JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You mean the .300 Redoubt?

Also, if you just want heavy .311 dia bullets, these are common for the .303 brit (same bore dia)

I also missed the load data section, however that looks like a short-grained powder like 4895 or varget. What I would suggest is trying IMR3031, as it tends to be more elastic in it's performance (it has a wider performance curve than 4895 or varget).

I've done quite a bit of this type of work in the past, typically what I will do is calculate the gas port pressure with quick-load, and then on changing the bullet, try to find something that has the characteristics I want (same gas port pressure) with a heavier bullet/slower powder combo. This is usually successful in at least putting me in the same parking lot.

I should mention: when loading cast bullets, you need to bell the case mouth, otherwise they strip.

Good deal. That caliber is about a natural for a gas checked heavier than normal lead slug that'll operate a self loader.
I've done the same thing in 30-06 and .308 for years but not for semi auto.. from paper patched Lyman #2 alloy to heat treated linotype (heavy slugs from 1000-2600+ fps).. it's fun.
Also, like AM said, I can see in the video (cool video by the way) that you are not belling the case mouths enough so that they'll accept the slugs without shearing the sides of the bullet. A Lyman M die or Lee universal flaring die would certainly help.

What people can do with paper patching blows me away, I never thought someone could get a lead alloy going that fast without breaking up, so kudos to you! Yeah, I was made aware of a few fixes and last night I just did another round of 20 and I used a set of needle nosed pliers to bell the case opening and the rounds slid in like buttah.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top