JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I do know he was in the Marine Corps. That much I do know. That was how he met his wife don't really think his wife would lie about that. That and all his wedding photos had him and is buds in uniform. As for his MOS, that I could not tell you, never asked to look at his DD-214. So, I could only go by what he was telling me.

Yes, I agree. I was a little surprised he did not try to get to know the rifles before shooting. But then he was used to modern weapons, and those I did not take with me.

Sorry did not mean to change topics on the thread.... I like the 7.62X54R round myself, I think it will do a good enough job. Besides, what do you think the guys use in Siberia for hunting?

The 7.62x54r and .30-06 are pretty much the same. Sounds like your friend needs a kick in the pants. Or anybody else that tells you one caliber is the "only" caliber for elk.
I was talking to a friend at work about picking up a mosin nagant for big game hunting and I was tolled that the only choice for elk was 30-06, and
the 7.62x54 was too small.

is this just some kind of snobbery or should this noob just listen and pass on any other ammo.

I am not from the Northwest, but I MUST put such an outright false belief or lie to rest regarding 7.62x54R. First the .308 Winchester is the SAME ROUND as 7.62x51. 7.62x54R means the projectile is the same size diameter as the .308 round, the x54R is the case size with R meaning rimmed. Just like the .223 and 5.56 are the same, the 7.62x51 and .308 are the same. HOWEVER NEVER FIRE 5.56 FROM A RIFLE CHAMBERED IN .223, AND NEVER FIRE 7.62X51 FROM A RIFLE CHAMBERED IN .308. The reason is the case pressures are different. NATO ammo is loaded HOT. Regarding if you can kill an elk with 7.62x54R, YES. If you can kill an elk with .308, you can definately kill one with 7.62x54R, infact 7.62x54R IS STILL USED TO HUNT POLAR BEAR IN SIBERIA. (CAPs for emphasis not yelling). If Russians still use the Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R to hunt polar bear, you can bet it will hunt Elk without any problems. I am sure someone said the same thing I just said, but if not, I hope this puts away any concern for using 7.61x54R for Elk hunts. Happy Hunting

Well google says it can kill an Elk !
M44 Mosin Carbine

28E2D99F-A49A-4B7A-AE26-ABFFD1E78EE8.jpeg

I am not from the Northwest, but I MUST put such an outright false belief or lie to rest regarding 7.62x54R. First the .308 Winchester is the SAME ROUND as 7.62x51. 7.62x54R means the projectile is the same size diameter as the .308 round, the x54R is the case size with R meaning rimmed. Just like the .223 and 5.56 are the same, the 7.62x51 and .308 are the same. HOWEVER NEVER FIRE 5.56 FROM A RIFLE CHAMBERED IN .223, AND NEVER FIRE 7.62X51 FROM A RIFLE CHAMBERED IN .308. The reason is the case pressures are different. NATO ammo is loaded HOT. Regarding if you can kill an elk with 7.62x54R, YES. If you can kill an elk with .308, you can definately kill one with 7.62x54R, infact 7.62x54R IS STILL USED TO HUNT POLAR BEAR IN SIBERIA. (CAPs for emphasis not yelling). If Russians still use the Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R to hunt polar bear, you can bet it will hunt Elk without any problems. I am sure someone said the same thing I just said, but if not, I hope this puts away any concern for using 7.61x54R for Elk hunts. Happy Hunting
Too late. He got gored to death by an elk back in 2011.

just kidding

these conversations always make me laugh x caliber cant do this or kill that. Remember, people been taking big game with sticks with pointy rocks on the end of them for longer then gunpower was around.

Oh and...

necropost.jpg

these conversations always make me laugh x caliber cant do this or kill that. Remember, people been taking big game with sticks with pointy rocks on the end of them for longer then gunpower was around.

Oh and...

View attachment 438316

I may have already stated this here, but my grandfather has probably taken more elk with a .30-30 before this person asserting that 7.62x54 can't kill elk was born than that person has taken in his whole life. My bet is the idiot mistook the 7.62x54 for the 7.62x39.

