Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

7.62x39 Steel Core

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Jethro82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Jethro82

Jethro82 Tigard, Oregon Active Member

Just wondering what something like this might be worth if anything beyond wolf or tula prices.

Norinco 7.62x39 steel core. Pulled bullet and cut open. Appears to be the steel jacket with a very very thin layer of lead then the steel core. I am able to make marks in the steel with a file.

20160329_193028.jpg

2. HarryHaller

HarryHaller Kalama, WA Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

It's worth much less, I'll take all of it off your hands cheap...

Kidding. Definitely worth more than the price tag on it says. Prices fluctuate a lot, and it seems to depend on just finding the right buyer. I would say from 50 cents to a dollar a round. Completed listings on gunbroker seemed to be between .50-.75 cents a round.

So yeah. Definitely worth more than typical Russian stuff.

3. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

It's desirable because people think it armor piercing, and legally it is, though practically it is not.

My understanding is that the soft steel/iron core was used in M43 ammunition for economic reasons mostly. Personally I wouldn't pay more than "shooting ammo" price for it, but on the other hand some people certainly will. I have a couple tins of the stuff I should sell someday. I sure can't afford to shoot it, as much as some are willing to pay for it.

Martini_Up likes this.
  4. Jethro82

Jethro82 Tigard, Oregon Active Member

Yeah this is the fist time having any of this. The steel core is just about as long as the steel case

5. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A lot of ranges wont allow steel core bullets. :(
    Some of them don't even want lead (cast). :eek: :mad:

coyotecaller and Joe13 like this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Norinco ammo is also somewhat "collectible" as Chinese armament imports were banned ages ago..... very stupid.

Dyjital and orygun like this.
  7. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Wow, norinco ammo, that stuff has not aged well, buddy of mine found a case of it someone had stashed for Y2K, and brought it out to the desert, after a few misfires, a squib and some feeling that the stuff was way hotter than it should have been. We threw the rest of it out. This stuff shot ok back in the day, I don't think they used any stabilizers in the powder, and it's deteriorated badly over the years. I would not shoot this, if you want, keep it as a collectors item (this stuff was banned from import ~1995 IIRC), but it's junk, not actually AP, and dangerous to fire.

PS: It was banned from import because it was made by the chinese arms company, not because it was fun or dangerous at the time.

8. CLT65

CLT65 Yamhill County Active Member

You must have had some that was stored badly or something. I shot some norinco ammo a couple years ago and it shot like it was made yesterday.

Martini_Up likes this.
  9. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I found some repackaged, 80 rounds loose in vacuum bags for $24 in a Junction City shop. Regular FMJ is still cheaper by the case so I may pass on it.

10. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

The good ol' days!!

As said above, it's not practically AP. Only legally. True AP will have a black tip. There is a very small amount out there but it's collector value puts it in the 'too expensive to shoot"*

*unless the zombie hordes at the door

11. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Yea, I've shot 100 year old ammo that was kept at the back of a camel pen in turkey that shot better than this stuff. I think by far the worst ammo I ever fired was POF (paki) .303 brit. Every round that went off was a hang fire of about 2-3 seconds, which was only about every 4-5th round... absolute garbage.

12. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Anyone pulled the projectiles from Norinco ammo? Would it be worth it?
    I mean its just mild steel.
    If the charges sucked as stated causing possible squibs Id assume not shoot mine. I did buy it only for collector value. I have about 8-20 boxes of the mild steel core Norinco ammo.. It'd be nice to use some of the projectiles in a proper load.