JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Swedish Mauser that I'd like to develop a 'heavy' bullet load for. Specifically, I'd like to load the 155 grain Lapua 'Mega' round nose bullet. This is on the heavier weight side and I can't find any data for bullets over 140 grains in my Nosler manual or online.

Does anyone have any load data for this bullet weight? I would like to use IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 powder.

Thanks!

My twist rate is 1-8". So it should stabilize the 155 Mega or 156 grain Oryx bullets. Anyone out there using those? I was thinking of starting with 39 grains of IMR 4350. Or possibly the same amount of IMR 4831.

For review purposes only. Use published data!

65X55_zps2a3c41b5.jpg

Wow, thanks! I don't have this software but it looks really useful. This data would indicate that this load appears to be within the safe use range. :D

It's extraordinarily capable - I caught Sierra off guard with a 9mm load that was a 'bit hot, +P+++' ;)

That said, only known, published data should be used.

Use at your own risk!

Hi Disintegratinglinks,

I too have a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, an 1898 version that has been sporterized. From my very limited experience there seems to be two loading tables for this caliber. The first set of tables is for the early military version like mine and similar. The books I have read state that the early rifles have weaker actions and therefore one should be very careful about the charges used in reloaded ammo.

If you have a rifle of new/recent manufacture, there is a second set of tables for these rifles because the action is strong enough to handle the higher pressures of hand loads available.

If in doubt about your action, I would seek out a competent gunsmith who should be able to determine if your rifle can handle the higher load pressures.

This may be the reason you have not had much luck finding reload data for the heavier round you wish to try.

Please be careful !

B.V.E.
Ref: Speer Reloading Manual #14, Pages 306 to 314 , Third Printing, 2009

Thanks for the advice, Baron. Mine is a 1923 date of the Mod. 96.

Originally, the 1896 Swedish Mauser's military ammo was a round nose bullet of 156 grains launched at 2,380 fps from a 29 inch barrel. I don't see why I can not fire a similar load so long as the powder burn rate, seating depth and whatnot are considered.

In the mid 20th century Sweden and Norway switched to a 140 grain bullet at somewhat higher velocity. From what I understand, that load is also safe to fire in any 1896 Swede. Even the early ones like yours.

I went to the range! My load was 39 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 155 grain Lapua Mega. It was fired from my 1896 Swede. Everything went fine. 25 rounds with no pressure signs, no sticky bolt movement. The load offered very little recoil, despite the steel buttplate. It was also quite accurate. Thanks all.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top