JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have any direct experience with either of these uppers? I'm debating between an AK-47 or AK-74 and want to also try a related upper for the AR platform. Anyone who has experience with either or both I would appreciate feedback on accuracy, functionality etc.

Thanks in advance

Smith and Wesson 5.45 upper is the way to go in the AR platform. They have a Chrome lined bore and from what I read and seen the only one. Model 1 sales makes a 5.45 but its chromoly and Olympic arms makes one and its stainless steel.
If you are using what everyone wants to use in 5.45 which would be surplus ammo, you want the chrome lined barrel~!
Cause in washington I have had rust form on the bolt and muzzle break from the time I shot at the range to when I got home that evening. So its worth not having a pitted barrel and spend a few dollars and get the smith...

would the stainless steel barrel not rust got to keep in mind the gas port hole may not be chrome lined

a friend of has a ar upper made from a tantal barrel but he washes every metal part on it with hot soapy water no rust in the barrel so far some on the outside though around sight base end cap in the crevises probably just from water left after washing it . he took the gas tube out and found corrosion in the gas tube slot

he now blast with air after washing

i would see this as a issue with them in the ak platform as well as more crevisies for water to be left after a towel dry.

he said the 5.45 platform is fine for a cheap ammo plinker not really worth dumping a lot of money into as they will eventully show rust damage maybe not in the barrel since thats what most guys will keep clean so not for you safe queen guys or guys that have to have the perfect looking rifle . he views his upper as a disposable upper he'll blast with it until its all rusted out and can't hit anything with it then it goes barrel and bolt and any other rusty part will go in the garbage . after all its payed for itself over and over in money saved in ammo

if you have a large sink in your shop where you can wash them out thats good because showering with it your dumping all that left over oil and crude in your shower.

would be better to get it in ak platform as it is cheaper than buying a upper and you will never get match type groups out of 5.45

surplus 5.45 ammo is cheap and fun to shoot at least until it runs out if you don't mind cleaning as soon as you can.

Well an easier way to stop that is Hoppies 9 cause it stops the corrosion effect and wont cause further damage.....or windex is another way to stop the salts from starting rust.....havent had any problems since then ..
I have 3 rifles now in 5.45 A S&W 5.45 AR, Bulgarian sidefolder in 5.45, and a polish tantal ...and soon I'll have a Bulgarian RPK-74

Does anyone have any direct experience with either of these uppers? I'm debating between an AK-47 or AK-74 and want to also try a related upper for the AR platform. Anyone who has experience with either or both I would appreciate feedback on accuracy, functionality etc.

Thanks in advance

AK74 ammo is 1/3rd the cost of AK47 ammo that is why it is my favorite rifle.

so if you use this it wont be necessary to wash it with hot soapy water?

Well yea, cause that will dissolve the salts from the berdan primer and inhibt the corrosion factor. I just see if you can keep a gun out of water then you wont get water in areas you may not get to and then cause rust where you dont see it.....I am rambling....

I run an Olympic Stainless 16" Carbine 5.45x39 upper with C-Products Stainless Mags.

Mine Runs GREAT.

Make sure you change your hammer spring to the included stronger one, to help with hard military primers, and you should be GTG.

I've put 1080 rounds through my upper in one day, and didn't have any rust form in the 5 hours after shooting until I was able to clean it.

Windex the barrel, bolt and essentially the whole gun that may have come in contact with the corrosive salts - IE - in the lower trigger housing - Let it sit for a few mins, dry it off and give everything a thin coating of CLP or RemOil.

Trust what Trlsmn and JC are saying. They know what they're talking about!

I'm betting the reason JC ran a tin through his upper is because he only brought one tin! Also, it was probably on full auto most of the time and went pretty fast... :s0155:

I have a 7.62x39 upper that is incomplete due to my indecision when it comes to picking a bolt. I'm going to end up buying one from AR15 Performance but the recent Oly 5.45 upper has me thinking about selling my 7.62 barrel and 10 round mags, though I do like the stopping power of the x39.

so if you use this it wont be necessary to wash it with hot soapy water?

At the range I have a thermos full of hot soapy water that I use for three passes with a bore brush. Then I blow the moisture out and spray some penetrant spray on the bolt face and down the bore

When I get home it gets the full sink cleaning and then hoppes down the bore

Take care of your gear and it will take care of you

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top