Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

7.62x39 Steel Core

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by M.Link, Apr 16, 2010.

1. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Where can I find some steel core ammo for my AK? I'm looking for about 300rds. How much does it go for?

2. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Ive seen Norinco Chinese steel core ammo floating around at gunshows. From what I've heard, it isn't imported anymore, so it is getting rare. Gunshows, or gunbroker.com might be your best bet.

3. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

Good luck findong any... and from what I've seen (at least afoumd here) is you'll be getting raped on it if andwh3n you do find it. I was casually talking to a newish aquaintance about a year ago !nd mentioned it... happened i got 4 550 roud spam cans for 110 shipped a piece he happened to have burried. In his backyard Evidently some people want 350 per can of it now. I'll sit on what i got. I'd pay 150 but no more

4. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

Personally I think it's overpriced. A lot of folks think it's armor piercing, because federal law says it is, but really it's not. It has a soft steel core, as compared to the hard steel core true AP has. I've been told that it's totally legal to own and shoot, but not to import or sell if you are a dealer.

It does sell high, though. It seems like .50 per round is about the cheapest you see it any more. I have some genuine 50's Russian steel core, and a tin or two of Chinese, but I rarely ever shoot that caliber. I would probably sell it some day, but realistically I couldn't sell it for much less than going price.

5. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I don't see the point. Most body armor won't stop large rifle rounds anyway without steel plates, and the mild steel core ammo won't penetrate that.

What's the mild steel core going to be used for?

6. Generator

Generator Bend Member

I got about 250 rounds with the last SKS I bought, I have about 200 left but would only let go of it at gunbroker prices. I agree with the non-AP fact posted above, but its fun to have stuff that is no longer available.

7. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

A friend and I were shooting a 5.45mm rifle a while back, and shot at a piece of steel (don't remember how thick, maybe 3/8"?). He shot it with some Wolf FMJ: big crater but didn't go through. He then shot it with Russian surplus steel core, and it did penetrate, so there does seem to be at least some practical increase. Practical for what though? I really don't have any fantasies about running through the woods doing the Red Dawn thing. An old fat guy wouldn't last 30 seconds against trained soldiers.
    Now WWII 30-06AP, that is some scary stuff.

A guy at a gun show once told me he has a bunch of steel core because it would penetrate automobiles better. I personally have no interest in shooting at cars. Well, actually I did see a show on Knob Creek on the Outdoor Channel; that looked like it would be fun to see in person. That sort of shooting really just isn't my thing, but I think I would like to go see the machine gun shoot they have in Albany, at least once.

8. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

I dont know if id want to be the one to test that THEORY from what ive seen out of it.