RifleClass.com
Oregon Rifleworks
Southwest Firearms Forum
Gun Deals
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Low Price Guns
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

6.5CM RDF Reloading questions

Reactions
Sooo (new here, hence the name)

I’m reloading for the 6.5CM and i finally got it to group semi-decent (MOA) at 100yd... brand new gun, brand new vortex diamond back tactical 4-12x44
Load is Hornady brass, fed 210, 140gr (9g) Nosler RDF, 39gr Hybrid V. OACL 2.815
hand loading I have to shoot max powder charge to group smaller than 1.5” group

I just got home and weighed the remaining 50 RDFs ona beam and digi scale and they’re all 148.1-149.2.
I emailed Nosler but I want to load and potentially shoot tommorow but I’m not sure I can confidently load these.

anybody have weights on these to compare? Are they supposed to weigh 8-10grain more????

Reactions
The 6.5CM is an easy cartridge to load as its inherently accurate and not picky about loads. What rifle do you have?
I am not suprised to see 1 grn variation in some bullets. CM's love H4350 for one good powder choice and I am still suprised at how accurate Hornady ELD bullets are. If you are not shooting game try the ELD-M's in 140 or 147grn. For game the 143grn ELD-X is the one.
Good Shooting

OP
F
Reactions
The 6.5CM is an easy cartridge to load as its inherently accurate and not picky about loads. What rifle do you have?
I am not suprised to see 1 grn variation in some bullets. CM's love H4350 for one good powder choice and I am still suprised at how accurate Hornady ELD bullets are. If you are not shooting game try the ELD-M's in 140 or 147grn. For game the 143grn ELD-X is the one.
Good Shooting
The Thompson center compass. Can’t get Hornady ammo to group right i can get the Accubond LR and the Berger hybrids to group sub MOA

the whole reason for the post was to have someone else weigh they’re RDF projectile and postthe results. I’m trying to figure out if it is a bad batch or if it’s normal.

Reactions: wp4

Arne K

Reactions
Edited out my suggestion of the factory ammo since you posted while I was typing that you already tried it. I have two 6.5 CM rifles and haven't gotten 147's to group as well as 140's and 143's in either rifle.

Reactions
Sooo (new here, hence the name)

I’m reloading for the 6.5CM and i finally got it to group semi-decent (MOA) at 100yd... brand new gun, brand new vortex diamond back tactical 4-12x44
Load is Hornady brass, fed 210, 140gr (9g) Nosler RDF, 39gr Hybrid V. OACL 2.815
hand loading I have to shoot max powder charge to group smaller than 1.5” group

I just got home and weighed the remaining 50 RDFs ona beam and digi scale and they’re all 148.1-149.2.
I emailed Nosler but I want to load and potentially shoot tommorow but I’m not sure I can confidently load these.

anybody have weights on these to compare? Are they supposed to weigh 8-10grain more????
Very strange they would weigh almost 10 grains more than advertised! I don't have experience with these projectiles, but here's a bump for someone that does.

OP
F
Reactions
Very strange they would weigh almost 10 grains more than advertised! I don't have experience with these projectiles, but here's a bump for someone that does.
Going to verify scale accuracy tommorow. Called sportsman’s in Albany where I bought them to double check and they opened and weighed and they were all +/- .1 gr

Reactions: wp4
I don't shoot RDF bullets but not because the one's I tried were 8gr overweight, something isn't right.

Have you tried setting tare weight on your scale to zero?

Reactions
Found the issue. Faulty scale. Checked the bullets on a new scale and it was perfect took the scale back and got a replacement and it’s all good now.
Suspicions confirmed. Glad you got it figured out!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wolf Creek Rd Public Shooting Lanes Cleanup!
North Fork Wolf Creek Rd public shooting lanes
N Fork Wolf Creek Rd, Oregon 97144, USA
ARPC Speed Steel
ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club)
29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks
  • Centerfire Gunworks
    1.00 star(s)
    This shop is an extortion racket. It’s the only one in town and charges like a monopoly. He can’t fulfill commitments and he won’t provide estimates.
    • Emm
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I'd be a lot happier if they were closer to the Couve but they are definitely worth the drive Friendly staff and very competitive prices on ammo...
    • GWS
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    Tricounty Gun Club is an excellent place to practice, train, and compete with multiple shooting disciplines. Members have card key access to...
    • Whisky Tahoe

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online