JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mark I used to think the same thing but no longer. The two cartridges are ALMOST the same but they are different and made to different specs.

Wikipedia does an excellent job in listing the differences between the two cartridges and, in my opinion, is worth the read.

Basically the 7.62x53R with its .308 bullet should chamber and safely shoot through all rifles chambered for 7.62x54R but accuracy might be lacking.

The 7.62x54R with its .311 bullet MIGHT NOT do the same through a 7.62x53R rifle.

Lapua makes 7.62x53R ammo but it is spendy stuff. I would slug my bore before I made a final decision on shooting 7.62x54R through a Finnish rifle.

To confuse the issue even more the Finns made some types rifles that were designed to shoot 7.62x54R ammo as they anticipated being able to use captured russian stocks. The M-39 comes to mind.

7.62x53 is the Finnish designation for 7.62x54 it is the same ammo and is interchangeable

Unfortunately, no. My M28/76 chambers 7.62x53r, but nor x54r. Its the .308 vs. the .311 thing, as mentioned above.

Finding x53r is problematic at best. I purchase the Lapua mentioned above, at about $2.50 a pop for a complete cartridge. The brass cases make reloading a less costly alternative, if you are into that. You could also probably pull the bullets off of standard surplus ammunition and resize the case with properly sized bullets, but I've never done this.

What I buy: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=718056

What may also work (it says .308 bullet, so it should): <broken link removed>

Keith

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.