6.5x55 Swedish load data

Reactions
I have a Swedish Mauser that I'd like to develop a 'heavy' bullet load for. Specifically, I'd like to load the 155 grain Lapua 'Mega' round nose bullet. This is on the heavier weight side and I can't find any data for bullets over 140 grains in my Nosler manual or online.

Does anyone have any load data for this bullet weight? I would like to use IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 powder.

Thanks!

OP
disintegratinglinks
Reactions
My twist rate is 1-8". So it should stabilize the 155 Mega or 156 grain Oryx bullets. Anyone out there using those? I was thinking of starting with 39 grains of IMR 4350. Or possibly the same amount of IMR 4831.

Reactions
Hi Disintegratinglinks,

I too have a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, an 1898 version that has been sporterized. From my very limited experience there seems to be two loading tables for this caliber. The first set of tables is for the early military version like mine and similar. The books I have read state that the early rifles have weaker actions and therefore one should be very careful about the charges used in reloaded ammo.

If you have a rifle of new/recent manufacture, there is a second set of tables for these rifles because the action is strong enough to handle the higher pressures of hand loads available.

If in doubt about your action, I would seek out a competent gunsmith who should be able to determine if your rifle can handle the higher load pressures.

This may be the reason you have not had much luck finding reload data for the heavier round you wish to try.

Please be careful !

B.V.E.
Ref: Speer Reloading Manual #14, Pages 306 to 314 , Third Printing, 2009

OP
disintegratinglinks
Reactions
Thanks for the advice, Baron. Mine is a 1923 date of the Mod. 96.

Originally, the 1896 Swedish Mauser's military ammo was a round nose bullet of 156 grains launched at 2,380 fps from a 29 inch barrel. I don't see why I can not fire a similar load so long as the powder burn rate, seating depth and whatnot are considered.

In the mid 20th century Sweden and Norway switched to a 140 grain bullet at somewhat higher velocity. From what I understand, that load is also safe to fire in any 1896 Swede. Even the early ones like yours.

OP
disintegratinglinks
Reactions
I went to the range! My load was 39 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 155 grain Lapua Mega. It was fired from my 1896 Swede. Everything went fine. 25 rounds with no pressure signs, no sticky bolt movement. The load offered very little recoil, despite the steel buttplate. It was also quite accurate. Thanks all.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom