JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This was at the time the short mags were being ushered in.
And where are all those fatties now? I'll answer my own question, probably languishing in hunters' closets, rarely used and practically never for recreational shooting. And out of production in currently-made rifles.

Some years ago I actually considered buying a .325 Win Short Mag. In fact, I looked at a specific Model 70 Winchester on three different trips to Kesselring's but never took the final step to owning it. Now it's one of those flights of fancy that I'm glad I stepped back from. But maybe it's very valuable now as a collector's item? I don't want to know.

Does AARP still send out a %10 off print paper coupon for purchase of .270 ammo?
Well, probably not but there just may be a connection between Field and Stream and AARP. As a geezer myself, Field and Stream lost my interest a long time ago.

bronze points
Those have been out of production for quite some time now. But did you notice that the .30 Rem AR appears to have one? Appears only, as I believe what we are seeing is a gold colored polymer tip.

I sold a box of 500 RP .308 Bronze Points on Gunbroker a while back for ransom-sized money. They are still popular.

As to dead / dying rifle cartridges. They are only dead when the last guy quits using one. "Declining" may be a better choice of words. In my own world, .222 Rem is in that category. I've always liked the .222, more than the .223 as a matter of fact but for practical reasons all my current .22 centerfires are .223's. Yet when a while back I saw an export version of the Colt SP-1 in .222 Rem, it still made my heart race a little.

Last Edited:
This thread jogged my memory. I recall Winchester came out with their super short magnum cartridges several years ago. I had no interest in them as I had 223s, a 22-250, 243s and a 6Rem. I quit the gun magazine addiction years ago, so haven't kept up on some stuff. Did those cartridges take off?

Been a .375 shooter for 35 years now, never regretted going with that one, talk about versatile! It's perfect for Elk, Moose, Caribou, Reindeer, Big coastal Brown Bear and Grizzley! It's also quite good at smaller game, can be loaded down pretty light, and still do the job better then some! As far as ballistics go, I find it actually matches the .270 closer then the .30/06, and that makes for a 2 gun battery that would be capable of everything in North America and most things world wide!

This thread jogged my memory. I recall Winchester came out with their super short magnum cartridges several years ago. I had no interest in them as I had 223s, a 22-250, 243s and a 6Rem. I quit the gun magazine addiction years ago, so haven't kept up on some stuff. Did those cartridges take off?
The SSM family reminds me of the little plastic confetti poppers. unnamed-12.jpg Party_poppers.jpg

My practical side says we should consolidate rounds.
I try not to buy guns in too many calibers. The idea is great try different stuff, have some diversity.

But when ammo and parts are hard to find it just makes it more frustrating.

But I get the appeal. If I had more time, more money, and the availability was there I would try to have one of everything

Been a .375 shooter for 35 years now, never regretted going with that one, talk about versatile! It's perfect for Elk, Moose, Caribou, Reindeer, Big coastal Brown Bear and Grizzley! It's also quite good at smaller game, can be loaded down pretty light, and still do the job better then some! As far as ballistics go, I find it actually matches the .270 closer then the .30/06, and that makes for a 2 gun battery that would be capable of everything in North America and most things world wide!
I assume you are talking about the H&H rendition and you're right; it is truly an amazing cartridge. It can be load down to about a 30-30 powder puff for deer and other medium size game or up to an all-land animal capable slayer with legitimate long-range capability. Few rounds are in the same league, and none are equal.

I assume you are talking about the H&H rendition and you're right; it is truly an amazing cartridge. It can be load down to about a 30-30 powder puff for deer and other medium size game or up to an all-land animal capable slayer with legitimate long-range capability. Few rounds are in the same league, and none are equal.
Correct! I actually had mine Reamed to .375 Weatherby mag, makes for an even more versatile chambering. Basically takes the case taper out, and blows the shoulder into the Weatherby style, not a huge gain, but it really shows when pushing heavy bullets hard, or for bucking wind with the lighter and more aerodynamic bullets!
Nice thing about it is I can still use standard Holland&Holland factory ammo and brass and fire form to the new chamber, all with out loosing any accuracy! It's truly amazing!

Not a fan of belted magnums, believing it's better to headspace on the shoulder.
I'm not sure why the .264 Win Mag had a belt. The purpose of which is to provide a means of headspacing. Which might've been necessary on the early magnums, but the .264 has plenty of shoulder. Maybe it was put on because by that time, it was expected.

I'm not sure why the .264 Win Mag had a belt. The purpose of which is to provide a means of headspacing. Which might've been necessary on the early magnums, but the .264 has plenty of shoulder. Maybe it was put on because by that time, it was expected.
The parent H&H magnums had weak, almost non-existent shoulders and needed either a belt or a more defined shoulder. H&H chose belt.
Their progeny sported belts due to fashion (marketing) of the day, IMO.

I'm surprised they made all that many .307 Winchesters. My recollection, which admittedly could be wrong, was that it was practically stillborn. (I have read it lingers on in Spain where military cartridges, like .308 Win / 7.62㎜ NATO, are prohibido, but people still want cartridges in that class.)

Come to think of it, wasn't the .308 Marlin an attempt to resurrect the .307 concept (basically rimmed .308 Win)? I haven't heard much about that one of late.
We may need to standby, as Ruger may do something with it.
EDIT: Remington and Hornady still make the .308 Marlin Express, so there "could" be something in the works.

Last Edited:
Come to think of it, wasn't the .308 Marlin an attempt to resurrect the .307 concept (basically rimmed .308 Win)? I haven't heard much about that one of late.
That jogged my memory. There was still one brain cell holding onto some recollection of the 308 Marlin. Official name is 308 Marlin Express, based on the 307. What I did not recall was that Hornady and Marlin also made 338 Marlin Express , designed to duplicate 30-06. Meh, no wonder I had no memory of it.

Are there rumblings that Ruger will attempt to keep these cartridges alive? I have no clue if they are popular or not.
The .308 Marlin Express was developed in conjunction with Hornady to duplicate .308 Winchester, but in a lever action. It seems also that the .338 Marlin Express was meant to be a modern day .348 Winchester.

I use 2400 and I have never had a problem .. Loading a 375 H&H with cast bullets yields a cartridge with 30-06 ballistics which uses less powder . Having said that the bullet costs me very little to nothing to cast and there is not much in the way of cost save the little bit of powder and a primer.

I don not do the same with a lot of high velocity rifle cartridges , most of my cast rifle is 30-06 and up . Casting for 06 in my world gives me something with 357 mag plus a little velocity wise as I do not push my cast pills much past 2000 and most are in the 17 to 1800 FPS range .

When you are shooting slow speeds increasing bullet diameter and weight is how you make up for the lost velocities.
This in spades.
If ever their was a "magic cartridge", it's the .375 H&H,, can use it for jackrabbits to Bullwinkle, or bigger.
The one rifle you can take anywhere in the world for anything that moves.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top