7.62x54 will take any big game in north america shot placement is key
While Im sure there are some accurate Mosins, some of them won't hit the broadside of a barn from inside.. I had one of those myself... It looked like the crown was messed up. Guy I traded it to had a similar issue and traded it off to some poker player...
Now, my 91/30 Tula I would not hesitate to use on a elk, altho I'd rather be using a Mauser, strictly from a handling and intrinsic accuracy POV. The Mosin would take it down if you could hit it...

BTW- the conventional wisdom is that .223 can be fired (safely) in a 5.56 chamber, and the reverse is true for 7.62x51 NATO as its not as "hot" as .308 and can be (safely) fired in a .308 chamber.

May the dead threads continue to rise!! ;)

Last Edited:
While Im sure there are some accurate Mosins, some of them won't hit the broadside of a barn from inside.. I had one of those myself... It looked like the crown was messed up. Guy I traded it to had a similar issue and traded it off to some poker player...
Now, my 91/30 Tula I would not hesitate to use on a elk, altho I'd rather be using a Mauser, strictly from a handling and intrinsic accuracy POV. The Mosin would take it down if you could hit it...

I'm surprised with all the co about how inaccurate the Mosin Nagant is...My brother-in-law retired as a lifer from the USMC and pulled duty on Hill 57 in Vietnam. The NV snipers were taking out his fellow soldiers at 700-1000 yds with 91/30's. Granted, they were equipped with a scope and not shooting with just iron sites but even at that, the accuracy at that range can't be bulked at. I sporterized a 91/30 MN and mounted a $50 Barska scope on it for a local youngster as his first deer rifle because he couldn't afford the likes of a Winchester or Rem. He bagged many a deer over the course of the next 3 years (as I have for many years)and became quite proficient at shooting well placed shots between 50-250 yds. After several years and landing a full time job the youngster bought a Rem 700 in 270 and since he had become so good at placing kill shots with the sporterized MN 91/30, placing kill shots with the Rem 700 almost became boring for him. Personally, I feel a great deal satisfaction when I bag a deer with an old warhorse like the MN or K98 Mauser...especially when my hunting buddies go home without a single deer after taking several shots with their $1200 + rifles over the course of a 4 day hunting trip. My ex-father-in-law laughed at me when I showed up with my sporter Argentine 1891 Mauser years back...He wasn't laughing when I dragged a 10 pt buck into the back of my p/u truck and he and his $1000 Winchester 30-06 went home empty handed !! A little TLC and basic tweaking and a hunter who takes the time to practice at the range and the old MN 91/30 will bring home the table meat every time.

Seal... you're right, a 700+ yard hit with a MN isnt shabby.. And I grant you, the 7.62X54 round will do the job. Norma, Sellier & Bellot, or Privi ammo would toast an elk within the accuracy range of the rifle. And your tweaking, sporterising, and practice paid off.:s0015: A lot depends on the condition of the rifle and rifling, and some of the imports havent been that nice- while others appear arsenal rebuilt...
I'd be willing to bet that that those shooters were trained snipers using sniper-dedicated rifles. Like as not they were trained by soviet spetsnaz or similar professionals, esp if they were NVA. We know what havoc the Russians wreaked upon the Nemetsky with their scoped mosins. Ive seen a couple VN duffle-bagged capture MN, none of them scoped however. Still the MN was used down and dirty in places like Spain, southern Africa, Afghanistan, RVN, China, Ostfront, Bolshevik coup and civil war...
THAT SAID, a scoped sniper rifle isnt the same (as you point out) as a run of the mill Mosin, which is what i was referring to. My Mosin shoots well enuff, but it just isnt in the same league as my Mausers and would take almost any of my Mausers over a Nagant in a heartbeat for operability and accuracy.. I know, tell that to the Germans...:D And the deer and elk harvested every year... Ive considered mounting a mosin PU-type scope on mine but alas I have other fish to fry first, like scoping a particular Yugo Mauser that startles me every time I take her out...Truthfully tho Ive been around Mausers of one sort or another for 60 years now and own a few, you could say that I'm "invested in the platform". :s0034:
Interesting and enjoyable exchange of ideas...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads