JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shot placement and bullet construction.
Even with 300 magnum, if you don't hit vitals... it won't matter.
I'm loadin 127 LRX in my 6.5 CM, 130 ttsx in 270 and 168 ttsx in 06. And I would not hesitate with any of those at 400 yards to take an elk. If the elk got up and walked...it's the shooters fault.

The 06 has a pass through on 6 Bulls and a cow at 400 yards with the ttsx

I missed this post yesterday. Perfect example of the "energy" myth. The bullets passed through, so how much "energy" was imparted by the bullet? Not much, but the bullet destroyed the vital organ(s) so the animal died.

P

Hornady doesn't post it, but if you call them, they will tell you the performance envelop for that particular projectile.

An excerpt:

The new Hornady ELD-X hunting bullets are designed to deliver the highest BC possible for the specific bullet caliber and weight. They also provide match level accuracy at long range and effective terminal performance from maximum safe initial velocities down to ~1600 fps. In addition, the Heat ShieldTM tip creates the perfect meplat that is replicated every single time, and is not affected by aerodynamic heating.

P

Spoke to my dad just now and he said the father-in-law went out the next day and searched for the elk to no avail. Apparently my brother was able to convince his boss that hunting is de facto quarantine and he's been up in the area the last couple of days searching and hunting as well.

On another note, my dad loaded up some rounds for a rifle in .30-06 AI he gave me using the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip bullets. I don't recall seeing these for sale when searching for bullets.

Of the three bullet types I've tried in the rifle working up loads, it seemed to prefer the Winchesters and the Nosler Ballistic Tip, both in 180 grain.

Which of those two would folks here suggest for performance on elk?

Spoke to my dad just now and he said the father-in-law went out the next day and searched for the elk to no avail. Apparently my brother was able to convince his boss that hunting is de facto quarantine and he's been up in the area the last couple of days searching and hunting as well.

On another note, my dad loaded up some rounds for a rifle in .30-06 AI he gave me using the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip bullets. I don't recall seeing these for sale when searching for bullets.

Of the three bullet types I've tried in the rifle working up loads, it seemed to prefer the Winchesters and the Nosler Ballistic Tip, both in 180 grain.

They are the same bullet. The silvertip just has.fancy coating. I would recommend neither for elk. Get yourself some accubonds.

Yep, he gets to wound and kill as many as he wants until he gets to put his tag on one...

I cannot agree with this quoted statement.
Wounding and killing as many as he wants until he gets to put his tag on one , is not hunting....
Nor is it respectful of the animal.

Wounding a animal while hunting , happens at times sad to say.
A hunter will do whatever they can to prevent that from happening.
They will also do everything possible to recover the animal , that has been wounded by them and escaped.

To continue to hunt "until he gets to put his tag on one" , is not what I was taught.
Normally I do not "push" my ideas on others , but I would urge you to reconsider your thoughts here.

Statements like the one quoted also do not do hunters any favors in public relations department.
And to be blunt , are down right offensive , at least to me.
Andy

its a 30-06... probably the best proven elk slayer in North America. Sure, optimize bullet selection but part of me wonders if after all this discussion if your still looking for the best magic bullet then you've missed the point of what got us here in the first place.

I cannot agree with this quoted statement.
Wounding and killing as many as he wants until he gets to put his tag on one , is not hunting....
Nor is it respectful of the animal.

Wounding a animal while hunting , happens at times sad to say.
A hunter will do whatever they can to prevent that from happening.
They will also do everything possible to recover the animal , that has been wounded by them and escaped.

To continue to hunt "until he gets to put his tag on one" , is not what I was taught.
Normally I do not "push" my ideas on others , but I would urge you to reconsider your thoughts here.

Statements like the one quoted also do not do hunters any favors in public relations department.
And to be blunt , are down right offensive , at least to me.
Andy

Of course it was said in jest. This is not how my family hunts. We've never lost an animal in decades of hunting.

But if he fails to find the elk and confirm it died, I don't see the issue with harvesting another one. For all he knows, it was shot by another hunter the next day, or it was not mortally wounded and is still roaming the woods.

