JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The accubonds have similar bc as the ballistic tips and have shown to be as accurate in my limited testing, so I automatically would gravitate towards the tougher bonded bullet when it comes to elk. I have seen a bull elk killed quite handily with a 165 Sst from a 30-06 but shot placement was perfect and range was moderate.

That's not a bad policy to have. Accubonds were a response to the issues Ballistic Tips had when they evolved from the Solid Base.

That's not a bad policy to have. Accubonds were a response to the issues Ballistic Tips had when they evolved from the Solid Base.
The bt's are certainly more economical to shoot vs the accubonds so if they work for ya why switch. I might have to do some testing with them on deer with my 308.

I have used them on deer with great results. Then again, I've had good luck with Accubonds, and Partitions too. I'm also a fan of the TTSX and LRX from Barnes
Any experience with new Nosler E Tip? Was going to join my father in California for a hog hunt but would be required to shoot lead free ammo and I have a few boxes of these on my bench. Guessing I could use Barnes's load data?

Considering 6.5PRC has as much or more energy than a 30-06, what do you think?

6.5 means nothing, considering it can range from 6.5Grendel up to 6.5x55 which has killed more moose than any round in history.

6.5 PRC is the round being discussed.

6.5Creedmoor is a necked down .308 that shoots flatter, retains more energy at range and has better first round hit probability.

6.5 PRC is a 6.5Creedmoor on steroids, taking it up past 30-06 energy. Sling a 150 grain at 3200+ and shoots flat as a laser.

Modern designed rounds with short powder stacks are much more efficient than legacy rounds. Its why the 6.5CM is superior to the .264 win mag despite the win mag using 20% more powder. The PRC smokes both of them.

View attachment 764637
So basically 6.5 PRC is just like the old 6.5 Rem Mag.

That's what my dad told me. Apparently he got OK'd to go back in the woods a couple of days later. He's a Detective, so I imagine it's different for him as far as how much influence work has over his personal life.
My buddy is in the same boat. Same job. He had to stay home cause he went 1.5 miles over the border to do some work on a second property in Montana. So he said screw and they event back to do more work on it.

Any experience with new Nosler E Tip? Was going to join my father in California for a hog hunt but would be required to shoot lead free ammo and I have a few boxes of these on my bench. Guessing I could use Barnes's load data?

I've never used them because I was already in the Barnes camp when they came out. My Nosler book says start at the bottom with e-tips, so they are probably like any mono bullet where their length is longer in proportion to their weight vs a jacketed lead bullet. Its interesting the bullet has no rings, much like the old Barnes XLC and Winchester FailSafe. The rings were meant to help the bullet deform and catch the rifling better.

I've never used them because I was already in the Barnes camp when they came out. My Nosler book says start at the bottom with e-tips, so they are probably like any mono bullet where their length is longer in proportion to their weight vs a jacketed lead bullet. Its interesting the bullet has no rings, much like the old Barnes XLC and Winchester FailSafe. The rings were meant to help the bullet deform and catch the rifling better.

I thought the rings helped with fouling and reduced pressure.

P

My E Tips all have a sort of "belt band" which they say is for expansion control. I have the Nosler reloading manual but it list no data corI have the Nosler reloading manual but it list no data for VV160. My Vhitavouri app has 160 data for 120gr ttsx which is why I was attempting some cross reference. And I think it would be totally cool to also load these in 6.5 x 55 and shoot something with our old M41B

Found it:

The difficulties and their solutions with these single-metal bullets is chronicled by the evolution of the Barnes X Bullet introduced in 1989. X Bullets developed a great reputation for deep penetration in game and near complete weight retention. However, accuracy was so-so in many rifles and copper fouling in the bore was considerable.The copper bullets were also long for their weight, compared to bullets of the same caliber and weight made with a lead core and copper-alloy jacket. That increased bearing surface, and pressure. Barnes' first solution was XLC coating on X Bullets to decrease friction and fouling. Randy Brooks, the inventor of the X Bullet and owner of Barnes at the time, had been experimenting with a series of rings cut around the shank of X Bullets. The final version of the grooves measure slightly under bore diameter to reduce bearing surface and provided a place to deposit material scraped off by the rifling lands. The result was lower pressure and less bore-fouling. Barnes named the bullet the Triple-Shock X Bullet and introduced it in 2003.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top