JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remember that you can compete without being a member at most clubs including tri-county. It seems dumb to compete without practice, but it can be a good way to test drive a club.

I've been a member at TCGC for almost 2-yrs. now and like it just fine. The facilities are quite nice, but the range safety officers can be a tad annoying at times. So if you do join and partake, be sure to ALWAYS have a copy of the range rules as they can tend to "add" to the stated rules concerning what is "rapid fire" which is restricted at this facility.

BTW- the rules state MORE THAN two shots a second, which means double-taps with one second intervals are permitted the way I read it.

What do you want from a range? Tri-C has a LOT to offer. If you are into shotgun sports, long range, bullseye etc it's
hard to beat.

If you just want a place to shoot pistol and rifle out to 100 yds, consider Chehalem Valley Sportsman Club in Dundee.
Not a big range---pistol bays and 6 rifle benches---but only 350 members. Go on a weekday morning and probably
have the range to yourself.

TCGC is great - if you bother to get Action Range certified. Takes about three half-days. Orientation day + training + enter one match. I became a member and was certified to be on the Action Range within a month.

The Action Range is like going out to the woods, but steel targets and paper stands are waiting for you. Rapid, but CONTROLLED, fire is fine. (2-second rule does not apply). A lot less supervision by Range Officers also. Running, movement - shooting around barrels; you set the distance to the target; that sort of thing. Once certified you can take up to five guests, but when you are bringing guests only one person can be firing at any time. You must supervise them and make sure they follow safety rules.

If you shoot at a range that allows movement, steel targets, and a less formal firing-line it is hard to go back to standing in one place and firing at paper. I see firing a gun as being like boxing. It is just as important to move/duct/avoid a hit than it is to land a punch.

If I wasn't working 14 hours days, I'd be out there more. Maybe tomorrow.

Noisycow summed it up well. The Action Range is fantastic for handgun (or shotgun or rifle) training. But you must get certified by Tri County to do that (which I consider a good thing). I believe you can do that now with a single-day $40 class which occurs once a month. Probably for members only but I'm not certain of that.

On the flip side, if you don't have Action Range certification, you're stuck with the Pistol Range for handguns, which is a static 25 yard paper target, no drawing from a holster, rapid fire restrictions, more likely to encounter people who don't have high regard for firearms safety rules, etc., etc. Next to useless for defensive handgun training.

One other thing, you should be able to get a tour before you join. Call or email ahead of time. They'll probably tell you to come to the clubhouse to meet a Range Safety Officer.

Good luck.

You can take the certification class as a guest if you want to check it out first. I did just that yesterday. I enjoyed the heck out of it and the instructors were great. I have a long list of things to practice now. The action range alone is probably worth becoming a member. I think there was something like 14-15 bays.

-James

I like the range officers. Most are good guys who have given me helpful shooting tips more than once. I've been reminded about brain farts more than once too and It doesn't bother me too much because they are usually respectful about it unless you continue the bad behavior. Its because of the range officers that I feel safe bringing my son out to the range. Its nice to have them around reminded guys or teaching guys the rules.

My plug for TCGC is it's an incredible place to have access to for $10/month. For a beaverton guy it cant be beat. Its got it all including black powder range and a 24 hour indoor 22cal range for those nights when you just need to get away and blow off steam. The only thing its missing is something for a 50 cal guy.

One thing about the ipsc certification, they are usually out a couple months waiting list before you can actually get into the class. So if you want to use the action range, dont wait, get signed up right away.

Good choice, you'll enjoy it! Like everyone said (including myself) the facilities are just about as good as it gets... IMHO on par with or better than (cira '95-'93) Fts. Campbell, Lewis, Mead, McClellan, Leonard Wood, AP Hill, Benning, and Baumholder Germany as far as "amenities" go. I should clarifiy my comment on the RSO's... overall I have never had a "truly negative" experience with any of them, never any rudeness or condescending attitudes.

You must enter a match. Sign in, pay $15 I believe. I did the Police Practical Combat (PPC) event. It is low pressure. Your score doesn't matter. Shoot a man size target at 7 yards, then 15/21 yards standing, sitting, prone. The only one that gave me a little trouble is when you are standing at 21 yards around a barricade, six of the shots must be off-handed (left handed). You rinse/repeat 2-3x times as time allows. Most of the time is spent watching others.

It only took about 1 1/2 hours and the person supervising the event gives you your Action Range gold sticker and you are done. Make sure you don't sign up as a guest because if you do you won't get an Action Range sticker. Plus as a guest it is actually harder since they assign someone to breathe down your neck watching for any errors that could disqualify you. (breaking 180, finger on trigger when not ready to shoot, aiming above the berm).

The biggest mistake people were making was pointing their gun up when transitioning left/right around the obstacle (plywood target stand) vs just pulling their gun into their chest when moving and keeping their gun level to the targets.

It is easy. There was an 80-something older gentleman shooting as well as a couple young girls. At least a third of the people appeared to be there for their first event.

Just joined TCGC myself. I've been going to matches out there for about 5 years and decided to join so I can get more practice time.

Shoot some matches out there and see what you think. It's a nice facility and speed steel and PR are both low key and friendly.

H

You must enter a match. Sign in, pay $15 I believe. I did the Police Practical Combat (PPC) event. It is low pressure. Your score doesn't matter. Shoot a man size target at 7 yards, then 15/21 yards standing, sitting, prone. The only one that gave me a little trouble is when you are standing at 21 yards around a barricade, six of the shots must be off-handed (left handed). You rinse/repeat 2-3x times as time allows. Most of the time is spent watching others.

It only took about 1 1/2 hours and the person supervising the event gives you your Action Range gold sticker and you are done. Make sure you don't sign up as a guest because if you do you won't get an Action Range sticker. Plus as a guest it is actually harder since they assign someone to breathe down your neck watching for any errors that could disqualify you. (breaking 180, finger on trigger when not ready to shoot, aiming above the berm).

The biggest mistake people were making was pointing their gun up when transitioning left/right around the obstacle (plywood target stand) vs just pulling their gun into their chest when moving and keeping their gun level to the targets.

It is easy. There was an 80-something older gentleman shooting as well as a couple young girls. At least a third of the people appeared to be there for their first event.

Haha remember when they bumped me to beginer course and put you on advanced, the match director wasn't wanting to give me a sticker, I had an off duty Wasco sherrif vouch for me. I was sweating. Love the range, the action bay is my therapy lounge.

Yes and that was unfair because that should have been explained up front. Plus you have much more general gun and gun safety experience than I do. Was very happy to see you get your sticker because you are a safe and reliable shooter except for pistol grip shotguns with red dots :).

I was wondering what was up with the excessive praise.....Until the last line.......well played, jagoff. That was a setup, bird bird 3" mag. Na it was my bad.

I've got to get out and sight in my colt AR when I can find free time. Gotta work when it's flowing, the down time will be there soon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top