Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

7.62x25 Reloading Questions

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TiP, Oct 21, 2009.

1. TiP

TiP Beaverton New Member

So... My initial foray into reloading (besides hovering over my grandfather's shoulder as he used a Lee Shotgun press to reload 12 Gauge shells and his 30.06 Lee Loader) was to pick up the 3-Die set for 7.62x25 and the Factory Crimp Die (again, for 7.62x25) to reload some S&B brass for my CZ-52 and my TTC Tokarev.

I also have a .303 Lee Loader, from when my stepdad (now deceased) reloaded S&B brass for his Enfield.

My question, essentially, is this: Is there any way I can get away with NOT using a press? I'm EXTREMELY strapped for cash (read: living on handouts) and I can't even dream about scraping up the ~$50 for the Lee Hand Press... couldn't I just use light taps with a rubber mallet or something?

What are your thoughts?

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Well the hand press is like $30;

http://www.grafs.com/product/262265

....or you could get a fixed press for a few bucks cheaper;

http://www.grafs.com/product/261740

But lee does make a kit that uses a "mallet", but I don't believe the dies are set up the same. The problem is that on normal dies the brass is resized and deprimed at the same time, and if you tapped in the brass, there would be no way to get it back out in that configuration. You could pull the decap pin and decap it with a separate decap only die, but then again you would have to spend more money. Also the other processes would be extremely complex without the proper equipment.

Though lee does make a "hammer" kit that has everything needed to do it that way, it doesn't appear to be in that caliber.

I would think your best bet would be to befriend someone in your area that would let you use or borrow their press.

Although my best advice would be to not cheap out when dealing with reloading, since if you're missing crucial items such as a good scale, it can result in a destroyed gun. (but again the best thing to do if on a tight budget is to find a way to get access to good equipment through friends/community)

3. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Older presses that use std shell holders can be found sometimes at garage sales, very cheap.

4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

COMPONETS: primes @ something in the 3.5-->5 cent range; Bullets = fmj not lead in excess of 10 cents (THIS ROUND IS flying @ something over 1200 fps) plus powder / by the pound approx $20, makes it cheaper to buy ammo for this caliber than reloading.. I have seen ammo by the crate for a little over 11.4/cents per round currently.

5. TiP

TiP Beaverton New Member

Hmm, okay... Well, given all of these widely varying responses, I think the thing to do is for me to ask around and see if anyone I know has a press that I can come over and use (failing that, I might just ask around here -- so consider yourselves duly warned! :) ).

The whole idea I had was, since my Tokarev doesn't seem to like the hard primers on the surplus ammo that is widely available, is to use a bullet puller to extract the bullets and powder from some of the surplus rounds (while making sure to test the powder for freshness and reliability, texture, etc.), then reload them (with Winchester Small Pistol primers) into the S&B brass that I managed to find after shooting it. Strangely enough, my CZ-52 doesn't seem to have a problem at all with the hard primers, just the Tokarev.

Anyway, thank you all, for all of your help, and I'll do my best to keep you all posted.

Thanks again.

6. Randini

Randini Salem Member

You may want to ask member Ballistic, he said in a post that these have bad firing pins and can be replace may be your problem?

7. TiP

TiP Beaverton New Member

You sure he wasn't referring to the CZ-52 and not the Tokarev?

I know that the CZ is known for the weak cast steel firing pins that can easily break when the weapon is dry fired -- I've taken great care to NEVER dry fire the CZ.

But I didn't know that there was a known issue with the Tokarev firing pin, since I've only oned this one, and it sure seems to have a problem with the hard primers on the surplus 7.62x25 available locally. It might be Bulgarian or Polish, I'm not sure, but the Tokarev consistently takes two (sometimes three!) hammer strikes before the round goes off. Never had a problem with the S&B rounds, though, so to test the idea I put a Winchester Small Pistol primer into an S&B brass casing and testfired it in the Tokarev -- primer went off on the first hammer drop! So I think I've identified the problem here.

Anyway, I digress; I'll have to ask around for use of a press somewhere...

8. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

This is just a thought, but if you're living on handouts why are you worried about reloading?

When I was caught in a similar situation the last thing I was worried about was spending money on frivolous things and more focused on just the basic necessities.

9. Randini

Randini Salem Member

Could be I was looking for info on the CZ 52 and both were being talked about, may just have gotten the round 7.62x25 mixed with the two in my head.

10. TiP

TiP Beaverton New Member

Well, I suppose the honest answer is that in times of crisis, it's the simple pleasures in life that seem to keep us going.

11. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

replace the springs with new springs from wolf springs and the tok will fire the surplus however DO NOT use the yugo surplus in the tok it is strickley a cz52 round and can cause weapon failure in the weaker built tok.