JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one?

• Total voters
Weatherby also made the old 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum wildcat cartridge legitimate last year. They are offering formed brass and 3 different loadings for it. Here is a photo of it on the far right of this lineup. The 26 Nosler is just to the left of it.

View attachment 357990

The New 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum and Mark V Rifle

Both the 26 Nosler and the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum offer incredible ballistics, and are extremely flat shooting. Downsides would be the high cost of the ammo, and a shortened barrel life.

The Weatherby is a silly response to try to be the biggest and bestest 6.5.....in my opinion.
The whole bunch is over-bore with the Weatherby winning the race to burn up some barrel.

The best 6.5 design is probably the 6.5 CM.

I voted 6.5 Creedmore cause it's way superior and cause I don't own a swede:p
Honestly I would decide what rifle I want and see if it comes in both,then make the decision. Like a CZed,they don't make the CM so you'd have to go swede.
My American is stupid accurate. I mean you get pissed if the groups with the wrong powder are bigger than a quarter!
I'm just guessing the swede ain't gunna be any better for that.
So how much more energy can you get with the swede?
Given the same weight bullet,will it make that much difference ?
Maybe on larger animals?
Yeah I'd decide on a rifle first then take the 6.5 it comes in.
If it comes in either then how available is swede brass? Hornady CM brass is everywhere

The ordinary 140gr bullet in 6.5x55SE with handloading can be pretty accurate.

This is a four shot group with my 1898 m/96 long rifle, shot at 100m -

upload_2017-4-21_23-21-52.png

As you can see, I missed the darn target, but still...and yes, before you ask, I can STILL see that dot at 100m - just.

tac

Most Howa rifles I've heard of in 6.5x55SE have a very slow twist - around 1:12 or longer, I'm told, that is compatible with 140gr or lighter bullets.

ta
140gr is actually rather heavy-for-caliber by American standards, and depending on the bullet design, require a 1:8 or better to stabilize.
My 6.5x57AI barrel with a 1:9 twist won't stabilize the longest 142-3grn(+) bullets, even at velocities nearing 2900fps.

I seriously doubt a 1:12 twist would handle bullets much over 123grs.

A rough comparison of the two based on my Nosler Reloading Guide #7:
upload_2017-4-21_16-57-46.png

• Looks like the 6.5 CM shines between 125 and 130 grains
  • Looks like the 6.5x55 comes into it's own at 140 grains, likely because the long bullet can be seated out much longer.

Both will get the job done just fine with low recoil and low barrel wear.

6.5 Creed is my vote I voted with my wallet and own two one gas gun and one bolt gun.
It's hard not to like the Creedmoor.
Seems like the pinnacle of design with what we now know.

If the .260 Rem was the garage band, the 6.5 CM would be the full orchestra.

Optimum :
Case capacity
Neck angle
Neck length
Overall length

Honorable mention has to go to the Swede.
Maybe the finest rifle cartridge of its era and still more than viable today.

DD
Who has sinned with the 26 Nosler but does not own a Creedmoor.......yet.
(might like to do some sinning with 6.5x284 as well)

:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top