Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

6.8spc

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by OR_VARMINT_HUNTER, Dec 10, 2011.

1. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Banks,OREGON Member

I'm looking at building an 6.8 ar-15 for hunting but was wondering if it would be ok for black bear I was thinking of building an ar-10 but i hate how heavy they are so I'm wanting to bulid an ar-15 based rifle that I woud be able take a black Bear with any ideas of thoughts or info would be nice. Also if you have a
    6.8 tell me what you think of it
    Thanks

2. Villager

Villager Eugene, OR Member

Sorry, but I have no experience with the 6.8 SPC.
    My only comment is that I regret that the popularity of the cartridge hasn't taken off. It seems like an ideal compromise between the range and stopping power of the .308 and the light weight of the .223. Has anyone heard any news about the military possibly transitioning from the .223 to the 6.6 SPC?

3. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

If ranges are kept to a reasonable distance then I would have no problems using a 6.8spc for black bear. I'd also recommend using a quality bullet that will penetrate with no issues, something like the Barnes 95gr TTSX, Hornady 120gr SST or 100/110gr Nosler Accubond.

4. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

What would u say is max distance?

5. stmcelroy

I'd have no problems with 300-350 yards, possibly a little more. There have been plenty of animals including cow elk killed past 400 yards with a 6.8, it just has to be the right gun and load.

6. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

"right gun" would be bolt action or would it include an ar-15? I looking at the stage 20inch hunter model

7. stmcelroy

100% only way to own a 6.8spc would be in a AR15. Biggest thing for me is making sure it has the correct chamber and rifling to use the hottest 6.8 loads. I'm running a Noveske 16" Recon upper and have shot sub-moa out to 300 yards with it, even killed a coyote at 360 yards during hunting season. My load consists of once fired SSA brass, CCI #41 primer, Reloader 10X powder and a 100gr Nosler Accubond bullet at near max velocities for the combo.

IMG_9011.jpg

8. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

Thanks for the info and nice rifle

9. Villager

Villager Eugene, OR Member

>>>100% only way to own a 6.8spc would be in a AR15.

Doesn't Ruger have a Mini-14 chambered in 6.8 spc?

10. stmcelroy

I believe they do, but why own a gun with the incorrect chamber/rifling and one that really hasn't proven to be accurate without extensive work?

Pretty much what I was replying to is bolt action vs AR15 in 6.8, for me there is absolutely no reason to own a bolt action 6.8.

11. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

And is 16" barrel really good with that round or should I step up to a 20"

12. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

+1

13. stmcelroy

16-18" works great you won't see much added benefit going to 20", IMHO.

You really need to spend some time on 6.8 Forum before making your choice, lots of good info over there.

14. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

Ok thanks for the heads up I only ask cuz I was looking at the stag set up and it's a 20" barrel was thinking dam u got good distance/accuracy with a 16"

15. stmcelroy

If you can swing it the Noveske barrels are awesome, just really expensive. My upper sells for $1,300+ but I was able to pick it up used for $850, well worth the money to me.