JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same, if you add a preference for what's on sale or otherwise affordable. Helps the wife afford more shoes.
I buy most shirts and pants at Costco on sale - rarely name brands. I buy shoes and boots from Keen and sometimes Amazon. I buy new clothes when the old ones get so many holes in them or are too stained that they are not decent to wear in public.

I've worn the same jeans (except for waist size), shirts and shoes for 40 years after leaving the military. I stopped being concerned about "fashion" a LONG time ago and only wore what was comfortable and durable.
There is a difference between what men want to wear and what our wives force us to wear.

Before the election I recall it was getting harder to find centerfire revolver ammo. The trend for years has been to semi autos so stores try to stock what sells and semi autos were the hot sellers and their ammo.

When the panic hit full empty the shelves the 38s and 357s were the hardest to find. You could see that comming if you reloaded because the choice of jacketed 38 and 357 was down to just a few bullet weights. I don't expect the factories to produce a lot of 357 magnum as the panic ends.

I'm actually a fan of .32 ACP. Very pleasant to shoot and was hugely popular in Europe for decades with military and police which has led to a large number of inexpendive surplus guns for the U.S. market.

I rolled the dice on a surplus Beretta 81 when they hit the U.S. market. It's one of the most accurate handguns I own and is now seeing more time as a CC piece.

View attachment 895268

-E-
Me too, the .32 ACP is just fun to play with besides actually being an accurate self defense pistol cartridge. I've a Lee SWC tumble lube bullet (TL314-90-SWC) that weighs about 92 grains lubed. It's a nice bullet and so far has fed very well in my .32's. I also use the Lee RN (311-93-1R) that weighs about 98 grains lubed and that works swell also. And that Beretta Model 81 is a darn fine little pistol, I carry mine in a Ted Blocker holster. I had two PPK/S's and sold them both, they seem to bite the hand that feeds them. Or at least my hand.

fullsizeoutput_7d.jpeg

Well this may be true but certain 'fashions' are not meant for everyone. Take 'Hip Hugger' jeans for example. When they made a reappearance in the 2000s there was a failure to understand they were designed for a 'certain' physique - and not for everyone.....
Some people really should not wear yoga pants or "skinny jeans" but a tent instead.

I recently read that the US Coast Guard went to Glock 19s as of December 2020, though I don't know what they are doing with the Sign 229 DAK weapons the guard adopted in 2006. Given how the Coast Guard historically had a hard time getting new equipment it might be a while before they leave inventory but I would hope they end up on the surplus market if the guard doesn't get to keep them

I recently read that the US Coast Guard went to Glock 19s as of December 2020, though I don't know what they are doing with the Sign 229 DAK weapons the guard adopted in 2006. Given how the Coast Guard historically had a hard time getting new equipment it might be a while before they leave inventory but I would hope they end up on the surplus market if the guard doesn't get to keep them
Yup and the 229 was in .40 - one of the few (only?) military services to use .40 - probably because they are under the DHS.

When I was in the USCG, we used 1911s with Pachmayr grips.

My dad and father in law both served in the USCG during the 1911 era. Dad represented the USCG at camp perry in I believe 1956. I could never outshoot dad though at one point I was locally competitive. When his arthritis kept him from racking the slide I gave him a 25-2 and a bunch of moon clips. He could ring an 8 inch steel plate 4-5 times out of 6 even with cataracts. I really miss him.

Disagree on the .40S&W but the rest sounds about right. Whats interesting is the 45GAP might be the shortest lived of them all. What other calibers do you think are dying out?

1: .32 ACP
2: .25 auto
3: .41 magnum
4: .32 H&R magnum
5: .40 S&W
6: .45GAP

View attachment 894385

I read the article and some other comments on another gun forum.

Interesting.

I never owned any of those firearm calibers.

My MT husband owned 2 of the above calibers in the past. I just asked him and I knew about 1 caliber of HIS but not the others. So I read him this list.

He owned a Beretta in a 25acp when he was young that is 'kind of like' (?) what he owns now in a Beretta 22lr semi automatic pistol. I never saw that 25acp gun.

He owned 2 sweet 41Magnum handguns. One was a beautiful S&W Model 57 revolver and another one was a beautiful, custom made P&R which was built on a Ruger frame s/a revolver. I did see both of these handguns but I never shot either one of them. I keep forgetting about the P&R one. LOL

Cate
PS: Late 90's time frame...

