JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK I'm asking a three -fold question here:

First of all I understand one's purpose for the purchased ammo is paramount. I want the ammo for the purpose of storing for a SHTF scenario. Probably needs to be versatile - hunting/home defense/storage friendly. I'll be shooting it through a 1952 Russian SKS. Here are my questions:

1) The ammo itself - significance of grain plus any other helpful, qualitative factors a novice like me doesn't understand. Without breaking the bank, where does one draw the line in terms of general ammo features?

2) Ammo brand - Wolf, Bear, etc.? Again what's a reasonably good brand that minimizes misfires and other bad side effects for a descent price?

3) Where do you elect to buy the stuff? It seems that many web sites don't include shipping in their price quotes. This one is the best I have found without looking too hard: AMMOMAN.com. Search

I'd greatly appreciate you guys' feedback!

Thanks =)

mcpoo

I buy what's cheapest. Most SKS's will eat anything, mine will. There is not a lot of difference, ballistically, in different 7.62X39 cartridges, that is to say that they all shoot to the same point of aim in my weapon. Since long magazines are in the air just now I have one extended 30rnd magazine that I leave on the rifle permanently, feeding it with stripper clips (mine easily holds 37rnds which tickles the poo out of me). Oh yeah, I like to buy my ammo locally or at gun shows. I just don't like ciber paper trails on large ammo purchases. But I REALLY do trust the government!

I use Wolf most of the time. I'm not sure about an SKS, but AK pattern rifles love steel cased ammo, and Wolf has been reliable for me. No problems with Tulammo either, and you can pick that stuff up at Walmart.

I haven't tried other brands like Golden Tiger, Brown/Silver/Golden Bear, etc.

I buy whatever's cheapest for my SKS and it doesn't seem to mind. gun-deals.com has a feature where you put in your zip code and it'll factor in shipping and give you a per-round price. Check around for coupon deals for free shipping; sportsman's guide has them occasionally.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top