It was searched for for two full days and not found. If he finds it, he'll tag it, even if the meat is now ruined.

Of course it was said in jest. This is not how my family hunts. We've never lost an animal in decades of hunting.

But if he fails to find the elk and confirm it died, I don't see the issue with harvesting another one. For all he knows, it was shot by another hunter the next day, or it was not mortally wounded and is still roaming the woods.

It was searched for for two full days and not found. If he finds it, he'll tag it, even if the meat is now ruined.

Thank you for clarifying.

Jest or not....
The statement is now out there for all to see.
And can still make all hunters look bad.

As for not having an issue with "harvesting another one"...
Lets look at the words "another one"...
These words imply ( at the very least ) that one was already had.
So for me...this means that your brother is done* for the season , recovered elk or not.
*Done as in "hunting"..but not searching for the elk he shot.
And yes...this may indeed be an impossible task , but one that needs to be carried out.
Andy

The shooter has the skill.

The cartridge has the capability. The less powerful 6.5x55 has been the most common cartridge used to kill the European equivalent of the elk for years. My oldest brother used a 264 Win Magnum, only slightly more powerful than the PRC for 25 years and never lost an Elk. He didn't shoot them long distance. I don't know what ammunition he used, but I know he reloaded a lot of Speer. I don't think he used anything special. His hunting strategy was to find a stump that provided enough cover to mostly break up his shape and then drink coffee from his thermos until an animal came in range.

I don't know what the performance of the bullet used in the OP is like.

I think sometimes unpredictable sheite happens and I don't fault either the shooter or the cartridge. Just a combination of several things together followed by a rifle jamming and preventing a second shot.

Losing an elk doesnt sound like its a problem in your camp and it sounds like a good effort was made to recover the elk. I wont critisize continuing to hunt, as long as the problems that prevented the elk from falling were identified and solved.

He killed that bull. He should notch his tag. I'm really trying to be excellent to each other here, but if he continues to hunt, in my opinion, he's a poacher.

No easy way to say it. Poacher.

P

wow, Easy there every one.
I don't think the guy is a poacher if he doesn't notch his tag if he doesn't find the bull/animal after A true effort to find him.
I don't think That is the law to notch your tag If you can't find it and it's all individual hunting ethics.
he's the one who has to live with it and it stings for a long time.

It ain't about the law, it's about what's right.

One man's opinion, let's be clear on that.

P
I appreciate your input even though I disagree with your opinion.

That said, I'd rather have the woods full of hunters with your ethics than the ones I see trolling the logging roads, taking a shot, see the animal run off, then never get out of the truck to go see if they might have hit it.

It ain't about the law, it's about what's right.

And lets not judge until you've walked in his shoes. Have you ever lost an animal?
This is hunting, the they guy has shown no disrespect for the prey. He posted here to learn the mistake and has read the critiques, the rifle malfunctioned preventing a second shot, the guy spent 2 days searching. That does not sound like someone who disrespects the prey. Hunting is not grocery shopping... as long as everything is done to prevent this tragedy within someones understanding and capabilities I'm willing to understand and accept the very small percentage of losses that can happen when you pursue a prey in a fight to the death. Some animals have a stronger will to survive, this is nature, some get away against all odds.

Last Edited:
And lets not judge until you've walked in his shoes. Have you ever lost an animal?
This is hunting, the they guy has shown no disrespect for the prey. He posted here to learn the mistake and has read the critiques, the rifle malfunctioned preventing a second shot, the guy spent 2 days searching. That does not sound like someone who disrespects the prey. Hunting is not grocery shopping... as long as everything is done to prevent this tragedy within someones understanding and capabilities I'm willing to understand and accept the very small percentage of losses that can happen when you pursue a prey in a fight to the death. Some animals have a stronger will to survive, this is nature, some get away against all odds.

I lost a blacktail buck in 1991. Pretty sure it wasn't immediately mortal but I had to stop the search when the blood trail crossed onto private land and the landowner said keep off my property.

So I notched my tag and waited for elk season.

P

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads