JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a set of CLYMER - GO/NO-GO GAUGEs, and the go gauge doesn't quite close on a new Zastava rifle. Is this typical for newer AKs to not close on go gauges?

Are my gauges right for use with AK?

1) "Did you remember to remove the extractor on the bolt?"
I second that.

2) "No, that is not ok."
It would indicate a too-tight chamber. Suggest trying a new round of ammo with the extractor removed just to see if it works. Even if it does it may be to tight to close on the tiniest bit of debris in the chamber.

3) .30 NATO and .308 Win have different headspace dims. This is probably not the case with 7.62x39 since it wasn't introduced as a sporting round, but since it has been made in lotsa different countries there are some dimensional differences depending on who made the ammo and the gun.

Last Edited:

3) .30 NATO and .308 Win have different headspace dims. This is probably not the case with 7.62x39 since it wasn't introduced as a sporting round, but since it has been made in lotsa different countries there are some dimensional differences depending on who made the ammo and the gun.
Exactly, there are actually 3 different common gauge sets for 7.62 X 39: SAAMI for USA, CID for Europe, and some German standard that's a little more precise. I forget the name, four letters I think and not what some of are about to say. :D

Enfield is a rimmed cartridge.....so it's easier.

But yes.... I have also heard of the sloppy dimensions that Enfields have.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I bought a set of gauges for my Mosin-Nagant. They look like buttons and have a little cut out for the extractor. A lot easier/cheaper to manufacture versus our American style of gauges.

It's a Zastava in 7.62x39. Probably an AK.

To do headpsace you will want to strip the receiver, push the barrel pin out, push the barrel out, check headspace, if OK redrill the pin and repress the pin. You'll probably want to depopulate the barrel, weld the gas port, drill a new gas port and rotate the barrel to align that new port, reinstall barrel to proper headspace then you can drill a fresh notch for the barrel pin and repopulate everything.

I'd sent it back.

It seems to lock up on a live round without the carrier with gentle pressure, I think it's probably fine.

Perhaps I should try CIP gauges from pacific tool just for grins.

1) "Enfield is a rimmed cartridge.....so it's easier."
I should have been more specific. The Ishapore rifle in question was a 2a1, so it was in 7.62x51mm NATO and therefore rimless.

2) Remember the old adage "There is no problem that can't be solved with brute force and ignorance."
And its corollary "If it won't fit force it."
If you apply enough force you can probably make the bolt close on a go gauge. :eek:
Voila!! Problem solved!! :D *

*Disclaimer - Please don't take this seriously. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top