Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

7.62x54R hunting ammunition Portland area?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by DieselScout, Sep 22, 2012.

1. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I figures I would just purchase online but the shipping price is killing me. I am just putting this out to see if anyone has had any success finding hunting ammo in the Portland area?

2. michaeldw

michaeldw vancouver Member

I have seen some russian import hunting ammo at fisherman's in delta park

3. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Big 5 has winchester 180gr soft points brass cased non-corrosive stuff.

4. DieselScout

Thank you both for your replies.

5. DieselScout

Thank you! I stopped by today and once I found someone to help me with ammunition walked out with a box. I am doubly happy to find Winchester 180gr as that is what i will be sighting in my rifle with.

6. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Let us know how it shoots too! You're welcome.

7. DieselScout

Well it shot really well.....until my scope base moved!! I got home and fixed it, and I don't think I tightened down enough. When installing my scope setup, I was rushing and kept forgetting steps, so I had to tear it down 3-4 times. I think the last time I was working on it I didn't put the final tighten on the screws. I am headed out for some fun shooting tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. I got it dialed into about 3" high at 50 yards before the base moved. That puts me on center at 200 yards, which I am happy with.

8. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

How did the trip go? Is everything copasetic?

9. JDH

JDH Vancouver, WA New Member

Anyone know if there are Dies, Brass, Bullets here in the PDX area for the 7.62X54r I want to do locally on that as well for reloading. Sportsman doesn't have a thing and Big 5 is the only place I have seen the Ammo as well besides Gun Show.

10. DieselScout

I haven't seen the dies,brass or bullets for sale locally. However I have seen the ammunition at Gun Broker in Clackamas, Keith's in Gresham ( they had Winchester in 180gr FMJ) and Wild Bills in Molalla (S&B in 180 gr FMJ). Both have reloadable brass. I am going to have to order the reloading dies and .311 caliber bullets from an online source. I will be getting RCBS as they are set up to use. 311.caliber not .308

11. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I bought my dies at Fishermans Marine in Delta Park but that was some time ago. Give 'em a call 1st.

12. DieselScout

Sorry missed this. It shot pretty well off the hood of my buddy's trick and we were able to get a 3 inch pattern out of it which i was very happy with. My shooting wasn't the best, so I think it could do better.

13. JDH

JDH Vancouver, WA New Member

Thanks for letting me know. I head down there periodically. They have pretty good prices for on sale ammo.