at this point) so when a bunch of milsurp became available a few years ago I stacked it deep. Doubtful there is much of the Jap round available in surplus.. Post ww2 some of the 7.7 rifles were converted to .30-06, not sure if that is a good idea or not. Your best bet is to reload or pay a reloader to make some up for you... Good luck, the Arisaka is a good rifle and quite a few deer have fallen to them...
That said, the Arisaka is a rarity nowadays, maybe it would be better to mothball it as a relic and get you a modern hunting rifle for practical use? Good luck either way...
IIRC the same .311 projectiles used for for the Lee-Enfield .303, the 7.62X54r Russian, and 7.62X39 Kalash will work in the Arisaka..

Last Edited:
I've always been a fan of the 8mm Mauser (which is of no help to you at this point) so when a bunch of milsurp became available a few years ago I stacked it deep. Doubtful there is much of the Jap round available in surplus.. Post ww2 some of the 7.7 rifles were converted to .30-06, not sure if that is a good idea or not. Your best bet is to reload or pay a reloader to make some up for you... Good luck, the Arisaka is a good rifle and quite a few deer have fallen to them...
That said, the Arisaka is a rarity nowadays, maybe it would be better to mothball it as a relic and get you a modern hunting rifle for practical use? Good luck either way...

I also have 3 Mausers and I was able to accumulate several cans of surplus, so I feel lucky about that. Same with 7.62x54r.

Maybe you're right and I will just oil it up and put the Arisaka in the back of the safe to be admired once a year, whenever I read a book or watch a movie about the Pacific Theater. I did order some snap caps for it so I can fool around in the garage. Kind of a bummer though. I guess on the positive the rifle was not expensive.

Your best bet is to have a buddy who reloads, especially if you just need an occasional box here and there. It's kind of like boats and machine guns. Both are very expensive hobbies, but if you have a friend who's into it, you get to enjoy it once in a while without all the expense and maintenance. :)

As to surplus, I have a few handfuls of WWII Arisaka rounds, in both 6.5 and 7.7. I shot a few of them way back when, but won't anymore. I found one that was cracked clear through the case head once, before firing, then I read somewhere that that's not terribly uncommon for that ammo. Not that I'm trying to talk you into reloading, since you've already said you can't at this time, but it is a fairly easy one to load for. I have a bunch loaded for mine.

There was another thread recently about an Arisaka 6.5mm. All this talk of Arisakas has me thinking I need to dig mine out and take them to the range for some exercise. I haven't shot either of them in a number of years.

Back in the 60s, as I was a budding gun bug, Dad remembered he'd sent home a Jap rifle to my uncle after they'd occupied Japan. With the help of one of his co-workers, we identified the cartridge (it was a lot more mysterious back then), and loaded some ammo for it. Norma brass was available, as I recall, .311 bullets weren't too readily available so we used .308 dia. bullets. Didnt shoot too bad surprisingly. Dad bought a Lyman 310 "tong" tool and we were off into the bottomless pit. Reloading is not hard and needn't be expensive. Lots of used presses etc. out there. Not to mention the fun of putting something needing an odd cartridge back in service.

HINT: reloading with a Lee loader in 7.7 Japanese caliber can be cheap and easy.....though I haven't seen one in many, many years and Lee says that they no longer stock it.

This video is with the 6.5 Japanese caliber.

Aloha, Mark

PS....Looking to do it cheaply with more versatility? Get some brass, primers, and bullets. Get.a cheap C press (or O press). Add some dies, lee powder scoops, lee case length/trimmer set up and you're set.

Last Edited:
HINT: reloading with a Lee loader in 7.7 Japanese caliber can be cheap and easy.....though I haven't seen one in many, many years and Lee says that they no longer stock it.

This video is with the 6.5 Japanese caliber.

Aloha, Mark

PS....Looking to do it cheap? Get some brass, primers, and bullets. Get.a cheap C press (or O press). Add some dies, lee powder scoops, lee case length/trimmer set up and you're in business.

Ahhh, something I missed when I decided to start loading my own! Sitting out by the wood pile, loading on a stump. With a HAMMER no less! :D With the sound of freeway traffic in the background even! Actually, I can see what draws people to that little set-up. I feel it. I can also see how it doesn't take too awful long for people wanting to get a single stage, at least.

Yeah.....
I guess it just depends.....
On how much money you're willing to spend and how many more calibers you think that you'll be expanding to.

I started with a single stage and loading .38 Special.

Aloha, Mark

When there was a shortage of 8mm Mauser brass, I had a good supply of LC 30-06 brass. I converted and annealed that plentiful supply with ease and great result. Saved me a good amount of money too. 7.7 Jap casing is very close to 8x57 as far as dimensions go, so the popular 30-06 would be perfect for reforming into the 7.7 flavor

I managed to obtain a 7.7 jap Lee Loader off Ebay years ago - cost quite a bit but the leisurely time spent at the wood pile reloading a box takes about 2 sodas (about my limit now-a-days). Inexpensive single stage with some 20 or 30 dollar used RCBS is better, but more money and well, just isn't the same as sitting at the woodpile. NOTE: my rifles feed ramp is way to rough to reliably feed soft points, so for the most part I just use Hornady 174gr fmj. BANZAI! (and have fun)

I managed to obtain a 7.7 jap Lee Loader off Ebay years ago - cost quite a bit but the leisurely time spent at the wood pile reloading a box takes about 2 sodas (about my limit now-a-days). Inexpensive single stage with some 20 or 30 dollar used RCBS is better, but more money and well, just isn't the same as sitting at the woodpile. NOTE: my rifles feed ramp is way to rough to reliably feed soft points, so for the most part I just use Hornady 174gr fmj. BANZAI! (and have fun)
Great idea for OP to feed his rifle. These kits are still available: Amazon.com : LEE PRECISION 7.7 Jap Pacesetter Dies : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Due to the cost of 7.7, and my inability to get into reloading, I did this in 2012... but have had some bizarre bulging in the spent shells, so I dont use it too much. Requires a lot of force to get it to cycle. IMGP0777.JPG IMGP0779.JPG IMGP0792.JPG IMGP0793.JPG

My brass expands greatly. I believe some of the chambers in these rifles are very loose.

You have one of those 7.7 X 58? At the 48 second mark in the vid he says "For some reason they swell up at the base". Some reason? Uh, the chambers are "screwy"? For lack of a better term.

You have one of those 7.7 X 58? At the 48 second mark in the vid he says "For some reason they swell up at the base". Some reason? Uh, the chambers are "screwy"? For lack of a better term.
Yes mine is chambered in 7.7x58. I plan to neck size only and inspect the brass very carefully before and after resizing. I have only loaded the brass from new so far. It's been years since I took the rifle out. I picked it up at Cabelas for $100. It has been bubba-ized to the max

Yes mine is chambered in 7.7x58. I plan to neck size only and inspect the brass very carefully before and after resizing. I have only loaded the brass from new so far. It's been years since I took the rifle out. I picked it up at Cabelas for $100. It has been bubba-ized to the max

That Arisaka is a fascinating gun. And the stories I've got from collectors at the OAC show and the presence, or not, of the um is fascinating. After reading threads like this I'm thinking it's not something I would buy at this point. I need MY collection to be safe and functional.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top