JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back last February, I posted a notice that an upcoming episode of the popular TV news magazine 60 Minutes was going to include an investigative report on trigger safety issues with the Remington 700 rifle. However, a few days before it was scheduled to air, President Trump announced his Travel Ban Executive Order. CBS News immediately changed their plans for the 60 Minutes show that weekend. Instead of airing the originally planned content, they instead aired an episode devoted to covering the issue of Muslim immigration and travel to our country.

When the story did not air that Sunday, a few people here even accused me of having posted "fake news". Just today, however, I discovered that CBS did finally air the Remington 700 Trigger safety investigative report, just two weeks ago, back on the 13th.

If you go to the CBS website for 60 Minutes, you can view it there. I also copied the story to YouTube, to help get word out to more gun owners about this major safety issue that affects millions of rifles, and the recall that Remington has issued.

So you can watch just the 13 minute report about the Model 700 Trigger, here at this link below as well:

Anyone who owns a Model 700 Rifle should view this report about safety issues with its trigger.

This is BS. Just more fear mongering from the media against the firearms industry. The story has been ran and is tired.

How many "accidents" did they actually have?
What were the age of those weapons?
Was any work done to them?

Maybe they had some bad triggers, but how many compared to the sheer volume they put out?

How many of those accidents could have been prevented by following some common sense gun safety?

I had one of my three 700 actions fall under the recall. Never had any issues with the rifle but I bought a Timney 510 and never bothered with sending the rifle back to Remington.

This is anecdotal, but back when I worked in a large gun store we had three negligent discharges by customers in the years I worked there. Every one of them blamed the firearm and not themselves for being careless asshats.

E

I would say that of the gun goes off by just closing the bolt or bumping the stock then its Remingtons fault.

I would say that of the gun goes off by just closing the bolt or bumping the stock then its Remingtons fault.

I believe that the most common scenario has been for the rifle to discharge when the safety is taken off. And this has happened without anything touching the trigger.

Take a look at this video documenting the issue:

Last Edited:
I did get a very good deal one recently, don't know when it was made.. I guess I will find out tonight when I check the serial #.

Shipping firearms is a serious pain in the buns, I am not happy about this

I had one of my three 700 actions fall under the recall. Never had any issues with the rifle but I bought a Timney 510 and never bothered with sending the rifle back to Remington.

That would be another effective solution for the issue. Simply replace the factory trigger with a 3rd party trigger.

This is anecdotal, but back when I worked in a large gun store we had three negligent discharges by customers in the years I worked there. Every one of them blamed the firearm and not themselves for being careless asshats.

E

This is a red herring that you are bringing up here, that is totally irrelevant to this topic.

The issue is simply this: Should a rifle's safety actually work? Is it acceptable to own a rifle with a safety that can malfunction?

This is the crux of the matter.

I would say that if you shoot someone when the gun goes off its the shooters fault.

There are a great many firearms that have the potential to fire when you do not want them to. When I was a teenager I accidentally dropped the hammer on a Marlin 336 when I was lowering the hammer after chambering a round. Scared the crap out of me, but because I had the muzzle pointed away from everyone else when it went off, the only injury was some frayed nerves.

Yes Lance, a rifles safety should work, but in the same vein you should never trust it to work.

E

Last Edited:
Did you watch the video? There is currently a recall on the X-Mark Pro trigger. It covers all rifles made from 2009 through 2014. Did you buy a Model 700 in that timeframe?

Remington Recall

I have not watched the video because im at work.
I do have a 700 but got it long befor 2009, I cant even remember but at least 2000 or earlier. Thank you for sharing the details, I cant really look up gun stuff at work. Glad Im not part of the recall...

Have to admit if it was I would just replace the trigger with a Timmney than deal with shipping it to Remington.

This is BS. Just more fear mongering from the media against the firearms industry. The story has been ran and is tired.

No, if you watch the video, you will see that this has been an ongoing issue. This is definitely not a rehash of old complaints. In trying to fix the original Walker Trigger that was the original trigger on the Remington 700, Remington actually created a new trigger, the X-Mark Pro, that has had even more problems with spontaneous discharge.

Here is a video documenting the issue:

I have not watched the video because im at work.
I do have a 700 but got it long befor 2009, I cant even remember but at least 2000 or earlier. Thank you for sharing the details, I cant really look up gun stuff at work. Glad Im not part of the recall...

Have to admit if it was I would just replace the trigger with a Timmney than deal with shipping it to Remington.

Well, that would mean that you have the original Remington 700 Walker Trigger, which is named after the man that designed it: Mike Walker.

You need to realize that there have been many complaints, reports, and numerous lawsuits over the Walker Trigger too. The X - Mark Pro was made to address those issues.

So you may still want to consider installing a 3rd party trigger.

CNBC did a more extensive investigative report about the Remington 700 Trigger back in 2010. They actually contacted Mike Walker, and interviewed him. You can see this interview with Walker starting at the 23:20 mark in this hour long news report at this link below.

Walker claims that the problems primarily involved poor quality control in the manufacturing process. And that explains why so few rifles malfunction. He talks about how Remington discontinued some quality inspection processes after he left the company, in order to save money. He also said that the company rejected a newer, more safer design that he came up with, because the trigger assembly would have cost 5 1/2 cents more to manufacture.

Well, that would mean that you have the original Remington 700 Walker Trigger, which is named after the man that designed it: Mike Walker.

You need to realize that there have been many complaints, reports, and numerous lawsuits over the Walker Trigger too. The X - Mark Pro was made to address those issues.

So you may still want to consider installing a 3rd party trigger.

CNBC did a more extensive investigative report about the Remington 700 Trigger back in 2010. They actually contacted Mike Walker, and interviewed him. You can see this interview with Walker starting at the 23:20 mark in this hour long news report at this link below.

Walker claims that the problems primarily involved poor quality control in the manufacturing process. And that explains why so few rifles malfunction.

This is really cool to learn thanks for sharing.... I will watch the video when I get home.

Ive often thought about replacing the original trigger with a Timmeny, although Ive had no problems with mine and its not a bad trigger for a stock rifle but ive been working on improving my precision and accuracy with the rifle the past year. I still might order the Timmeny... But it wont be because I feel the stock trigger is defective.

Still today the only faulty triggers I have ever seen are ones that have had the "adjusting" screws turned. Oh look Fred there are tiny screws on my trigger, I can adjust this thing myself....
BOOM when the safety is flicked off, or better yet the firing pin drops as the bolt is closed. Sear engagement is a very serious thing to be messing with.

Overall basic firearm safety also comes to mind.

There is a whole documentary about it called Rem under fire it's a few years old I have watched it a few times its on all the time I can't remember what News media or Chanel

Still today the only faulty triggers I have ever seen are ones that have had the "adjusting" screws turned. Oh look Fred there are tiny screws on my trigger, I can adjust this thing myself....
BOOM when the safety is flicked off, or better yet the firing pin drops as the bolt is closed. Sear engagement is a very serious thing to be messing with.

Overall basic firearm safety also comes to mind.
Been there, done that myself, before I knew better. I will add that I've seen one that fired when the bolt dropped, that was gummed up with ancient WD40.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top