JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Check out this Hornady 7.62x39 product! Berdan primed polymer coated steel cases loaded with Hornady's 123gr SST bullets, Mfg p/n 8078. At around $1.50 a pop, my first impression was "what's the point?" But I could be wrong. Perhaps there are more people hunting with SKSs than I though there would. My oldest kid has gotten some impressive shots out of my Yugo SKS and can't wait for me to hand it down (don't hold your breath, kiddo :)).

<broken link removed>

I had been looking for this ammo for a few months at online stores, it showed an awsome 100 yard HITS value (535). I use a bolt action CZ 527M carbine length rifle in 7.62 x 39 for deer hunting. Better twist rate and iron sights vs others making bolt versions. I had been using Federal 123grn. soft point, which work fine, for $29 for a box of 20. I noticed that on the first of JAN the price went way up on Hornady's website from MSRP $34 to $45, so I went to a website that I had bookmarked that had a decent price. $32/box of 50 ($32 includes shipping,,,$26/box list price) and "pulled the trigger" on four boxes (entire store's stock). This website had them mislabel as the VMAX (Hornady's first 7.62x39 venture) ammo with a picture of the SST box, so emailed them awhile back to make sure it was the SST for when I got christmas cash. Then a couple days after I ordered the SST I was monkeying around on the Hornady website and found out they made a mistake on their HITS calculation, they used muzzle velocity instead of impact velocity when they listed the numbers for their 7.62x39 ammo. the ZMAX had the wrong HITS number too. So I'm a bit pissed that I just dropped $128 dollars and it's real 100 yard HITS value is 459 vice 535. I emailed them and they fixed the mistake and appologized. I wrote them back asking for a return on misadvertised ammo, they haven't responded yet, and honestly I was more hoping for some swag than my money back for catching their mistake. I'm sure it'll work just as well as the Federal has been for what I need it for. Of note, I just noticed they haven't fixed the mistake on the ballistic chart, just on the details page of the SST and ZMAX ammo.

as far as short review on the CZ 527M carbine 7.62x39, I got it a few years back for $525, it's great, my favorite rifle really, why carry a heavier scoped rifle with 3 times the recoil if ya don't have to?(read 300 WSM) "527M" has an upgraded firing pin spring over the earlier "527" rifles after complaint's about fail to fire. The cz-usa website is down or I'ld grab a link. As mentioned above, other manufacturers don't include iron sights, and CZ had a faster twist rate that seemed better for Corbon 150grn. soft point. Your son would love one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top