JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I don't understand about remington as a company, they know they can't make a trigger. They recalled the old style triggers, then recalled the X mark Pro, why don't they out source the triggers in their factory rifles to Timney or Rifle Basics or something? Sure it would raise the cost of the rifles, but more people then not replace their model 700 triggers anyway and I'm sure would be willing to pay an extra $50-$100 per new rifle for one.

I spoke to a Remington Sales rep at NW Armory about this once last year and he told me that he thought it was a good idea. And that a lot of the Remington Custom Shop rifles use Timney or Jewel triggers anyway. Not sure if there's any truth to any of it. I stopped buying remingtons after I found Bergara. Although I do have a weird desire to get a 700 ADL in .223 and trick out a varmit rifle.

They are good rifles and the 700 has a huge following. Ive never had a problem with mine, consider the percentage of defective triggers is small in comparison to the many out there that work fine. I can tell you that for a stock trigger its the best stock trigger ive used, breaks right about 4lbs if I recall.

From the sounds of it, its a QC thing... I think they were wrong to ignore but thats the gamble they chose. Consider that most consumers dont even go target shooting and the rifle is maybe shot 1 or 2 times a year hunting. I had no idea at the time or I probably would have chose a more ethical company... But my rifle shoots fine and has never dischared on its own. I think that is the only reason they didnt go under over this.

I checked my serial number last night and the recall does not apply to me, thank God. Remington did send me a coupon code for 20% off their website (Remington.com/shop). The only thing I wanted was mag tube extension kit for my 870, but those are sold out. If somebody wants the code send me a PM.

This all comes about when you have a company , that no longer cares about the product they make ...But only the profit they make.

Note to all:
I freely admit that I have no real data or "proof" to back up my statement.
But , the older Remington Firearms that I have owned , own , handled or shot seem to be of a highly quality than some of the newer versions of the same gun.
Not to forget to mention that some of Remington's discontinued models were of great renown as well.

And no this isn't a "Andy just doesn't like plastic guns or new guns" rant .... It just seems to me that after Remington and other firearms companies were bought out by a large "Group / Management" outfit ... quality went to the wayside fast.
This is not to say that Remington never put out a lemon or a faulty gun before the buyout.... Just that it seems to happen more often now , than then.

Again no real data ... Just my experience in shooting and owning Remington firearms...Your experience may be totally different...
Andy

I've had a bunch of Remington 700s over the years. Velzey's right. Don't touch the adjustment screws unless you absolutely know what you're doing!

Otherwise the ones I've had have been great rifles. I don't know about the newer ones, because I haven't owned one, and I've never owned one with anything but a factory trigger. By newer I mean anything made within the last decade or more, so I'm not really up on it any more.

I had a gunsmith friend who did a lot of high end accurate rifles. He had a very strong bias towards Remingtons, despised Savage (called them Salvage). I've actually come to appreciate Savage rifles a little more myself. To each their own I guess.

I have 5 700's in my safe. One (7mm Mag) I bought in 1976 in Germany that I have hunted all over the world with, one M24 Sniper rifle that came from the Marines, a 700P that came with an XB40 trigger, a 700 medium barrel that was a sniper rifle for a police department a 700C sporting rifle. My 700P, The 2 sniper rifles have 1/4 pound triggers, my old rifle has a 1 1/2 lb and the 700C has a 2 1/2 lb. this is an old story that wouldn't be an issue if Remington wasn't so successful and didn't have deep pockets. I have never had an issue with any of my triggers, not that some people haven't but it is the money the lawyers are after. Anything can have a problem if you build enough of them. I don't trust the media in any event and no one else should either. In my prior life, I used to see a lot of events that were later on the news..._they were NEVER right about what they said. Like last night an article on the local news that talked about the "revolver" found in carry on luggage at the Boise airport....the photo was a medium frame automatic or even better the Chevrolet pickup side crash tests that had the fuel tanks exploding.....with a little help from a demolition technician. And that was sweet Leslie of CBS.

Thanks a lot. I have one that is on the recall list and am going to send it back to Remington. 40% off coupon. I have not had a problem and would have been happier in the dark. I knew about the old recall and have put my rifle through the torture test with no problems. Any rifle or pistol can inadvertently fire if there is a round in the chamber and I treat them that way.

Oh, to top things off, mine is a semi limited model - 700 VTR (Varmint-Target-Rifle) with the triangular barrel and integrated brake (don't know what I was thinking except "cool"). There are not many accessories on their website that I would even want. A new stock would be nice, but all they sell is the cheap synthetic for the VTR.

From the few I've seen returned lately, Remington paid for shipping both ways. And included a few 50% off coupons.
Turn around time was about 2 weeks.

It might be a good deal then, although I hate shipping entire firearms is a hassle even if free. The Timney trigger is probably better quality than the replacement although I'm unclear if Remington is replacing their suspect triggers for free.

Remington has always been a stand up company to me. I bought a fancy little 1100 skeet gun new from them years ago. Paid for upgraded wood. It came with rather common straight grain furniture........I sent it back to them with a letter asking if they could help. They returned it with incredible matched burl forend and butstock wood that was much higher grade than I deserved. They have always had great customer service for me.

They are giving me a 6 - 8 week turnaround. The authorized service center is Allison & Carey Gun Works INC 17311 S.E. STARK, Portland. I am close enough to drive there. I am going to call them and see if I can keep my scope mounted if I bring it in. I really don't want to mess with my Leupold scope, mount and rings again. I got lucky the first time and everything went well using the Leupold special ring wrench. I wear prismatic lenses and lining up the reticle is not easy. The reticle appears to bend slightly at the edges unless my head is perfectly vertical which is not easy with a rifle stock.

Called Allison & Carey and they told me to bring it in with the scope on and they would do the repair. Although it is an hours drive, it should be quicker on the repair and save me from mounting the scope again. I also think that bypassing UPS will ensure that the gun arrives undamaged. Anyone have any dealings with Allison & Carey?

This all comes about when you have a company , that no longer cares about the product they make ...But only the profit they make.

Note to all:
I freely admit that I have no real data or "proof" to back up my statement.
But , the older Remington Firearms that I have owned , own , handled or shot seem to be of a highly quality than some of the newer versions of the same gun.
Not to forget to mention that some of Remington's discontinued models were of great renown as well.

And no this isn't a "Andy just doesn't like plastic guns or new guns" rant .... It just seems to me that after Remington and other firearms companies were bought out by a large "Group / Management" outfit ... quality went to the wayside fast.
This is not to say that Remington never put out a lemon or a faulty gun before the buyout.... Just that it seems to happen more often now , than then.

Again no real data ... Just my experience in shooting and owning Remington firearms...Your experience may be totally different...
Andy
Never needed much more out of a remi then the 03a3 had to offer, sad i sold it but i cant imagine it gets much higher quality then that:D

Basedgreaser,
If you get a chance to see and shoot the Remington 500 series of .22 rifles , you will see that even in a humble 22 rifle , quality from the 50's and 60's was amazing.
My 870 Wingmaster from the early 60's is just outstanding with its fit and finish.

As for hunting rifles a Remington model 30 , 721 , 722 and 725 are all worth checking out.
Some of the 721's and 722's came with fairly plain stocks and both had "fixed" floor plates , but both also had smooth bolts and shot excellent.
The Remington 788 are a underrated but excellent series of rifles , with plain user friendly features , but well thought out and are outstanding shooters.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top