JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Few weeks ago I shared a Field and Stream article about 6 dying pistol rounds that generated some fun discussion.

Now I read an article suggesting 6 rifle rounds that are dying. I make 2 contentions....
1) the 25-06 is not dying it will always have that cult following. Once you experience it you know why.... and you keep it. Theres too many of these rifles being handed down.
2) while Ive never heard of the .30 Remington AR round if what this article says is true I might agree it would be a great all around cartridge for the AR15 platform.

The rest of the cartridges listed I defer to you alls expertise...

1623302543464.png

LOVE the .264 Win Mag, sadly, there were never really any rifles other then Winchester offered in this potent caliber, and Winchester didn't market it correctly, plus, having to compete with the 7mm Rem. Mag hurt it even more! Still, it's one smokin hot 6.5 with lots of potential for those of us who still think the 6.5 is king!

The original .30 Rem. USED to be a semi auto rifle round for the then new Remington Model 8, and it died pretty quick, performance was Meh, and it never really caught on! This new .30 Rem might be something, but with the .300 B.O. I see no use for it!
The others, might have done better with better marketing and more rifles chambered in them, plus the ammo manufactures never really supported them, other then the .25/06!

Still, it's one smokin hot 6.5 with lots of potential for those of us who still think the 6.5 is king!
Seems like todays new cartridges are just reinventing the wheel, but I get that people want whats new and not old. While the new 6.5CM isnt really doing anything new I think its finally going to cement the 6.5 caliber into cult like status similar to what the 25-06 has done for the "quarter bore"....

Both the .264 WM and the .25-06 are western game cartridges. Each has always had a devoted following west of the Missouri.

Fyi....Richard Mann is the same guy who wrote the 6 Dead, Dying, Handgun Cartridges article. He missed the mark there as well.

-E-

For those who dont like to read...

The calibers in question are:

1. .264 Win Mag
I was never enthralled with this one.
It has its supporters.
Not a fan of belted magnums, believing it's better to headspace on the shoulder.
Would entertain 6.5 PRC before this one.
2. .25-06
I have one...Ruger M77 1982
It will shoot into the same hole with right load and "holder".
Doesn't have the "bullet support" of 6mm or 6.5mm
3. .284 Winchester
Makes me think of the popular 6.5x.284
4. .307 WInchester
No opinion on this one.
I think it was a lever gun cartridge.
5. .30 Remington AR
Interesting idea, late to the party is my knee-jerk thought.
I think the brass is wildcatted.
6. .35 Whelen
A gentleman's way of launching .35 cal pills at elk.
Custom gunmaking will keep it going.
338-06 is another that is similar.

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought the 6mm Rem would be on the list. Love mine
Since I was a kid I always wanted a 6mm Rem. Took me about 40 years. From looking at reloading manuals for decades it is strange that some of the new and wonder magnums have little or no ballistic superiority over cartridges that have been around 50 to 100 or more years. The 6mm Rem always seemed to fall into this category with me.

I read both of the "dying cartridges" articles from Field and Stream on my phone.

If it was in print, I'd use it for starting a fire cuz the slick paper won't work like Charmin.

Richard Mann isn't the best gunwriter I've ever read, but I expected a bit more from Field and Stream. Or not. I dropped my subscription a couple of years ago.

I read both of the "dying cartridges" articles from Field and Stream on my phone.

If it was in print, I'd use it for starting a fire cuz the slick paper won't work like Charmin.

Richard Mann isn't the best gunwriter I've ever read, but I expected a bit more from Field and Stream. Or not. I dropped my subscription a couple of years ago.
I'm pretty sure it was a writer (I forget who) for Field and Stream who bestowed the title of the greatest cartridge ever developed to the 6.5 CM.

Last year I was looking for a used left handed 25-06. I never did find one so settled for another obsolete cartridge the .270 Win.
Yup, we were being told by some writers 20 yrs ago that cartridges such as the 270 and 30-06 were headed for obsolescence. This was at the time the short mags were being ushered in. I remember it well because it caused me to allow all my subscriptions to lapse.

As much as I have had a long time love affair with the 30-06, I'm also a big fan of the 270 and have a sweet shooting ADL. And don't apologize for either.

I can agree and disagree with some of those choices I owned and loved a 264 when I lived in Nebraska , Hard to find a better Mule Deer and Antelope cartridge period end of story, it just doesn't have a place in my battery any more .

25-06 like all 25 caliber cartridges never truly impressed me , as someone else said the bullet choices alone make it a non starter for me . I briefly owned a Roberts and while it was a fine cartridge its neither the 6 mm or 7mm and it doesn't enjoy the high BC bullet choices of the 6.5 Tis neither fish not fowl.

The 284's problem was that it was ahead of it's time , so much so that it many still do not appreciate the fact you were able to get 30-06 power capacity in a 308 action length. The case has been the darling of F Class for years as a parent for the 6-284 and 6.5-284 which was a popular F Class chambering long before Norma decided to market it.

The 307 was again ahead of the curve and basically a 308 in the lever gun , those cool lever loution bullets didn't exist back then though

30 Remington AR I never quite saw the point but I got the idea , again it was a solution looking for a problem

35 Whelen is the poor man's answer to a 375 and a practical one as well . If energy is what you need it gives you a lot of it for Elk and most other things in North America and it does it without having to go up to a Magnum .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top