JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

6.5PRC vs 280AI

• 6.5PRC

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 280AI

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
May consider the potential outcome if 114 passes. Six months from now might yield you a considerable wait for your "permit". Just a thought.
This and a few other guns on my wish list.

But this is a good point in regards to hunting season. Who knows how long it would take for it if this law passes.

Vote no. Of course.

Im in a very unique situation with the idea of a new elk rifle in that Im truly one of those "one gun" hunters but my "one gun" is very undersized for elk so the idea of adding a dedicated elk rifle gives me the opportunity to fill a niche at the longer ranges I have had to pass up on elk rarely unable to stalk closer. That said, if my smith gets it done by this winter I will probably save my money but if its not ready by end of this coming winter Im probably going to add this 280AI rifle to my quiver. I think a few members in this forum know my story... and probably agree with my ideas here.
"One gun guy" with several guns, would be me. The only time I haven't carried an '06 in the last 20+ years was because it was at the gunsmith or I was checking one "off of the list" by hunting with my old 1894 Winchester. My 06 (see avatar) has been an Ackley Improved for a while now. I don't load the cartridges all that hot because I found a sweet spot where it's groups are tiny. It's faster than normal '06 velocities with a 180gr bullet. I don't hunt elk as much anymore, but I never feel like I'm undergunned. I've shot fairly long distance and I doubt I'd take a poke at an elk at 400 yards, but I know it would do the job.
All of the reasons listed that are good about the 30-06 are true. That's why I'd probably buy another one if I needed that "one gun".
Given the OP's two choices, I'd go with the 280AI.

I cant recall if I posted elsewhere what I decided... but when 114 passed and hastened the decision with a lot of input from this thread influencing my choice. Now a few months have passed and have had time to shoot and read about these two calibers I have no second thoughts on choosing the 280AI.

Its interesting to make such an important decision with influence from people Ive never met but virtually, but I can say that many here are not strangers....

I did not get the exact rifle I wanted due to 114, I wasnt going to wait on backorders as everything started spiraling down the drain..... But I found a basic all black Xbolt with all the non cosmetic features I wanted, and the thing has turned into a tack driver with my first true elk handload.

1681875832829.png

1681876163535.png

As an a-side, I think this thread has helped me work through a recent itch of mine to add a bigger-caliber, dedicated elk rifle to my stable. I was consdering a 300PRC, 28Nosler, 6.5-whatever-big-bubblegum-cased-magnum.

But, being that the longest shot I've ever taken at an elk was 288 yards, it walked 25 feet and dropped dead from my 30-06. It didn't beat me up, is super easy to carry in the woods and I know exactly where that bullet is going to go within 350 yards, why change it? Why spend the extra 2-grand-ish to get something that's not going to do anything different for me?

I'm not knocking those that like the big magnums, but it seems like they just don't fit into my personal needs.

Just a bloviating thought that has nothing to do with your thread. Carry on.
Truth!!!! But it is like golf clubs there is always something new that comes out to suck that cash from your hands lol

I cant recall if I posted elsewhere what I decided... but when 114 passed and hastened the decision with a lot of input from this thread influencing my choice. Now a few months have passed and have had time to shoot and read about these two calibers I have no second thoughts on choosing the 280AI.

Its interesting to make such an important decision with influence from people Ive never met but virtually, but I can say that many here are not strangers....

I did not get the exact rifle I wanted due to 114, I wasnt going to wait on backorders as everything started spiraling down the drain..... But I found a basic all black Xbolt with all the non cosmetic features I wanted, and the thing has turned into a tack driver with my first true elk handload.

View attachment 1407340

View attachment 1407344
Good choice of the two.
280AI is a most gentlemanly way to launch a 7mm pill.

Nice job mounting the scope, those rings look clean and don't crowd the ejection port.
What scope is that ?

I'm actually having one built right now in 280AI off of my 700 mountain rifle in .280 that I have hunted with since my dad gave me when I was 13. It has killed many deer and quite a few elk.

I'm going with a CF barrel from x-caliber that is 20" with a 1:9 twist and will be shooting 146gn Hammer bullets. (Or whatever the barrel ends up liking).

My dad and I collaborated on a custom 28 Nosler, and have a couple 7mm-08's. The 08 is great for deer, I would hesitate to shoot an elk at closer range with it either. 280AI seems to be perfectly in between the 08 and the 28 nosler. Can't wait the 4 months until the stock and barrel are done. The whiskey 6 scope should be here next week.

Fo sho!

I consider this vehicle to be an accessory for my current rifle though. It's going to get me to the places I want to get to use the rifle!
I bought a new rifle but my hunting rig is 26yrs old and I just spend $350 to keep it running, the mechanic tells me I need a new driveline this year that will cost me about $3K.... :(
Gotta have a reliable hunting rig...

Good choice of the two.
280AI is a most gentlemanly way to launch a 7mm pill.

Nice job mounting the scope, those rings look clean and don't crowd the ejection port.
What scope is that ?
Im really glad I went with the 280 over the 6.5. Either are great calibers but I like the 280AI has more options in heavier bullets yet I can almost go down as low as the 6.5 if I ever thought I needed to (no interest in anything under 130g).
The scope is a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 CDS with firedot. It cost more than the rifle. I usually do a 1pc base but these mounts are really solid and lighter. After I finish fine tuning my handload I will order my free CDS dial, no hurries as Im charting how many clicks at distance.

I'm actually having one built right now in 280AI off of my 700 mountain rifle in .280 that I have hunted with since my dad gave me when I was 13. It has killed many deer and quite a few elk.

I'm going with a CF barrel from x-caliber that is 20" with a 1:9 twist and will be shooting 146gn Hammer bullets. (Or whatever the barrel ends up liking).

My dad and I collaborated on a custom 28 Nosler, and have a couple 7mm-08's. The 08 is great for deer, I would hesitate to shoot an elk at closer range with it either. 280AI seems to be perfectly in between the 08 and the 28 nosler. Can't wait the 4 months until the stock and barrel are done. The whiskey 6 scope should be here next week.
Good choice on bullets, my handload for this is using the 140g Absolute Hammer. Im new to Hammers and learning how to safely work up the additional velocity they are famous for.

The new rifle sounds exciting, Im also waiting on a custom barrel job on a 30ish year old Rem 700 my dad gave me too. Ive hunted everythng with that for my whole life, this new rifle is my first hunting rifle I purchased on my own.

Good choice on bullets, my handload for this is using the 140g Absolute Hammer. Im new to Hammers and learning how to safely work up the additional velocity they are famous for.

The new rifle sounds exciting, Im also waiting on a custom barrel job on a 30ish year old Rem 700 my dad gave me too. Ive hunted everythng with that for my whole life, this new rifle is my first hunting rifle I purchased on my own.
I'm new to the hammers as well, always been a nosler fan. My dad has been using them for years and the results he is getting are amazing. Part of the design for the 280AI was to achieve >3000fps with a short barrel using >97% powder burn with a temperature stable powder. Quickloads is predicting that with the hammer bullet and RL17 and a 18-20" barrel. I want to use a suppressor, hence the shorter barrel.

Last year I had a premium elk tag in Oregon, I ended up using my dad's 300SAUM, in case I had to stretch a shot out to 600yds. That load is ~150gn bullet from hammer. Ended up doing a stalk on a herd and shooting a 5x6 at 200yds and made me a believer in the hammers. I had to take a shot with the bull facing me laying in his bed looking at me. That bullet did so well that he never even moved, didnt roll over or even try to get up.

Part of the design for the 280AI was to achieve >3000fps with a short barrel using >97% powder burn with a temperature stable powder. Quickloads is predicting that with the hammer bullet and RL17 and a 18-20" barrel. I want to use a suppressor, hence the shorter barrel.
Youll get there. Dont overlook their Absolute bullets typically outrun their Hunters by a couple hundred fps.
Im still fine tuning my load working up safely but i learned from Hammer to start seated as long as possible to get to the top velocity faster. Im currently getting 3157fps but seating farther test got me over 3200...

I havent taken any game yet with a Hammer but cannot ignore the reviews. Reading about them they mimic the old partition technology except better with the nose petals staying in tact creating separate wound channles while the base acts like a wad cutter. I look forward to filling my tags this year with Hammers...

Youll get there. Dont overlook their Absolute bullets typically outrun their Hunters by a couple hundred fps.
Im still fine tuning my load working up safely but i learned from Hammer to start seated as long as possible to get to the top velocity faster. Im currently getting 3157fps but seating farther test got me over 3200...

I havent taken any game yet with a Hammer but cannot ignore the reviews. Reading about them they mimic the old partition technology except better with the nose petals staying in tact creating separate wound channles while the base acts like a wad cutter. I look forward to filling my tags this year with Hammers...
Stop getting me excited about this one!

What barrel twist, length and powder are you using?

What barrel twist, length and powder are you using?
8twist, 26in bbl. H4350

Im going to start my load dev over with some new Peterson brass thats supposed to arrive tomorrow. (But my Nosler brass is still a useable handload. ) per Hammer i will start about .020" off the lands and work up a pressure ladder. Zero on the charge thats half to a full grain below first hint of pressure and done.

My vote goes to the .280 Ai easier to source brass you can shoot standard .280 Remington ammo out of it to fire form the bass like any Ackley improved cartridges. You have bullet weights in .284 that range from 110 grain -190 grain . The .264 bullets go from 90 grains - 160 grains there isn't a huge difference between the two but you can get the .280 AI in a budget rifle like the savage axis ii

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top