JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone I joined the forum to ask for help with my PC S&W 637. It's pretty new(less then 2 months maybe 250 rounds) and I noticed a crack or rub Mark on the frame today right above the barrel where the cylinder locks up. I wasn't sure if this was just the finish or if it is something I need to send back to S&W. I took some photos hopefully u guys can see what I'm talking about.

Any advise on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I use regular grade 38 special ammo.

IMG_20200228_190501659.jpg IMG_20200228_193423087.jpg IMG_20200228_190435984.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Answered my own question. It's a 38 +p chambered gun.

There really isn't much you can do to avoid all flame cutting especially if your running lighter faster bullets. It is a product of the cylinder gap. Some say that switching to a heavier bullet can help ease this.

Usually it just finds a threshold and just stops getting any deeper.

Is a 38special+p and I'm looking at my ammo right now. I'm kind of new to guns, here is photo of my ammo.

Is frame cutting normal? Will it stop? I just don't want my revolver to brake in my hand while I'm using it. It's my every day carry gun and I also like to use it at the range.

15829379463985273921606249517965.jpg

Well, alloy framed revolvers are made for everyday carry not lots of shooting. Maybe try contacting S&W directly to see what they feel is the life expectancy of one of their alloy J-frames shooting standard ammo.

Yes, all of my wheel guns have it including the "fragile" model 19 and it's perfectly fine.

It will eventually find a depth where it's happy and stop getting deeper. Here is a picture of my model 19-3 P&R so over 40 years old and thousands of rounds downrange

6E3B3F55-8863-4511-86D1-5AE7AF6F721B.jpeg

Honestly what I would look for in an alloy gun that's shot a lot as a failure point is head space issues. That would indicate your frame is stretching, or getting beat up from +p ammo. other than some other catastrophic failure you should be GTG.

Here is my Taurus 44mag in stainless. This one shows a very similar pattern to yours, I have absolute confidence in it.

Congratulations on your purchase! Buying and shooting guns can be quite addicting.

79AC628A-5C0A-43B5-99B7-16C44CCA653C.jpeg

Flame cutting is the realm of 125gr and under projectiles. Go with 147 WCs if you don't mind scraping lead, or 158 plated and quit damaging your topstrap.

Two opinion items: 1st If the gun is rated 38 + p I'd recommend standard 158 wadcutters for casual practice; maybe for carry 158 +p but standard velocity is what I would go with. 2nd The 637 is not a range gun; it is a lite casual carry gun and intended not for heavy range work. Added 3rd opinion: Would suggest not firing 125 grain or less for casual shooting. Just standard 38 special. I have 442 and shoot 38 special 158 standard and it smarts enough and 125 or less would be more wear and tear and more pain. If you want a range revolver gun then get steel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top