JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who is clowning aroud about the .270? I am sure that many of your guys remember Jack O'Conner the "famed rifleman" and outdoor editor. What was his favorite round? He used the .270 to nail elk and mule deer. Yup! .270 bullets just bounce off of Elk. How stupid! 270's with bullet placement drop elk at any reasonable range. Oops! .270 works on bear too! Give me a break; ignorance of the 270 sounds like ignorance! Use a .270 and you will love it.

Oh just quit it! Go on back and read his comments,, he was having some fun,, nothing more,, nothing less. Get the net,, another one just bit.:s0112:

Who is clowning aroud about the .270? I am sure that many of your guys remember Jack O'Conner the "famed rifleman" and outdoor editor. What was his favorite round? He used the .270 to nail elk and mule deer. Yup! .270 bullets just bounce off of Elk. How stupid! 270's with bullet placement drop elk at any reasonable range. Oops! .270 works on bear too! Give me a break; ignorance of the 270 sounds like ignorance! Use a .270 and you will love it.
You had to be there. It was in the thread where someone asked if he could hunt elk with a .270.
Someone else claimed the hide was so thick on eastern OR RME, (because of the cold weather) that the .270 was less than adequate. He claimed he watched a .270 bullet "bounce off" the hind quarter of a bull, and that he recommended a .300WM or more.

Most of us were ROFL-ing so hard we had trouble finishing the thread in a civil manner.

It's all good fun now.
It went into the "most absurd statements of all time" category.

Well will only hunt Elk with a 20mm. nothing else stops them in their tracks like a 20mm Vulcan.

Here ---------- MAG-FED 20MM RIFLE - Anzio Ironworks

Ah.. taking a caliber meant to protect WARSHIPS (and are typically fired at high rates of speed) and using them as a 1-3 shot sniper rilfe... I love this country.

Anyone got a spare 12 grand?

(oh, and as a proud 54R user, it's my ammo of choice. Currently trying to expand my arsen--er, collection, of rifles and ammo.)

Indeed, there's different factors in a weapon's effectiveness, but there's 2 biggies:

Familiarity with the Weapon/caliber: how it acts, its tendencies, and typical travel.

Familiarity with the target: Sorry, just shooting something in the torso does not a kill make.

If the guy says "It can't kill an elk." I read that as "I tried to hunt elk with it but i just picked up the gun one weekend and I sucked, so the gun sucked. So the caliber sucks too."

give one guy a .22 and he'll kill soda cans and squirrels til the night comes. Give the same guy a 308, 30-06, or 7.62x54R, and that barn's broadside will have more holes from woodpeckers then from his attempt. Call it an odd thought, but some people are just 'born' to use cirtain calibers.

"I can hit Achmed's eye with a 50BMG sniper rifle at 2000 yards, but can't hit steve's old junker car at 100 yards with a 30/30."

Nothing less than a .50 caliber is an acceptable,dependable elk killing round.

If your shooting a muzzle loader :s0114:

You have opened up a can of worms that hardly any 2 people will completely agree on. My school of thought has always been to error on the larger,faster calibers if your unsure or inexperienced.

There are always internet ninja sniper master hunters that will say they can kill cape buffalo with a 22 lr, but realistically, it is generally accepted that a 270 or larger caliber is acceptable for elk, which means a 7.62x54r fills the bill.

Again,if you are not an experienced shooter and hunter it is better to go bigger and faster. YOU CAN'T OVER KILL AN ELK, BUT LOTS OF ELK ARE WOUNDED AND LOST.

It's like the people that say the 7mmRM with a 160 grain bullet is waaayyyy better on elk than the .270,...

At .007 of an inch larger in diameter, less than 3/4 of a gram heavier, and moving roughly 100fps faster,...
Really?? That much better?
Puhhleeze.

Take your Mosin out and sight it in, and then go kill an elk. The proofs in the puddin'!

In the case of the x39, I would hesitate to use one from a humane standpoint. I'm not sure the caliber by itself is a good determination of what makes a good large animal hunting load. With average energy slightly less that of a 30/30 and horrible ballistics, shooting an elk with one should probably be avoided unless one is truly in a survival situation. Can it be done...sure. Should it?

Keith

Back in '94 (the last time I went elk hunting) above Timber, OR I took an elk with my Polytech side-folder AKM with one shot, it ran off for about 20 yds. and gave up the ghost right on the hoof. I was using JSP (forget the bullet weight), but it worked just fine. Hit it broadside just behind the right front leg, so placement obviously matters...

I remember getting a lot of "looks" from a couple "old timers" I came across when they saw my kit... had a 5-round mag in it (but kept a full 30-rounder hidden in my pocket in case of thugs) I'm going to take my .308 Galil out for deer and elk this year... it's been about 16 years since my last elk hunt, gotta start getting my skills back!

Although I doubled my money, I wish I had never sold that AKM! :s0058:

In Oregon, as in most states, it is illegal to hunt big game with full metal jacket bullets such as those often made available with military surplus guns. Use of proper expanding bullets is critically important. The 7.62x54R can be used to kill elk.

Indeed, there's different factors in a weapon's effectiveness, but there's 2 biggies:

Familiarity with the Weapon/caliber: how it acts, its tendencies, and typical travel.

Familiarity with the target: Sorry, just shooting something in the torso does not a kill make.

If the guy says "It can't kill an elk." I read that as "I tried to hunt elk with it but i just picked up the gun one weekend and I sucked, so the gun sucked. So the caliber sucks too."

give one guy a .22 and he'll kill soda cans and squirrels til the night comes. Give the same guy a 308, 30-06, or 7.62x54R, and that barn's broadside will have more holes from woodpeckers then from his attempt. Call it an odd thought, but some people are just 'born' to use cirtain calibers.

"I can hit Achmed's eye with a 50BMG sniper rifle at 2000 yards, but can't hit steve's old junker car at 100 yards with a 30/30."

Wow, can't agree with you more. Back when I was doing a lot of target shooting and getting familiar with my rifles, I had a friend of mine ask to come along to the range. His back ground was a Marine Sniper (or so he said) and thought his stuff did not stink. I took along my Yugo Mauser, a French bolt action 7.5, a Mosin Carbine and a couple of others. I started shooting and got good placements. Of course, I was familiar with my weapons. He shot them all, and I must say, he just frankly sucked. He blamed it on the rifles. I told him it was not the rifles fault he could not hit the broad side of the barn, considering I had just put rounds from them all in the black (and decent groupings for me and I am not the best or claim to be)at 100yrds. I out shot him, it made him mad, he never asked to go to the range again. I never really intended to out shoot him, just wanted him to shut up about him being able to shoot anything and everything well. At least I achieved that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top