JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at building an 6.8 ar-15 for hunting but was wondering if it would be ok for black bear I was thinking of building an ar-10 but i hate how heavy they are so I'm wanting to bulid an ar-15 based rifle that I woud be able take a black Bear with any ideas of thoughts or info would be nice. Also if you have a
6.8 tell me what you think of it
Thanks

Sorry, but I have no experience with the 6.8 SPC.
My only comment is that I regret that the popularity of the cartridge hasn't taken off. It seems like an ideal compromise between the range and stopping power of the .308 and the light weight of the .223. Has anyone heard any news about the military possibly transitioning from the .223 to the 6.6 SPC?

If ranges are kept to a reasonable distance then I would have no problems using a 6.8spc for black bear. I'd also recommend using a quality bullet that will penetrate with no issues, something like the Barnes 95gr TTSX, Hornady 120gr SST or 100/110gr Nosler Accubond.

"right gun" would be bolt action or would it include an ar-15? I looking at the stage 20inch hunter model

100% only way to own a 6.8spc would be in a AR15. Biggest thing for me is making sure it has the correct chamber and rifling to use the hottest 6.8 loads. I'm running a Noveske 16" Recon upper and have shot sub-moa out to 300 yards with it, even killed a coyote at 360 yards during hunting season. My load consists of once fired SSA brass, CCI #41 primer, Reloader 10X powder and a 100gr Nosler Accubond bullet at near max velocities for the combo.

>>>100% only way to own a 6.8spc would be in a AR15.

Doesn't Ruger have a Mini-14 chambered in 6.8 spc?

I believe they do, but why own a gun with the incorrect chamber/rifling and one that really hasn't proven to be accurate without extensive work?

Pretty much what I was replying to is bolt action vs AR15 in 6.8, for me there is absolutely no reason to own a bolt action 6.8.

If you can swing it the Noveske barrels are awesome, just really expensive. My upper sells for $1,300+ but I was able to pick it up used for $850, well worth the money to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top