JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's my girls.....

IMG_4536.jpg

How much trouble/expense goes into adding a muzzle brake?

For the .308, its not all that bad.
Dinzag has a PDF file that shows pretty much what it entails.

Now, when I did my Saiga 7.62x39 and put on the 24x1.5mm threaded sight.. that was a good 3 hour project (Drying paint and trips to ACE)
..I don't know if I'd do that one again, mainly because I ended up putting more $$ into my 7.62x39 Saiga than she was worth.. Next time I'd just buy an Arsenal Saiga.

But I digress, FSB and threading the barrel of a Saiga .308.. pretty easy, maybe 1-2 hours work depending on the right tools. No biggie.

http://img209.imageshack.us/i/crapforsale649.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a PTR-91.

I did a fair amount of research before buying it, and most of the stuff I read said that they were more accurate than a FAL, as/more reliable than any other .308 besides the FAL, cost less than anything besides a saiga or CETME, and has the cheapest mags.

What I didn't do is handle a bunch of .308s first, because this is really, really awkward for me, and I wish I would've bought an M1A instead. It also mangles brass, kicks hard, and won't feed some kinds of surplus ammo.

It shoots good though.

I have a PTR-91.

I did a fair amount of research before buying it, and most of the stuff I read said that they were more accurate than a FAL, as/more reliable than any other .308 besides the FAL, cost less than anything besides a saiga or CETME, and has the cheapest mags.

What I didn't do is handle a bunch of .308s first, because this is really, really awkward for me, and I wish I would've bought an M1A instead. It also mangles brass, kicks hard, and won't feed some kinds of surplus ammo.

It shoots good though.

I had a HK-91 THAT i SOLD years ago.....Recently I ended up trading for a PTR-91 thinking it would be nice to have one again. While they are great rifles, I remembered why I got rid of the HK :p just didnt fit me right and felt awkward, plus they are very picky on the surplus ammo. I sold it and picked up the SA Socom16 and LOVE IT!

IMG_4625.jpg

It shoots good though.

I have a ptr as well -- sorry the ergo's are not working for you. I tried my buddies fal before buying my ptr and to be honest, I did not find it to be a fit for me.

The problem of kicking hard is easily and cheaply fixed -- just ad a real HK butt stock which is dirt cheap (under $20); the HK buffer is far superior to that in the PTR stock. Mangled brass can be easily mitigated buy adding a port buffer -- ~$40. Some PTRs have ammo sensitivity, but I have one that is not; I've put hundreds of South African surplus though mine without issue. If yours is ammo sensitive, you can have this fix for $75 via an HK gunsmith on HKpro forums.

Cheers,
DJM

As far as semi-autos...

DPMS AP-4 cut to 13.7" with Noveske Pig Brake, DD Lite Rail,Geiselle trigger, UBR buttstock...

Same lower, Noveske 21" barrel, Vortex FH, JP VTAC handguard, Armalite BCG, IOR 3-18x42... oh and my AWC ThunderTrap.

How do you get a ubr to work for a 308? My LR308 buffer tube is crazy long...much longer than a standard AR buffer tube.

IMG00200-20100324-1719.jpg

NoveskeIOR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The UBR comes with it's own buffer tube. It works with carbine buffers, and I went to a Slash heavy buffer anyway. I love the UBR, it balances out the carbine really nicely. I had a SOPMOD on there before, and the gun felt nose heavy, when I put the UBR on it actually added weight, but the balance was so much better that it improved the handling.

I have a ptr-91 that a group of us purchased for a friend a few years back. When he went to college and needed money he sold it me. He is a former Marine Corp sniper and said it is one of the most accurate guns he has ever shot. i watched him place his first two shots from the rifle (iron sights) at around 140 yards and they were touching on paper. I have no idea how you learn to shoot like that... I have since put an 8-40x56 tasco scope with hk quick connect rings on it. I sighted it in at 200 yards and shot a 3 shot 3/4 inch group with hornady ammo. I have had one problem with it being ammo sensitive. Although i may have found the problem. when i broke it down to clean i could pinch the locking rollers on the bolt and they would stay pinched, i had to take a q-tip dipped in solvent and really get down in there to get it clean. I have not had a chance to test it out yet but i am pretty sure i just overlooked cleaning the rollers last time. I absolutely love the gun and will never sell it. I dont think it kicks hard, neither does my wife. She says the next gun we get is going to be another ptr for her. The stock does seem to be made for midgets. So my next upgrade will be an adjustable stock, but unfortunately the money for my stock went into the kids wii.

lol @ the baby bottle.

Quite a fine looking rifle. Did you build it yourself? Is it a pain to clean or is it relatively easy to break down and reassemble?

Yup I got the M1A Scout from a good member here :)He already did all the internal parts :) to Nation Match spring, guide rod ect.... what I did was to got e EBR sage stock and tactical mag release for it. I also got the larue scope holder :) As for cleaning it, I have a really good friend here in GP who does gun cleaning, I gave it to him clean it and oil after every trip to the range. But it can be simple cleaning in, all you have to do it take out the trigger group and flip the riffle upside down and clean it :)

FMP pre ban g-3

Had williams do a trigger job, got the HK heavy buffer.
scope and 3 way sling and a thread adapter to use it on my can.

love the inch FAL's to death but I am selling on of them....and the one I gave to my dad......he says I can have it back

5057P1010029.JPG

fals.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few of mine, my 1990 M1A, my ???? Imbel "Gear" PAC, and my HK91 before the mods and after with the paddle release and triple frame installed prior to blasting and refinishing, enjoy.

View attachment 196449
DSC00813.jpg
DSC00728.jpg
DSC00814.jpg

Anybody in the Salem area who wants to go shooting let me know, I'm always down to go as well,

James

Ishapore 2A SMLE in 7.62x51, Navy Arms carbine conversion.
pix238661984.jpg

Ishapore 2A SMLE Navy Arms faux jungle carbine
img_0959.jpg

FAL, Israeli heavy barrel kit
fal.jpg

Pair of Imbel FALs
DSCF6299a.jpg

DSA SA58, dura-coated. Since this pic, added an old Redfield 3-9x40 with the semi-rectangular lenses, 3 point sling and a DSA Para rear sight with the 2 aperture flip and adjustable windage.
xgmgrr.jpg

Son with .308 Garand conversion
UNE3043.jpg

1992 M1A, 30 round mag
blackie.jpg

Chinese M14S
DSCN2051.jpg

Gibbs Extreme II conversion of SMLE Ishapore 2A
gibbseqii.jpg

I know, I know, the SMLE's are not semi-auto, but they are pretty fast actions and have 12 round mags.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top