JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to build an AR pistol. Can't decide whether to go with a PSA blemish 10.5" upper or a CBC blemish 7.5" . They are about the same price, I've heard that 7.5 is louder but is it that much of a difference? Any other considerations?

I'd stick with 10.5, I've owned both. The 7.5 will be louder and the shorter barrel will neuter the round's performance quite a bit. Like half.

I'm looking to build an AR pistol. Can't decide whether to go with a PSA blemish 10.5" upper or a CBC blemish 7.5" . They are about the same price, I've heard that 7.5 is louder but is it that much of a difference? Any other considerations?
Love the MK18, but they require a lot of maintence because of the barrel length and high pressure issues...

I'd stick with 10½" on 5.56㎜. I have an SBR with said and it is real loud with out a can in place. Even with the silencer, it is pretty noisy.

Last Edited:
Rough numbers here:

7.5" barrel: around 1700 FPS
10.5" barrel: around 2300 FPS

Don't forget the increased wear and tear from a 7.5" barrel too.

Bottom line, my first pistol I built was a 7.5". It ran just fine. Spit huge fireballs and was quite compact. All that fun aside, the performance of the projectile along with reliability and wear/tear should be more important to most.

For what it's worth, when I built my SBR I went 10.5.

The whole 10.3"/10.5" number came around because it is the shortest length barrel that can still use a standard FSB and carbine gas system, but they can be finicky. I won't go any shorter than 11.5" in 5.56 due to loss of velocity (terminal performance) and dwell time (operational performance). With a 11.5" vs 10.5" you get 4% increase in length of weapon with a 40% increase in dwell time, which translates to a very small increase in size vs a major increase in reliability.

As mentioned, the 7.5 is more of novelty in 5.56. Go 11.5 if possible. I have a 10.5 and 11.5 set up different and bought several years apart. Out to 100 yards not much difference. I just know the 11.5 has more velocity.

The whole 10.3"/10.5" number came around because it is the shortest length barrel that can still use a standard FSB and carbine gas system, but they can be finicky. I won't go any shorter than 11.5" in 5.56 due to loss of velocity (terminal performance) and dwell time (operational performance). With a 11.5" vs 10.5" you get 4% increase in length of weapon with a 40% increase in dwell time, which translates to a very small increase in size vs a major increase in reliability.

When you start at 7.5" and end up at 11.5", the idea of a "pistol" has faded away to a "little bit shorter than normal" rifle. But your points are valid. When I built my SBR, I wanted as compact as possible with still decent ballistics. Hence the 10.5.

When you start at 7.5" and end up at 11.5", the idea of a "pistol" has faded away to a "little bit shorter than normal" rifle. But your points are valid. When I built my SBR, I wanted as compact as possible with still decent ballistics. Hence the 10.5.
I agree, but a 10.3/5 beats the heck out of the gun and that's why I chose the 11.5. Still rougher on the gun then longer options but I wanted something shorter that would work when and if I needed it.

Last Edited:
That's where .300 BO comes in.

A 12.5" is the happy spot for a 5.56 "pistol", IMO...

If you look at the terminal ballistics of a 7.5 inch .223 and compared that to a PCC the PCC makes a lot of sense.

Far FAR less muzzle flash and blast ... less recoil / perceived recoil, longer firearm life, etc.

A .223 is drastically neutered with a barrel of that length.

So why are we even talking about pistols then? 12.5 is almost pointless for any real reason to build one.

So why are we even talking about pistols then? 12.5 is almost pointless for any real reason to build one.
It is a pretty big difference over a 16", which most do to avoid the pinning thing. I built a GAU-5A 'ish pistol with a 12.5" and difference over a 16" is even more pronounced. I discovered a 12.5" barrel and a lower with a standard carbine buffer (I would normally use an A5 buffer) fully collapsed is a spot on equal match in overall component length. I'll probably add a 9" .300 BO for a more pistolesque alternative. I need to get some comparison pics together one of these days.

Clearly 4.75" is the answer. Has way more better good ballistics.

1632438444083.jpeg
7.5 556 > 22lr

Personally my shorties are all 11.5". Though I've built at least one 7.5". It was a fun little thing. Get the right blast forwarder and tune the buffer/spring right, they can be a decent weapon.

My personal choice is a 10.5 or 11.5 Do an SBR not pistol. And who cares about ballistics….. you're not building an SBR/pistol to reach out and touch something. It's for compact/CQB aka combat/self defense. If you can neutralize a threat inside a building or within a close distance, I think you will be ok. Good luck with whatever you choose though. Like others have said you may want to invest in a can, or quality ear protection. You can't buy more hearing and Lord knows they are louder the shorter you go.