I almost bought a REALLY PRETTY Ruger s/a revolver in a 32 H&R caliber if my memory serves me right. It was a 32 something if my memory is correct now. THIS was in the late 90's and my dealer only had one in. I believe that he told me that it was discontinued (?!) or it was going to be discontinued in that caliber.

IT was BEAUTIFUL! NIB at my former gun store back east. I think that it was stainless steel or some other material (Nickel?) and IT had BEAUTIFUL white grips.

IT was NOT like my beautiful BLUED and wood grip (Rosewood.) other RUGER S/A REVOLVERS in RF and CF calibers. ADDED MORE here. Out west, I did have some other Ruger s/a revolvers with pretty black grips with the RUGER logo on them too.

I did not buy it because I was limiting myself to guns that SHARED AMMUNITION with my other handguns and I ONLY owned 3 RF rifles at the time SHY of only owning 2 CALIBERS that I had NO other gun that shared ammo with at all.

The 2 firearms that I owned, BACK EAST as a Newbie from the late 90's and on, that did NOT SHARE AMMO with my OTHER firearms from the late 90's and on were my GLOCK 19 and my RUGER BLACKHAWK in 45Long Colt.

ADDED MORE.

Last Edited:
.40 is not obsolete. There must several million .40 S&W pistols in circulation. Every major manufacturer is still producing guns in that caliber and ammo is in production as well. So, do these guys think we're all going to dump them at the next buyback because they say "Obsolete!"? I am convinced these articles are used as filler when gun writers have nothing useful to say. I cannot think of how many "Is 9 dead?" Is 45ACP dead?" Is 10MM dead? articles I've seen in G&A, Shooting Times and the rest over the years.
Lazy journalism:s0141:

Last Edited:
PS:

My MT husband is a '45' caliber lover man even though he has owned many, many guns in his lifetime in many OTHER calibers from a to z.

He had MANY 45acp pistols, many 45Long Colt s/a revolvers, a 454Casull - one for sure if not 2 (?), and they were classic standard guns and several were custom made and in more expensive brands. Including Freedom Arms, a few Colts, many Rugers, many S&Ws, P&R, etc.

He only owns 3 handguns now, on purpose, in 2 calibers.

Two EXACT duplicate semi automatic pistols in 45acp and a pocket pistol in 22lr. (Gym/exercise carry = the 22lr Beretta - classic gun.)

Cate

I figure that people should LOVE what they own and shoot.

And if they change their firearm calibers in handguns, rifles or shotguns (Gauge or bore.) due to any reason - age, disability, change of taste, want to try something different in guns, etc. - who cares what some other person thinks or likes?!

NOT me!

Old Lady Cate

My husband and I never knew any person who owned a 45 GAP pistol.

I do not know IF I have even seen one in person in a store.

I have seen a picture of them in our GLOCK brochures and online.

We do KNOW about Glock 45acp pistols. My husband loves his! Grin.

I never bought or owned a 45acp semi automatic pistol but I did own a sweet RUGER 45Long Colt s/a revolver.

I do LIKE the 45Long Colt cartridge among several other cartridges even if I don't own or shoot that cartridge any longer. SOME people told me that 45Long Colt was obsolete or ONLY for cowboy shooting when I bought mine back east - late 90's. (LOL) I liked shooting that cartridge out of a couple of rifles too.

Some people said that only OLD or middle aged people shot what I loved, liked, bought, owned, shot and carried in my NIB guns too. LOL Other than my Glock 19.

Most of my stuff was bought when I was middle aged too. Go figure!

Old Lady Cate

I thought that most police departments issued 40Caliber pistols.

I did know that some departments were going to 9mm - back and forth from the late 90's and on.

Before that time frame, many peace officers that I KNEW well and were close to - best friends, back east, used d/a revolvers for a LONG, long time.

A couple of my super close friends, peace officers, even had some 357Magnum and 38Special d/a revolvers like I had too.

Cate

The .45 LC is far from obsolete in the sense that a lot of people like it, own it, shoot it, and you can have the cylinder cut on many revolvers to also shoot .45 ACP.

You can load the .45LC hot, although if you want to do it really hot, you might want to use cut down .454 cases as they are much stronger but also would have a decreased case volume so you would want to work up to a hot load as smaller case volume would mean high pressures.

I have a 460V that will shoot .45LC, .454 and .460. I will send in the cylinder to have it cut for .45 ACP too. If I succeed in getting the .45 LC CA revolver for sale here, I will do the same with it and have a small field revolver in addition to the 460V

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top