JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The US Marine Corps's 2006 Phase 1 Ammunition study determined that when factoring damage based measures and accuracy the 6.8 had slightly better performance at 0-400m and the 6.5 had slightly better performance at 400-800m. One thing that is an issue with the 6.5 is it is prone to more issues with extraction because it has a long tip to case neck distance.

On both of them, I would just consider getting an AR10 platform. Both have issues and I'm not a fan of either. When I ran the ballistics on the 6.5 and considered what I was wanting the round for (same as you, coyotes n vermin, maybe a bambi)....figured the ranges I would be using it for would be less than 500 for the most part on the vermin, then figured cost....I figured it would be more economical to just do the 6x45 instead.

I think barrel length is a factor. The Grendel cartridge is better off in a longer barrel meanwhile the 6.8 does just fine in the shorter barrels. Just what I've heard so take it with a grain of salt or a few.

if you are doing a lot of shooting (varmint), you might also take into consideration barrel life. The 6.8 SPC is more forgiving on the barrel than the 6.5 Grendel. I believe the ammo is more affordable, too - even if you roll your own.

Ballistically they are very similar, either one will get the job done on deer out to 300 yds. or so and coyotes to at least double that. As far as just going with an AR10 platform to get calibers with better ballistics, that is fine as long as you are not humping the damn thing around all day. The lightest AR-10 platform you will field with a scope will be around 10 lbs. where you can keep a scoped ar-15 in 6.8 spc or the 6.5 grendel around 8lbs. Go to AR performance.com lots of good info there including comparisons of the two calibers. Harrison the owner is a good guy and very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have no idea where you guys are getting your info from. As for the two being ballistically the same ..... not so much. 6.8 is ok for under 300 yards. 6.5 kicks butt out past 800.

Of the talk about just going with an AR10. Good platform, but waaaayyyy expensive. The whole point of going with either a 6.5 or 6.8 is to stick with the AR15 platform ..... otherwise, there are plenty of other kinds of semi auto's out there.

I shoot the 6.5 ...... I think it out performs the 6.8. Either one has the same issues with magazines and ammo. As for the 6.5 not cycling reliably, that's just not so.

If you really want to get the straight scope on the 6.5 Grendel, go to this sight and research/ask questions ........

6.5 Grendel Forum : : For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

:s0095:
I have no idea where you guys are getting your info from. As for the two being ballistically the same ..... not so much. 6.8 is ok for under 300 yards. 6.5 kicks butt out past 800.

Of the talk about just going with an AR10. Good platform, but waaaayyyy expensive. The whole point of going with either a 6.5 or 6.8 is to stick with the AR15 platform ..... otherwise, there are plenty of other kinds of semi auto's out there.

I shoot the 6.5 ...... I think it out performs the 6.8. Either one has the same issues with magazines and ammo. As for the 6.5 not cycling reliably, that's just not so.

If you really want to get the straight scope on the 6.5 Grendel, go to this sight and research/ask questions ........

6.5 Grendel Forum : : For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

Sorry for raining on your parade Mutt. I could have never guessed you bought the Grendel unless you told us.:s0095: While the 6.5 Grendel may have a slight edge at longer ranges in trajectory and energy due to availability of higher bc bullets. I see little or no difference between the two out to 500 or 600 yds. especially when using bullets constructed for game. Neither one has enough energy to consistantly take deer size game much past 300 yds. If you will be using it mostly for coyotes then I can see where the Grendel may provide a slight edge at long range. Still not enough to get too worked up about. It is like saying a 270 has better long range capabilities than a 30-06. As you all know that debate still rages, as this one is bound to.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top