JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
unnamed-14.jpg

Thread drift!

Dang , them colonial phobias run deep.

.45-70

One hundred fifty years old

You are taking this way too seriously. And the 45-70 is one of the exceptions. ;)

To be fair by the late 1960's the 45/70 was not only on life support it was almost out the door and on it's way to the funeral home . Factually Marlin developed the 444 Marlin as an answer to the need for something that duplicated 45/70 ballistics in a lever gun because most ammunition makers at the time had all but stopped loading the round and no one other than Marlin was offering a production 45/70 and that was on a very limited basis. What ended up saving the 45/70 ended up being first the long range black powder silhouette shooters and then later the SASS gang . Make no mistake though like the Buffalo the 45/70 was nearly extinct. For what it is worth the 444 was very popular for about 25 or 30 years during the time when the 45/70 almost disappeared.

Yep they dragged out the old Colt SAA's to deal with the Amoks
I have read that the Moros were high on opium before they went into battle and it gave them enough pain suppression that they often could kill before being killed. I do love my Colt SAA guns and they are a great part of our history.

I have read that the Moros were high on opium before they went into battle and it gave them enough pain suppression that they often could kill before being killed. I do love my Colt SAA guns and they are a great part of our history.
They would use drugs and tie cordage around their arms and legs right before an attack to help restrict blood flow when they were shot so they could continue attacking .

To be fair by the late 1960's the 45/70 was not only on life support it was almost out the door and on it's way to the funeral home . Factually Marlin developed the 444 Marlin as an answer to the need for something that duplicated 45/70 ballistics in a lever gun because most ammunition makers at the time had all but stopped loading the round and no one other than Marlin was offering a production 45/70 and that was on a very limited basis. What ended up saving the 45/70 ended up being first the long range black powder silhouette shooters and then later the SASS gang . Make no mistake though like the Buffalo the 45/70 was nearly extinct. For what it is worth the 444 was very popular for about 25 or 30 years during the time when the 45/70 almost disappeared.
Stuff happens, things change. I think maybe the fact that at some point some ammo manufacturers started supplying more powerful .45-70 ammo helped too.

Bold move writing an article about pistol cartridges dying when any store that had the ammo and guns was sold out. I also enjoy the reason he says .40 died cuz the FBI bailed on it back in 2015, but then says 10mm is "climbing to stardom".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top