JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a bolt action chambered in 7.62x51/.308Win for bench shooting that has a lefty friendly stock option or aftermarket stock. Lefty friendly being a thumbhole, pistol grip, or like the stock pictured below (not sure what that's called):

700-TAC-84456-prod.ashx.jpg

I would rather not get a lefty action just for reselling purposes in the future, can't do a stock right-handed one because to cycle the weapon I have to move my thumb out of the way losing my grip on the weapon.

Remington 700 is the only rifle I can think of because it's the military's M24 so I know it has a bunch of stock options.

Remington is the best for aftermarket products, especially stocks. If you're looking into other options and have a little more to spend there's other rifles like the CZ 750, Sig Sauer SSG 3000, Sako TRG, Accuracy International AE or AW. All can be had in 308 win, the Sako TRG is my favorite.

In this pic is the CZ 750 stock and the Sako TRG
007-2.jpg

This pic shoes the rem 700 in an AICS (same stock as the Accuracy internation AE & AW)
012-1.jpg

The MSRP of the CZ 750 is right in my ballpark, right out of the box exactly what I was looking for! The AI stock on the Rem is nice too... from what I can find online they would both end up around the same price. I am willing to spend up to $3k including optics, so these are in my ballpark. Love the fact that both these rifles say you don't have to move the bolt very much to operate the bolt. Thank you so much for photos as well!

I am coming from a Ruger M77, I love the rifle but am getting tired of either cycling too quick and clipping my thumb or just having to move my left hand around to dodge the bolt.

A Remington in an AICS would be hard to beat as a long term project. Every part of these can be upgraded as money allows. Gun smiths are so familiar with the 700 platform and it's generally not difficult to get them to provide excellent accuracy. The TRG has a much shorter bolt throw compared with the Remington or CZ. The Accuracy International AE and AW have a shorter bolt throw like the TRG. Titsonritz's suggestion of custom builds is a very good idea as well. I'd look at these custom rifles for sale on Snipershide forums, custom builds can take a Looooooooong time.

How do you like that Night Force?
Remington is the best for aftermarket products, especially stocks. If you're looking into other options and have a little more to spend there's other rifles like the CZ 750, Sig Sauer SSG 3000, Sako TRG, Accuracy International AE or AW. All can be had in 308 win, the Sako TRG is my favorite.

In this pic is the CZ 750 stock and the Sako TRG
007-2.jpg

This pic shoes the rem 700 in an AICS (same stock as the Accuracy internation AE & AW)
012-1.jpg

I really like the Nightforce, it's an excellent scope. I've run it hard for years without any issues, it's very repeatable. I have the zero-stop (nice feature), and the NPR-1 reticle (one of the best IMO). If you get a NF make sure you get the new "high speed" turrets, they have 20 MOA per revolution (mine have only 10).

I actually prefer the Leupold Mk IV's... but you can't go wrong with NF.

I have been going back and forth about which scope to get! I'm thinking Mark 4 over Night Force.
I really like the Nightforce, it's an excellent scope. I've run it hard for years without any issues, it's very repeatable. I have the zero-stop (nice feature), and the NPR-1 reticle (one of the best IMO). If you get a NF make sure you get the new "high speed" turrets, they have 20 MOA per revolution (mine have only 10).

I actually prefer the Leupold Mk IV's... but you can't go wrong with NF.