JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
does anyone have experence with this round for hunting? Just seems to me that the 202gr. soft point make a good big game load, upto a griz. Sure would be good for elk under 150 yards, any thoughts..? I got a mosin-nagant with composite stock & scope that shoots real nice, thought I'd give it a try next season on deer:eek:

Go for it. If you have good accuracy on your gun, you can hunt deer/elk past 300yards. Not good fit for varmint or coyotes. Good luck in next season.

I carried my Mosin this year during deer season. I used Winchester 180gr soft points. Double Tap and Hornady make hunting rounds for them as well, however they use a .308 caliber bullet and the most Mosins uses a .311 caliber. .311 is what is found in surplus ammo and the Winchester I mentioned above. If you are a handloader you can source many bullets in. 311 calibers for hunting and load your own. It will make a great hunting round and as long as your good with the rifle I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

Sounds good guys! will post pictures when I get either deer or elk! Iwas real surprised on how well this rifle shoots. I've got under 200. into this, and I've paid ALOT more for some rifles that don't shoot as well! (could be shooter? no way......)(I'm laughing)

I've run surplus match in one of my Mosins... it was a very effective 1.5 MOA rifle @ 100 yds. Not bad for a 100 year old battle rifle.

If you look around there are a few choices for decent hunting rounds.
I have a couple boxes of Wolf branded soft nosed that hit a 6" plate (very hard) @ 300 yards.
I haven't used it for hunting... yet. One day...

I disagree. If you know the capabilities of your shooting with the rifle then there is no reason you couldn't use it on varmints.
A couple of years ago, I shot a coyote at 250 yards. When I moved closer to see my trophy only i could find was head and back legs.
I didn't mean you can not hunt varmints, it was just warning about the mess you can deal when using Soviet 7.62x54 JHP
(Sorry for miss spell)

I have used the bear 203gr on deer elk bear and cougar. I love my mosins

Any pics? I can only imagine the wound damage on big game from 7.62x54R.

Every time someone asks me what caliber my Mosin is I say that it's like a 30-06 Magnum. Then I show them my chipped front tooth from shooting it. I love my Mosin- except when I have to clean it!

Any pics? I can only imagine the wound damage on big game from 7.62x54R.

Every time someone asks me what caliber my Mosin is I say that it's like a 30-06 Magnum. Then I show them my chipped front tooth from shooting it. I love my Mosin- except when I have to clean it!

But its not anything like a 30-06 magnum. The .30-06 in metric is 7.63x63, it has way more case capacity and more potential for energy and speed then the 7.62x54R. Don't get me wrong the 54R is no slouch, just the comparison doesn't work.

I think felt recoil is so bad more because of the stock design, then the caliber. With the straight stock, lack of pistol grip, no checkering and the relatively low bore axis it's no wonder it feels like a monster. Also, if your using the sights you've got to mash your face right into the comb and take a portion of that recoil on the cheek. This causes major flinch. However, I put 31 rounds through my Mosin in one day and did end up with a nice bruise, but only from when I didn't have it in my shoulder. By the end of the day I just wanted to be done with it. I was almost happy to see my scope mount was lose and the scope had migrated! :s0112:

Mosin it is Russian copy of K98( So 7.62x54 have almost same ballistics as 7x57 Mauser). Same as handgun TT copy of Browning 1922.

This is the most fail in one post I've seen in a while, thanks!

From Wikipedia

The Mosin has a commonality with Mauser rifles in that it uses two front-locking lugs to lock up the action. However that function is implemented in very different ways from the Mauser. The bolt assembly is multi-piece instead of unitary. It uses interchangeable bolt-heads just like the Lee-Enfield. Unlike the Mauser which uses so called "controlled feed", the Nagant has a recessed head for the cartridge base, what modern terminology calls "push feed". However unlike modern push-feeds which use a "plunger" ejector, the Nagant has a slotted head similar to Mausers. Also, the extractors are spring-loaded - unlike the fixed Mausers.

The bolt lift arc on the M-N is 90 degrees like the Mauser versus 60 on the Lee-Enfield. The major unusual feature of the M-N is the location of its bolt handle. Rather than connected to the bolt in the rear it actually protrudes out of the ejection/loading port. Furthermore, the handle is attached to a protrusion on the bolt which serves a similar function Mauser's "third" or "safety" lug.

The rifling is right turning (clockwise looking down the rifle) 4-groove with a twist of 1:9.5" or 1:10".

Live and learn :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads