JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back at it again this weekend. My camping buddy couldn't make it so I'm enjoying an extra quiet camp. Only 1 car pulled up to the gate last night. They turned around when I fired up the truck with the remote. Otherwise, nice and peaceful.

I'm cleaning the Jersey Barriers we got from ODOT. Graffiti and moss. Ran out of gas for the pressure washer and used up 250 gallons of water so far. Had to trip in to Silverton for gas and water. I hope I can find some place to get 250 gallons!

It might be a wet weekend, but any camp is a good camp to me!

20211023_093415.jpg 20211022_191906.jpg

UPDATE 10-24-21

It was a very wet and windy weekend at my Home on the Range! So, what do you do when it's too wet to plow? You suck it up and plow anyway!

The primary goal for this weekend was to clean up the Jersey Barriers. The barriers are our firing line and the first thing you will see when driving in. I'd hate to see an ugly firing line! They will be put in place next week and this was the only chance to clean them. They could be cleaner but I ran out of solvent for the remaining paint spots.

Saturday afternoon, I used up 250 gallons of water and had to go hunt some down in Silverton. Thanks to the Silver Spur RV Park, I was able to fill up with another 200 gallons.

Our contractor, George of G.V. Excavation, will be finishing up the project next week.

Our final detail will be on next Saturday, Oct 30th, when we need some volunteers to help plant over 50 shrubs in that sidewall berm (pic below). We will also chat about why this improvement, why not more places like this and shout out some kudo's to those involved in making this happen. Hope you can make it next Saturday!

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5vwJjHmcKVAsFHPZ9

GPS: 44.928302886410776, -122.48931365743354

Bill

The forecast for Saturday, in the Scotts Mills area, looks great! So far clear skies, no rain, real light breeze and morning temps 45 to 52.

Still, bring a jacket. You'll also want some mud boots because we may not have all the gravel on the ground yet.

Thanks to the volunteers who came out today! We got the plants planted, the words spoken, kudo's shouted, and belly's filled.

We'll be posting as soon as the forest opens to the public!

10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 1.jpg 10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 2.jpg

10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 3.jpg 10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 4.jpg

10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 5.jpg 10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 6.jpg

10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 7.jpg 10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 8.jpg

10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 9.jpg 10-30-29 615 Pit Reveal 10.jpg

BIG THANKS to the NRA Foundation, Friends of the NRA, OR Dept of Forestry,
OR Dept of Fish & Wildlife, OR Dept of Transportation, and G.V. Excavation!

Lots more photos and video coming, as soon as @Cosimel sends them to me. I'm planning a video of the whole project that will show the before and after, along with the 'Why We Did It'.

This is a strategic move in promoting the idea of forest agencies to get involved in improving good places to shoot. They have an option... either do nothing, and let the chips fall where they may, or get involved and help improve and save the shooting sports.

This project highlights;
  • public safety, as our first priority,
  • low risk of fire potential,
  • ease of compliance with State & Federal shooting rules, and
  • enhances the shooting experience of all shooters.
The primary objective is to encourage shooters to use this area and stop shooting in the Crooked Finger area (the Crooked Finger area is primarily designated as Off Road Vehicle trails. There has been too many shooters shooting up the trails down there and causing lots of conflicts. But now, they have a better place to shoot!) So, help spread the word to NOT SHOOT IN CROOKED FINGER, BUT GO TO THE 615 PIT!

This was a $28,000 project. NRA Foundation Grant was for $10, 000, ODF contributed $7k +, ODF&W chipped in $8k, ODOT donated the jersey barrier firing line (6-12 ft barriers and ODF&W paid for delivery), and Trash No Land covered about $1800 from general funds and user donations.

Thanks to those who donated and volunteered their time to help make this happen! More pics and vids to come!

Bill

I wrote a blog today about the BC 615 project. It should explain all the reasons why we did it and who was involved. I also completed the NRA Foundation's Final Report for the Grant we received for this project (the deadline for project completion is tomorrow, Nov 1st!).

Further work will be done to finish graveling the floor of the pit and post an informational Kiosk next to the firing line.

Thanks to all involved! It was great to finally see this project completed!

Trash No Land Blog:

Agencies And Organizations Team To Solve Target Shooting Concerns

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews