JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

6.5PRC vs 280AI

• 6.5PRC

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 280AI

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
I am a fan of the 7mm mausrr, kissing cousin to the 7mm08. I use it primarily as a deer rifle. The heaviest I have shot out it is 154g bullet and it shoots those well..I figure out to about 400 yards max. My choice. If I had to shoot longer I would use a 7mm mag or 300win mag. I personally believe for deer the swede and the 7x57 are some of the best. Not to big or too small, just right.
I think that the more experience you have with firearms, the more you come to realize that it's not necessary to use 100 grains of powder to drive a hunting bullet fast enough to kill a deer or elk.
I worked with a guy who had a Weatherby 30-378. I think he shot it a couple of times LOL.

I like the heavy kickers as well. I would love to shoot an elk with a 375h&h, a 338 Win mag or a 300 weatherby. They certainly will do the job but it takes a lot to stay proficient with them and they are normally a lot heavier to carry. As I get older the desire to hunt all day with a heavy rifle doesn't seem so nice. It's nice to have a choice

2 years ?
I'd find a new gunsmith
Finding a good gunsmith isn't easy. I'd guess Koda is using the same guy that I do. He's seriously overloaded with work because he is a very good gunsmith and doesn't charge a lot for the service he provides.
I've used three other gunsmiths in the past. Two came highly recommended.
Gunsmith #1 put the scope base on my Ruger SRM visibly crooked...
Gunsmith #2 added metal to make a front sight taller on my 41 Mag and didn't make the sight like he was supposed to, plus charged more than quoted...

The only other guy I ever used was Kurt at H&K, who of course did a very fine job for me. Kurt was a bit of a fluke deal in the way I found him, but he does fine work. That was several years ago and I'd be surprised if he's still active.

Finding a good gunsmith isn't easy. I'd guess Koda is using the same guy that I do. He's seriously overloaded with work because he is a very good gunsmith and doesn't charge a lot for the service he provides.
I've used three other gunsmiths in the past. Two came highly recommended.
Gunsmith #1 put the scope base on my Ruger SRM visibly crooked...
Gunsmith #2 added metal to make a front sight taller on my 41 Mag and didn't make the sight like he was supposed to, plus charged more than quoted...

The only other guy I ever used was Kurt at H&K, who of course did a very fine job for me. Kurt was a bit of a fluke deal in the way I found him, but he does fine work. That was several years ago and I'd be surprised if he's still active.
Why not use one of the big name ones?

Why not use one of the big name ones?
At the time #1 and #2 were.
When I "found" the guy I use now, I found a guy I can trust.
Nothing I need done needs to be done in a hurry. My primary focus is hunting rifles, and I've always had more than one of those.
Besides, I'm supporting a small, family run business. I'll wait.

A trip out to his place a few years ago also led me to my 257 Roberts. That alone was worth meeting him!

At the time #1 and #2 were.
When I "found" the guy I use now, I found a guy I can trust.
Nothing I need done needs to be done in a hurry. My primary focus is hunting rifles, and I've always had more than one of those.
Besides, I'm supporting a small, family run business. I'll wait.

A trip out to his place a few years ago also led me to my 257 Roberts. That alone was worth meeting him!
I was at the Roseburg Bi-Mart a few weeks ago. I overheard the clerk talking to someone about 1000 yard shooting areas. I told them I was interested, since I've got a build. They asked if it was one of the local guys, said no, GA Precision. They hadn't heard of them, as they use someone local.

I was at the Roseburg Bi-Mart a few weeks ago. I overheard the clerk talking to someone about 1000 yard shooting areas. I told them I was interested, since I've got a build. They asked if it was one of the local guys, said no, GA Precision. They hadn't heard of them, as they use someone local.
I use Ruger 77MKIIs and Pre-64 Winchester Model 70s, with the Ruger being the one I'm most likely to "experiment" with. Those aren't usually on the list of gunsmiths that base their "platform" on the Remington 700, a gun I have no desire to own. The custom actions are also out of my price range.
GA builds fine firearms, but I only spend "stupid" money on my cars. :)

I use Ruger 77MKIIs and Pre-64 Winchester Model 70s, with the Ruger being the one I'm most likely to "experiment" with. Those aren't usually on the list of gunsmiths that base their "platform" on the Remington 700, a gun I have no desire to own. The custom actions are also out of my price range.
GA builds fine firearms, but I only spend "stupid" money on my cars. :)
I'm just a bit hesitant to give Joe Blow money to tinker on my guns. Especially someone I've never heard of. I'm sure you're the same with your cars.

Kurt went on a steep decline after his wife died. I haven't seen him in his shop since last November.
I was chatting with him one afternoon when a young woman came in with a Model 94 with the dreaded load gate failure. Without missing a beat, he took it apart there at the counter, extracted the stuck round, tightened the load gate retaining screw, put it all back together and handed it back to her.

I'm just a bit hesitant to give Joe Blow money to tinker on my guns. Especially someone I've never heard of. I'm sure you're the same with your cars.
Absolutely!
My cars are rarely ever touched by anyone but myself. "Snobby" is probably the correct term to describe me in that instance. Cars n trucks is what I do for a living, with racecars, murdersickels and guns for fun. :D

With the exception of Kurt, in the past that's exactly how I'd felt, though. I'd payed someone good money to tinker with my guns. I don't doubt I could have gotten the scope mount straighter that the "gunsmith". I'm pretty good with tools and machines and if the person working on my gun can't do a much better job that I, why am I paying them?
I'm very comfortable with "my" gunsmith. I think developing a business relationship is important.

The gunsmith that the old Surplus Center used was supposed to be good.

So... I have commented on this thread before, in favor of the 280AI. I took delivery of my new build this weekend and thought I would update. First, I'm partial to 7mm to start with and secondly, my dad gave me the 280Rem when I turned 13 for hunting and I have killed a lot of game with it. The PRC's were intriguing to me, but I wanted to keep the action for sentimental reasons, so after some research I went with the 280AI as the bolt fit the case. Action was balanced and blueprinted, X-caliber Carbon Fiber 20" barrel, Timmney trigger, AG Composite Stock, custom ported cherry bomb for suppressor.

My dad and I have a load designed for the barrel, RL17, with Hammer bullets that should burn >95% of powder and give a velocity of ~3200fps, if we can find a node that the barrel likes.

Now I have to figure out the scope and validate the barrel. I bought a Sig Tango 6, but didn't pay attention to the weight, its a beautiful scope, but weighs a lot. So probably use my Sig Whiskey 6 until I sell the Tango. During the build I ended up with a 28 Nosler that had a Nightforce NX8 on it, which I really like.

The 280AI is on the bottom the 28 Nosler on the top is a Seekins Havok. Can't wait to get it out and will update on groups. If it is like the Havok I will be happy, it shoot 1/2 MOA.

1000008373.jpg

I like the heavy kickers as well. I would love to shoot an elk with a 375h&h, a 338 Win mag or a 300 weatherby. They certainly will do the job but it takes a lot to stay proficient with them and they are normally a lot heavier to carry. As I get older the desire to hunt all day with a heavy rifle doesn't seem so nice. It's nice to have a choice
Just did a few rounds of 338 today to keep my range neighbors on their toes lol and yea it was spot on !

My thread came back... again.... :)

Whats funny is I just got home from the range rezeroing my handload. I changed seating depth, found a node just under 1moa last weekend. Confirmed the same group size today, then confirmed my dial out to 2 and 300yds.

1713751690404.jpeg

So... I have commented on this thread before, in favor of the 280AI. I took delivery of my new build this weekend and thought I would update. First, I'm partial to 7mm to start with and secondly, my dad gave me the 280Rem when I turned 13 for hunting and I have killed a lot of game with it. The PRC's were intriguing to me, but I wanted to keep the action for sentimental reasons, so after some research I went with the 280AI as the bolt fit the case. Action was balanced and blueprinted, X-caliber Carbon Fiber 20" barrel, Timmney trigger, AG Composite Stock, custom ported cherry bomb for suppressor.

My dad and I have a load designed for the barrel, RL17, with Hammer bullets that should burn >95% of powder and give a velocity of ~3200fps, if we can find a node that the barrel likes.

Now I have to figure out the scope and validate the barrel. I bought a Sig Tango 6, but didn't pay attention to the weight, its a beautiful scope, but weighs a lot. So probably use my Sig Whiskey 6 until I sell the Tango. During the build I ended up with a 28 Nosler that had a Nightforce NX8 on it, which I really like.

The 280AI is on the bottom the 28 Nosler on the top is a Seekins Havok. Can't wait to get it out and will update on groups. If it is like the Havok I will be happy, it shoot 1/2 MOA.

View attachment 1867535
Nice rifle builds.

Ive read nothing but good reviews on the Nightforce scopes. The guys over at Rokslide intentionally drop test them and they are the only ones that hold zero with dial turrets.
What Hammer will you pick?
I went with the 140gn Absolute, getting 3200fps. If I had to do over Id probably go with their new 145gnHHT.

Nice rifle builds.

Ive read nothing but good reviews on the Nightforce scopes. The guys over at Rokslide intentionally drop test them and they are the only ones that hold zero with dial turrets.
What Hammer will you pick?
I went with the 140gn Absolute, getting 3200fps. If I had to do over Id probably go with their new 145gnHHT.
The HHT sounds coool! Weird that you have t set the tips, but doesn't look too hard.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRNEgDFaNFk

The HHT sounds coool! Weird that you have t set the tips, but doesn't look too hard.
Its not hard at all. Im going to use the HHTs on my 25-06ai and ordered some samples. They are new this year or I would have with the 280ai.
Ive heard Hammer is looking into a tipping machine, until then customers have to tip their bullets.

Its not hard at all. Im going to use the HHTs on my 25-06ai and ordered some samples. They are new this year or I would have with the 280ai.
Ive heard Hammer is looking into a tipping machine, until then customers have to tip their bullets.
Not a problem for me. The more my fingerprints are on things the more engaged I am. I didn't buy my first commercial fishing pole until I was durned near 40 and instead build my own. That's also why I've loaded the majority of my non semi automatic center fire ammunition over the years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top