JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The commentary about pistol and "tactical" rifle cartridges is so funny to me. Everyone talks like there is ONE choice and everything else bounces off.

Hunters, who actually kill stuff, are totally ok with having 10 viable 30 caliber cartridges or have two separate cartridges using the same brass with bullets that only differ .007 inches from each other.

I would very much like to have a nice little carbine in both .25 and .32 acp. I once had a rifle in .32 acp (I forget who made it and don't feel like going to look) that looked like an M16/AR15 and it was fun. However it had difficulties feeding lead bullets. It ate FMJ quite well, but at the time I was turned off and sold it. I wish I hadn't.

View attachment 1003866
Was that an armi-Jager maybe?

Last Edited:
Send them to me & I'll play taps when we bury them. I'm not telling anyone to do this & this is joking only but my 10mm Glocks will shoot 40 S&W just fine like 357-38 spl, 44mag-44 spec, etc but I've never done it it. Just a rumer from a friend of a friend.

Send them to me & I'll play taps when we bury them. I'm not telling anyone to do this & this is joking only but my 10mm Glocks will shoot 40 S&W just fine like 357-38 spl, 44mag-44 spec, etc but I've never done it it. Just a rumer from a friend of a friend.
As both 10mm and .40 S&W cartridges headspace on the case mouth you might have a hard time getting anything remotely reliable even if it fits. Those other cartridges headspace on the rim, entirely different concept.

As both 10mm and .40 S&W cartridges headspace on the case mouth you might have a hard time getting anything remotely reliable even if it fits. Those other cartridges headspace on the rim, entirely different concept.
I wouldn't have believed it either, until I saw a friend doing it. Function and accuracy were fine for him, in his Glock 20. It still didn't seem like a good idea to me, but I searched online and it seems that it's relatively common practice, in Glocks at least, something about the way the extractor holds the case. I still wouldn't want to recommend it, but if it works for you...

I wouldn't have believed it either, until I saw a friend doing it. Function and accuracy were fine for him, in his Glock 20. It still didn't seem like a good idea to me, but I searched online and it seems that it's relatively common practice, in Glocks at least, something about the way the extractor holds the case. I still wouldn't want to recommend it, but if it works for you...
I just had to know so tried shooting 40 in a 10 and it worked. The problem would be a problem if the 40 got in front of the extractor somehow allowing the 40 to headspace on the case mouth as it should. The round won't fire and the extractor won't pull the case out of the chamber. I verified this by dropping a 40 in the 10 chamber. Bottom line I wouldn't trust my life to this practice.

By the way, the Glock .40 is extremely versatile too, having the ability to fire 9mm ammo. :eek:

I was working up some loads a while back, firing some 9mm rounds through the chronograph. I pulled the trigger and the recoil was way too light, it didn't cycle, and the velocity was only 500fps. It was then that I realized that I was holding a Glock 22 instead of a Glock 19. oops... :oops:

IMG_1520[1].jpg

BTW, it's very bad practice to fire 9mm in a .40, and I recommend against it.

Disagree on the .40S&W but the rest sounds about right. Whats interesting is the 45GAP might be the shortest lived of them all. What other calibers do you think are dying out?

1: .32 ACP
2: .25 auto
3: .41 magnum
4: .32 H&R magnum
5: .40 S&W
6: .45GAP

View attachment 894385
Some of these they are just wrong about and others, while not as popular as 9mm, still have dedicated followers.

I don't see any of these going away completely in my life time (I'm 43 btw).

Question: other than 480 Ruger which is actually back in production, either stopped being produced or just disappear completely in the last 30 years that used to be popular at one time or another? I'm just curious if anyone know of any.

By the way, the Glock .40 is extremely versatile too, having the ability to fire 9mm ammo. :eek:

I was working up some loads a while back, firing some 9mm rounds through the chronograph. I pulled the trigger and the recoil was way too light, it didn't cycle, and the velocity was only 500fps. It was then that I realized that I was holding a Glock 22 instead of a Glock 19. oops... :oops:

View attachment 1017121

BTW, it's very bad practice to fire 9mm in a .40, and I recommend against it.
Neck that sucker up to a .50, shove a 500gr bullet in there and push that puppy to 17fps!

I just had to know so tried shooting 40 in a 10 and it worked. The problem would be a problem if the 40 got in front of the extractor somehow allowing the 40 to headspace on the case mouth as it should. The round won't fire and the extractor won't pull the case out of the chamber. I verified this by dropping a 40 in the 10 chamber. Bottom line I wouldn't trust my life to this practice.
Or, a person could just buy a .40 conversion barrel

.40 isn't going anywhere. Still a lot of handgun hunters use the .41 mag. The one i think is becoming obsolete may be the .380. What ever the .380 can do the 9 does much better and now days the 9mm can be had in the same sub compact size as a 380 not to mention 9mm ammo is less expensive more powerful and recoil is really not much more.

... THe 41 I actually always liked but I'm basically the only one. ...

not hardly

Im not really a revolver guy but Ive always liked the 41 over the 44 after shooting the 44, its recoil just never was practical for me. The 41 still has some impressive ballistics for what one would want a magnum revolver for.

I've only shot 41 magnum once but it left an impression. It was very pleasant to shoot and I shot it well. There was plenty of recoil but it wasn't painful. I remember the ballistics compared reasonably well with other guns that were more of a handful. If I were to get into big revolvers this would be the first caliber I'd look at.

.40 isn't going anywhere. Still a lot of handgun hunters use the .41 mag. The one i think is becoming obsolete may be the .380. What ever the .380 can do the 9 does much better and now days the 9mm can be had in the same sub compact size as a 380 not to mention 9mm ammo is less expensive more powerful and recoil is really not much more.
I can say that .380 isn't going to be obsolete any time soon. Think about how many sub-compacts are sold in that caliber.

I can say that .380 isn't going to be obsolete any time soon. Think about how many sub-compacts are sold in that caliber.
DItto this.

With regard to ANY cartridges going obsolete it seems the 'newer' the cartridge is the faster it seems to 'fade' into obsolescence but the very long term ones (.41 Mag, .25/.32 ACP and others) seem to hang on but look at all the 'new' cartridges say in the last 20 years how many have disappeared. I have read about so many over the years and then they just seem to be gone with little fanfair. Anyone remember the .307 Winchester? Heck the .45 GAP may have been the fastest in and out of all from what I remember.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top