JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking around on the net and found alot of information about 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Being in Washington State (.24 caliber min for big game), I wanted something that would be an all around hunting rifle in an AR-15 platform. So I settled on the 6.5 Grendel, I have been interested in this round for about three years.

I was hoping for personal experiences to be shared from the members here. Who has hunted what, with what factory loads. What hiccups people have come across.

I have read that certain mags can create feeding issues, this seems to be the most reported issue on the net.

Factory ammo selection, for hunting purposes, is very low at this point and time. Seems Hornady SST and Black Match are all that's available. I will only be using factory ammo, as I do not and will not re-load. So shared experiences with certain load would be nice to read about. I see Federal makes a Fusion series for the 6.5 Grendel.

Here is what I have so far for my build that I have assembled:

Anderson Stripped Lower
M&P AR-15 Custom Parts Kit
Magpul Pistol Grip
Tiger Rock Carbine Complete Buffer Kit
ElftMann-SE 3.5lb drop in FLAT trigger

I have ordered a complete upper:

Bear Creek Arsenal
6.5 Grendel 20" Stainless Heavy Barrel 1:8 Twist
Rifle Length Gas System
15" MLOK Rail
Side Charging Upper

Mags:
QTY 2 of : CPD AR-15 6.5 Grendel 10 Round SS

Optic:
Burris Fullfield 2-7x35 First Generation (19975-1979 era)

Currently I have WPA Wolf 123 FMJ ammo on order (600 rounds). For plinking, and possibly coyotes.

I did research on the BCA complete uppers and it seems that recently they have been getting good reviews, previous years seems like a mixed bag on reviews. I was going to buy a PSA complete upper, but decided to go with the BCA and give them a try.

Any experiences with the parts I am using to put this rifle together would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks
P

Here are stock pics of my selections:

bca upper.png

elftmann se flat.jpg anderson lower.jpg
tiger rock.jpg

Since you asked................To be frank you are using mostly the cheapest junkiest parts u can buy. BCA is hot garbage. Ive seen barrels from them that were not even rifled.

For $800 you can get a Larue UU kit that is every way shape and form is superior to what you have listed.

Good luck.

Since you asked................To be frank you are using mostly the cheapest junkiest parts u can buy. BCA is hot garbage. Ive seen barrels from them that were not even rifled.

For $800 you can get a Larue UU kit that is every way shape and form is superior to what you have listed.

Good luck.

Yeah, I have heard some bad stories about them. I will be inspecting the upper thoroughly when its received. I bought a BCA G26 barrel from them, and I am extremely accurate with that in my pistol. That's why I decided to give BCA another piece of my business.

There are also alot of good reviews through out other sites and videos regarding BCA.

Besides the BCA upper, you are also saying that the Elftmann trigger, Tiger Rock kit, M&P AR15 kit and my Burris scope are cheap garbage?

Thank you for your input.

- P

Pretty much. Haven't shot the elftmann trigger but for the same money you can get a G trigger which is beyond reproach.

The rest is no name, low budget, bottom barrel. Outside of the XTR3, almost everything Burris makes in chicom or Philippines. Sorry not trying to be mean its just the facts.

Pretty much. Haven't shot the elftmann trigger but for the same money you can get a G trigger which is beyond reproach.

The rest is no name, low budget, bottom barrel. Outside of the XTR3, almost everything Burris makes in chicom or Philippines. Sorry not trying to be mean its just the facts.
Not this one. It was made in America. It was when they first started up as a company and started making the first FullField line back in the 70's.

What is the G trigger? You mean Gieselle? If so, I have tried those, and im not a fan at all of those.
I would have bought a Timney (which is what I wanted), but no one had them instock where I live. I try to support the local man as much as possible.

Also, my post stated I would like to hear personal experiences. Not generalities. I am not taking offense to the responses of calling my build garbage. but there has been no substance to what people are stating or much of any experiences.

I was hoping to hear experiences, and if there were problems, how they were addressed.

- P

Last Edited:
I messed around with the grendel for a little bit. From what I remember, the Alexander Arms mags were the only ones I tried that would run. I think they were made by E lander.
ASC mags are good to go as well. Poorly made bolts and lowers sometimes have the issue of not the right postion or feed angle to ensure reliable feeding.

Not this one. It was made in America. It was when they first started up as a company and started making the first FullField line back in the 70's.
- P
If its a 40 year old scope then maybe. Probably Japanese imported.

The newer ones aren't Its made in China or the Philippines and imported here, then they slap a sticker or tighten a screw.

The cheapest current completely made in the USA scope is the Vortex AMG, and even that has a german reticle. You can get one for about $1800 if you look hard.

Then again I don't own a magnified optic that was under $1500. You get what you pay for in glass.

If its a 40 year old scope then maybe. Probably Japanese imported.

The newer ones aren't Its made in China or the Philippines and imported here, then they slap a sticker or tighten a screw.

The cheapest current completely made in the USA scope is the Vortex AMG, and even that has a german reticle. You can get one for about $1800 if you look hard.

Then again I don't own a magnified optic that was under $1500. You get what you pay for in glass.

So when it says its made in USA on the scope, then its not really made in the USA? Aside from the glass.

Also, my original post never asked if I got the best parts, I was asking for experiences. I know the price points I was buying items at.

Again, not taking offense, but all your responses seem to be about the build quality, and that is not what I was asking about.

But then again it is an open forum, and everyone can do as they please.

- P

Last Edited:
What were the reasons you stopped messing around with the 6.5 Grendel?
Thanks,
P

It didn't do any one thing particularly well. It was ok for a compromise cartridge. I figured for the same price for components, I could reload for a cartridge that could get me out further, and hit harder if I decided to hunt with it.

If one is dead set on hunting with an AR15, it's a fine choice.

It didn't do any one thing particularly well. It was ok for a compromise cartridge. I figured for the same price for components, I could reload for a cartridge that could get me out further, and hit harder if I decided to hunt with it.

If one is dead set on hunting with an AR15, it's a fine choice.

Thanks for the response.

I walk in the woods and open spaces in Eastern Wa usually in the Fall and Spring. I just wanted something light, and able to take most game for whatever I may possibly come across, in a semi auto.

- P

So when it says its made in USA on the scope, then its not really made in the USA? Aside from the glass.

Also, my original post never asked if I got the best parts, I was asking for experiences. I know the price points I was buying items at.

Again, not taking offense, but all your responses seem to be about the build quality, and that is not what I was asking about.

But then again it is an open forum, and everyone can do as they please.

- P
Yea you can't trust that. They import components from china, slap them together and say made in the USA. It may be simply putting a turret cap on.

Burris is a trash low integrity company but that's another story for another day.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top