JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Popularity of a caliber has more than one attribute that makes it so. Performance for sure but just as big is the vehicle that shoots it. After a while of shooting a caliber in the same style of guns a man ask himself what does this caliber and gun have thats better than others? Sometimes its the great gun that keep the cartridge alive. However in the long run rifle shooters are said to be thrifty so price to shoot becomes the balance point. Imho

The Ackley chamber is shorter at the junction of the neck and shoulder. That's what is supposed to hold the cartridge in place for fireforming. It's a small area and the firing pin often shoves the case forward without igniting the primer. Some folks recommend a long seat on the fireform bullet, jamming it into the lands to keep the case from moving. Once it ignites, everything is good as far as fireforming goes. Still, it's frustrating enough at the range and definitely not something I'd want to try in a hunting situation.
Sounds like the builder made the chamber a little too long.
Factory ammo should headspace properly in a correctly cut Ackley chamber.
A case with a belt would not have that issue.
It might have a different issue, though.
Case stretching forward of the belt.

Depending on who you talk to, you'd swear whitetail deer would just shrug it off if you get them with .223. 🤷‍♂️
On one of my early deer hunting forays in Montana, I took a Remington 700 in .30-06. Local guy asked me why I brought a elk gun for deer hunting.

I have seen several examples of Montanan's using .222 and .223 for deer. No one seems to have a worry about it.

-E-

On one of my early deer hunting forays in Montana, I took a Remington 700 in .30-06. Local guy asked me why I brought a elk gun for deer hunting.

I have seen several examples of Montanan's using .222 and .223 for deer. No one seems to have a worry about it.

-E-
We have seen that too.

I know some guys on the other side of the Continental Divide who use a .223 rifle for deer hunting.

My husband uses a 30-30 Winchester for deer hunting most of the time. He has done some handgun hunting for deer too. Years ago for the handgun hunting.

My husband uses his 30-06 rifle for elk hunting and especially in DIFFERENT types of terrain.

Now, if some guy or gal ONLY had one rifle and it was in a 30-06 OR one shotgun in a 12 gauge that may be all that he has to use.

Disclaimer: I do not hunt but I have gone on a few hunts with my MT husband.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads